• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
No way. 100 run lead will not be enough, the wicket hasn't turend into a dustbowl or anything. Murali would be a real handful, and probably pick up 2-3, but Australia would still get home.

No chance of an SL win. Draw the only option for SL.
I would disagree ...Saving Face and avoiding Innings defeat the only option for SL.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Anyways guys what is the weather prediction for tomorrow, i hope its good.
yahoo weather says cloudy
ninemsn says clearing showers
weather.com (probably the best) says cloudy in AM... and Sun in PM :) and only 10% chance of precipitation

what i wanna know is... in this match there has been 311 overs bowled... and there's normally like 450 overs in a test match..
so theres still 139 overs to bowl...

there's an early start tomorrow..but im wondering can they play till perhaps 7pm as well? (normally 6:30)

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, especially regarding how Sri Lanka should be approaching their innings. If you let Australia dictate terms too much, even though you've batted for a long time - a couple of quick wickets and suddenly you're still behind, or not far enough ahead. Fair enough, it is a couple of defensive batsmen in at the moment, and they are playing their natural game really to an extent, but you still need to remain in a positive mode.
What've I been saying for ages!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He has been poor for his entire career, bar the odd good knock. Not the kind of consistency you want from your #3.
Fair enough.

Regarding Mitchell Johnson, was his initial hype as an 100mph bowler and 'once in a generation' just hype or was there something to it? Currently, he is operating at around 145kph and is good but not all that special.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He was pumped up more than he should have been, but his pace is brilliant. Very good player, but definitely needs to try and get more swing into his game at test level. He'll learn I imagine.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Fair enough.

Regarding Mitchell Johnson, was his initial hype as an 100mph bowler and 'once in a generation' just hype or was there something to it? Currently, he is operating at around 145kph and is good but not all that special.
This was basically about four or five years ago, and he had some huge back issues since then.

Craig

World Traveller
IMO I think Vandort should of played that ball got him out a lot better, for starters not leaving such a gap between bat and pad. If there is no gap the ball can't go through.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Fair enough.

Can't recall anyone ever saying he'd bowl at 100mph, the once in a generation thing was refering to how developed his skills were and the potential he showed as a 17yr old.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
100 to 150 run lead, this game is ours if MacGill can get a ball to spin that much. Australia have no chance against Murali.

Fair knock from Vandort
Pardon? You say that as if MacGill doesn't spin it a crapload. Stu is as good, if not better than, both Warne and Murali at imparting spin. The problem sometimes is doing it too much and not to it's benefit.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough.

Nothing new there.

People are labelled all sorts now days - next Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar etc.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Have been pretty impressed with Johnson so far this game, he didnt bowl very well in his initial spell in the first innings but since then he's been great, good pace and suprisingly excellent control, dosent seem to swing the red ball like he has the white one (probably to do with the conditions), but he has on occasion got the ball to jag off the seam (the one which got Jayawardene was ball of the match so far). MacGill has bowled better and better as the match wears on, indicates he was just needing overs under his belt. And Brett Lee's first innings return was the best he's bowled in test cricket since 2000/01 imo.
Hard to read too much into the bowlers performances as the Sri Lankans are clearly underdone, we probably won't find out how much we miss Warne and McGrath till the Indians arrive, but still, early signs are good.

Also well played Vandort, he looked completely out of his depth last night and in the first innings, however today he was excellent, played well within his limitations and was pretty tight in defence. Clearly not the most talented player Sri Lanka have produced but he seems to know his game pretty well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
One think I think Johnson has really going for him, is that he can bowl that odd brillant ball that will get any batsmen out in world cricket. If he gets consistency he might reach his so called potential. Two of his wicket taking balls have been as good as any bowls i've seen this series, if not this year.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Fair enough.

145k is still pretty special for a left armer

It may have also been the action he has.. the catapult action and also that he hits the deck pretty hard...
this pitch is slowing up a tad me thinks too..Binger is going at low 140's i think

Laurrz

International Debutant
One think I think Johnson has really going for him, is that he can bowl that odd brillant ball that will get any batsmen out in world cricket. If he gets consistency he might reach his so called potential. Two of his wicket taking balls have been as good as any bowls i've seen this series, if not this year.
yea he's surprised me too.. i think he was the pick of the bowlers today actually.. on a pitch where Lee and Clark really struggle to move it at all.. he found a bit of seam movement actually towards the slips (right hander) and reversed it a bit

Obviously it hasn't swung in this game, but it will be interesting if he gets more favourable conditions if he is able to bowl the inswinger... then he will truly be deadly

sideshowtim

Banned
I remember Ponting saying Johnson hits the bat harder than anyone he's faced. Which is saying something. He looks an awkward customer to handle for sure. Needs to work on his consistency, too often was he drifting wide of the off stump, but given it's his debut, on a wicket not doing much for the seamers, I think he's earned a solid Pass from me. A good, solid debut for sure.

pup11

International Coach
No way. 100 run lead will not be enough, the wicket hasn't turend into a dustbowl or anything. Murali would be a real handful, and probably pick up 2-3, but Australia would still get home.

No chance of an SL win. Draw the only option for SL.
Yeah i agree draw is the only option left for lankans now, but i think if they would have batted a little more positively they could have been in a better position, ok they only lost 3 wickets today but they didn't score too many runs either so if they would have taken the attack to the inexperienced Australian bowling line-up who knows they could have been in a better position or maybe they could have got bowled out today itself but that's a risk that a team has to take if they want to beat a team like Australia.

pup11

International Coach
I remember Ponting saying Johnson hits the bat harder than anyone he's faced. Which is saying something. He looks an awkward customer to handle for sure. Needs to work on his consistency, too often was he drifting wide of the off stump, but given it's his debut, on a wicket not doing much for the seamers, I think he's earned a solid Pass from me. A good, solid debut for sure.
Johnson has been ok in this test but as you said he hasn't been too consistent with his lines and lengths which is something he would have to work on, but he is definitely a bowler with lot of potential and his biggest asset is the ability to make the ball lift from a good length area which not too many bowlers can do and his pace has also been right up there around the 150 kmph mark for sometime now, but he will certainly have to learn to swing the red ball because if he wouldn't do that then i think he wouldn't be too effective in test cricket in the longer run.