• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If there are two overs to go, who would you rather have coming in? Mills or Vettori?

Mills. Vettori tries to invent too much in the one-day game. How often do you see him getting out bowled after he's walked right across his stumps trying to create?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Have to go with Mills. Vettori is better at rotating the strike and keeping the scoreboard ticking over, but Mills has power to clear the rope.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Franklin's injury?
It is something to do with his knee, I hink he ended up having a reconstruction or something similar.

Full strength odi

McCullum
Ryder
Taylor ( we need an attacking batsman at 3, his normal spot)
Fulton ( These two can accumulate and hit the gaps in the middle overs)
Vincent

Styris ( he would be the best option to do the finishing McMillan type role imo)
Oram
Vettori
Franklin ( Aldridge, cant be any worse, worth a try)
Mills
Bond ( Mason or Patel)

Tests

1)?
Sinclair
Fulton
Fleming
Ryder/ Vincent/Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Bond

One of Taylor, Ryder, or Vincent would bat at 5 and another one of those 3 would replace Fleming when he retires.

Completely disagree with you here Matt, Sinclair in the test form of the game is NOT an opener! Although I am not entirely happy with Bell (as I feel it is slightly back to the future), Bell and Cumming are genuine openers. Makeshift openers as we know are a waste of time.

In your ODI lineup, I would prefer the How/McCullum partnership over a McCullum/Ryder partnership as How is a perfect foil for McCullum he can successful rotate the strike and keep one end stable while giving McCullum the opportunity to find the gaps. Also Styris at 6 is not a good idea, he is a number 4 batsman and I don't view him as a good finisher when you have Oram in the team who can effectively finish the innings in a similar manner to McMillian (who only successfully finished the innings on rare occasions).

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Mills. Vettori tries to invent too much in the one-day game. How often do you see him getting out bowled after he's walked right across his stumps trying to create?
Definitely agree. Vettori tries to be too unorthadox and more often than not is not successful. Mills has the fence clearing power and can also rotate the strike to the batsman at the other end such as Oram who maybe finding the rope more often.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jesse Ryder - **** OD player. Just putting it out there.

Last edited:

Perm

Test match: Just about to start. And you're talking about ODIs. Just putting it out there.
Staying with the conversation, TBH.

Hoping to attend atleast one day of the Test, and it'll be my first live cricket experience. How exciting.

NZTailender

This will be my first time going to a test match. I'm hoping we bat first and I get to see FUlton bat. COnsidering our top order I should be seeing that at 11:05...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This will be my first time going to a test match. I'm hoping we bat first and I get to see FUlton bat. COnsidering our top order I should be seeing that at 11:05...
LOL you that confident that Bangers will get a few early wickets. If I were you guys, I would be going Day 1 or Day 2 for sure..

NZTailender

LOL you that confident that Bangers will get a few early wickets. If I were you guys, I would be going Day 1 or Day 2 for sure..
Our highest test partnership in the last few tests have been 25. New Zealand is a very seamer friendly wicket. You have Cumming coming back from injury and he may be scared of the short ball after being hit by Steyn, and Bell will be nervous after being recalled and under pressure to repay the faith. I would not be surprised if Mortaza gets a wicket in his first spell.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Staying with the conversation, TBH.

Hoping to attend atleast one day of the Test, and it'll be my first live cricket experience. How exciting.
Yeah, certainly wasn't a dig at you, or anyone else really - I just found it a bit odd as I came in here wanting to talk about the test and saw all the ODI talk. :p

Perm

I'll be hoping that Bangladesh bat and Shahriar Nafees tons up, helping to prove to the selectors he should've been in the ODI side. Bangladesh have really missed him, and Syed Rasel.

The main thing I'm hoping for is a crowd of more than 100 people.

NZTailender

I'll be hoping that Bangladesh bat and Shahriar Nafees tons up, helping to prove to the selectors he should've been in the ODI side. Bangladesh have really missed him, and Syed Rasel.

The main thing I'm hoping for is a crowd of more than 100 people.
I'm not familiar with university Oval. Is there somewhere you'd like to meet? If you're going to day 1 that is.

Perm

I'm not familiar with university Oval. Is there somewhere you'd like to meet? If you're going to day 1 that is.
Neither am I really, but I might've played footy close to there before. Will give you a buzz on MSN.

cbuts

International Debutant
I'm not saying that ODI knocks mean the same as Test knocks. What I'm saying is that Styris worked himself into a little bit of form with his 29, then was able to convert that to ODI success and is clearly an in-form batsman as shown by his knocks (ODIs, yes, but still runs under the belt).

I think all three of the batsmen you listed have the potential to be better too, no doubt in my mind. I just don't approve of dropping one of New Zealand's premier performers on the back of a poor series. As Phlegm said earlier, it strikes me as the 'put pressure on senior players tactic', rather than showing some faith and allowing them to get Test runs under their belt.

Styris is not a test player. Since his last century - 3 years ago he has scores of 5, 8, 17, 2 , 11, 54, 42, 16 3, 29. Pathetic!

cbuts

International Debutant
As has been pointed out, that isn't a good thing. If someone was poor in first class cricket in his last attempt at it and hasn't played it in over a year, they probably won't be very good at it. Just a hunch. Vettori would pretty much justify selection on his batting alone these days as well.
My point is, that since that time, he has developed as a bowler. He has been in the New Zealand team that whole time.

If he was to get a chance to play some first class cricket, you would see his average drop dramaticly

cbuts

International Debutant
*Loads shotgun*

Yes Richarson was bloody good but he could never wipe a team of the park like Fleming can.

Who cares what he 'could do' its what he did do that counts.

Richardson always stood up - and if i remember correctly he has the best average for a kiwi opener. Prob the hardest job in the world given some of our pitches in the passt 10 years