• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Pakistan in India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I despise this sentiment about how the series is 'finally' alive. It's only two days old! In any case:

It's not good, but its not horrible so thats why I said 75 runs should be the target. That's an average of about 15 for the tail and thats certainly respectable.
Hmm, the thing is you can probably point to a match or two each where one of Kumble, Zaheer and Harbhajan's batting has actually won or saved our team a match (I'm including ODIs as well to be fair) so I'm actually quite confident that if Laxman can stick around and bat well, India can get a 100 run lead. Its not guaranteed of course, and Shoaib could york Kumble and rip out his stumps, and then remove the rest quite quickly with India only 20 runs ahead, but I do think India has the tail to get a good lead.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hmm, the thing is you can probably point to a match or two each where one of Kumble, Zaheer and Harbhajan's batting has actually won or saved our team a match (I'm including ODIs as well to be fair) so I'm actually quite confident that if Laxman can stick around and bat well, India can get a 100 run lead. Its not guaranteed of course, and Shoaib could york Kumble and rip out his stumps, and then remove the rest quite quickly with India only 20 runs ahead, but I do think India has the tail to get a good lead.
Yeah agreed. Was thinking the same...

Laurrz

International Debutant
There's still 16 overs till the new ball, so while bowlers will be fresh - the ball will be not.
Any of those watching - is it reverse swinging? If not, easier to chip away at what will be a modest but useful lead.

Has Laxman done any good tail shepherding? Somehow have the impression that Tendulkar and Dravid are better at it. Not that Harbhajan & Zaheer on their day with the bat need much hand holding. For Harbhajan especially, Sami and not Afridi needs to be the role model. India going past 300 is a reasonable prospect at this point.

People calling for Jaffer's, Ganguly's ( & Tendulkar's) heads so to speak. After 1 innings, sigh.
yes, apparently the ball was reverse swinging

funnygirl

State Regular
People calling for Jaffer's, Ganguly's ( & Tendulkar's) heads so to speak. After 1 innings, sigh.
It is almost predictable that Tendulkar won't play under pressure in tests . Thats how its been for a while . As a Tendulkar fan i find it very painful .Nothing to take away the batting ability or the ridiculing the genius ,but the pressure factor is obvious for every one .

Ganguly ,what can i say .His failure is also a regularity .

Wasim Jaffer ,may be i am harsh .But he didn't look comfortable against quality attack .

Majin

International Debutant
Don't understand it myself either, both Dada and especially Sachin performed very well with the bat in the England series and Sachin still making runs in the ODI's before the Test, despite his poor luck with regards to conversion, and yet one innings apparently means they're both over the hill failures again. Think they both deserve a bit more respect than that, tbh.

Never been a fan of Jaffer, mind, and don't rate Gambhir either. Much rather see Chopra back in the team but I can't see it happening, and I wouldn't want to split the opening partnership up after the first test anyway.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Agreed.
**** some of the comments in this thread are annoying. How about waiting until the end of the series (or even the end of the match) until you get the knives out?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It shouldn't come as much of a surprise though, that Indian 'fans' are always trying to bring down the likes of Ganguly and Tendulkar without knowing **** all about the actual game and how these players have been performing. Same is true with Pakistan, although they usually try and take it out on players who have barely had time to settle.

pup11

International Coach
I really can't understand why everyone is being so critical about Jaffer, he has got a pretty decent technique which is what a test opener requires, he has done well both in home and away test series and he is probably one of the best proper test openers in the country.
D.Karthik on the other hand is more likely to fail as doesn't seem to have much of a technique to open the batting in test cricket with much success in the longer run.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Kumble c Younis b Kaneria 24, sharing a 54 run partnership.

Lead at 31 runs, Harbhajan in. Hope he has one of those innings where he
gets 30 or 40 runs.

Edit: Jinxed him. Gone for 1.

Last edited: