• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Laurrz

International Debutant
I don't think one can say that Clark isn't aggressive just because he doesn't say much on the field or if he isn't bowling at 90mph or if he doesn't have flashy hair-style, he is a mature bowler who knows what he is doing out there and he keeps things simple and bowls in the right channels and he is the sort of bowler who is more likely to take more wickets than then the so-called aggressive bowlers like Lee, Johnson and MacGill.
I am also really excited about the start of the Aussie cricket summer, i have been supporting the Aussies from a very young age but i haven't felt this sort of excitement before probably i am just excited to see how things shape up for us in the new era.
noo... i know Clark isn't a defensive bowler

but he isn't out and out aggressive like the others.. eg. i believe Lee and Johnson will bowl more bouncers + yorkers than Clark... that will lead to more leakage of runs but possibly wickets as well of course

of course Clark's strike rate and wicket taking ability will prolly be the same as those bowlers... but theres no doubt those other bowlers are more aggressive type bowlers
maybe what i meant was that all the other bowlers are prone to leakage of runs... whereas Clark is prolly the only one you'd bet ur house on that he wouldn't go for over 5 an over for 10+ overs.. whereas last summer we also had McGrath and Warne... *sigh

and yea agreed..i didnt think id get as excited about this as the Ashes last year

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
MacGill is a safe option?
i find him a really aggressive bowler..

which is why im worried as Lee, Johnson, MacGill are all aggressive bowlers.. poor Clark :(
I was talking about safe option as in 198 wickets at 27 v 6 (or however many Hogg has) @ 50. Definitely know who I'd prefer if I were captain and no longer had McGrath and Warne.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh good, I quite like Macgill :), although it would be fun to see the SLns take to him and get him all hot under the collar. And it would be really fun to see SL win the first test, now that would spice up the summer.
India winning the first of the four Test series would spice things up - I'd NEVER want to lose the first of a two-Test series though. Means the best you can do is square it, and what if it rains during the second Test...?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Am ridiculously excited, itbt.
With you there mate, feels like forever since we've seen the boys don Baggy Greens.

A couple of late nights beckon for me over here before I go and ruin it with a trip to Iceland over the weekend, where cricket watching will sadly be more difficult to do...

pasag

RTDAS
Jaques - n00b
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey - coming off injury
Clarke
Symonds - many argue he's not Test standard
Gilchrist - on and off
Lee - Many argue he's crap
Johnson - n00b
Clark
MacGill - out of form

How am I supposed to sleep at night!!!

pup11

International Coach
^ Yeah mate i am also nervous as hell to see how the new look Australian team performs and that only adds to the excitement levels.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly, there's an element of uncertainty that hasn't been there for quite some time.

Just. Can't. Wait.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Jaques - n00b
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Gilchrist - on and off
Johnson - n00b
Clark
MacGill - out of form

With the knowledge that your team will always be the fittest, fastest, and strongest in international cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think one can say that Clark isn't aggressive just because he doesn't say much on the field or if he isn't bowling at 90mph or if he doesn't have flashy hair-style, he is a mature bowler who knows what he is doing out there and he keeps things simple and bowls in the right channels and he is the sort of bowler who is more likely to take more wickets than then the so-called aggressive bowlers like Lee, Johnson and MacGill.
I am also really excited about the start of the Aussie cricket summer, i have been supporting the Aussies from a very young age but i haven't felt this sort of excitement before probably i am just excited to see how things shape up for us in the new era.
Clark's one of those best bowlers who is both aggressive and defensive TBH.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Would've done better to write the same as of Lee and Symonds.
Thats really ridiculous. MacGill hasn't been given enough of a chance against Test standard teams in order for one to write him off as not Test standard.

And the fact that his selection has been so off and on also makes it difficult to make such an overarching judgment of his Test career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am done with the MacGill thing TBH - especially in an *Official* tour thread.

That post was firmly in jest.

JBH001

International Regular
Gonna go see about a summer job in an hour or so.

If I get it, I may have to start work tomorrow which means I miss the first two days.

So am hoping I can start on Monday which means I can spend Thursday afternoon on the couch watching the cricket - maybe even Friday too. Heres hoping anyhows! :)

Laurrz

International Debutant
India winning the first of the four Test series would spice things up - I'd NEVER want to lose the first of a two-Test series though. Means the best you can do is square it, and what if it rains during the second Test...?
not sure about weather in tassy but in brissy this week theres gonna be showers a lot..
but its also going to be high 20's degrees so mayb that means swinging conditions hmm.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Jaques - n00b
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Gilchrist - on and off
Johnson - n00b
Clark
MacGill - out of form

yerr those are my worries/thoughts too

atleast though those players we know have potential and have performed before (some in ODI's)

raelly excited about Jaques/Johnson

JBH001

International Regular
Right, I am excited about this game too.

First time in a long time I will be watching a test match.

In other good news, I have organised summer work for myself (until the uni year recommences next year) and even better have wangled starting next Monday.

So, I shall be lolling about on the couch tomorrow afternoon NZ time watching the first session, of the first day, of the first test. Even typing about it gets me excited!

:D

sideshowtim

Banned
not sure about weather in tassy but in brissy this week theres gonna be showers a lot..
but its also going to be high 20's degrees so mayb that means swinging conditions hmm.
Tassie is synonymous with rain, so I don't really trust the weather down there.

I'm feeling pretty iffy about this series. Pasag made a good list, and I'll add to it.

Jaques - First real series, and he'll get a chance at consodliating. He may be very nervous though as this is his first 'real' Test so to speak.
Hayden - Not too many concerns about the big man. Has been in great form for some time now.
Ponting - I love the bloke, but he's gotta have a bad run of luck or form soon surely? I'd love it if he didn't, but it just seems inevitable.
Hussey - Injured, and like Ponting is bound to have a poor run of form sooner or later.
Clarke - Not too many concerns with Clarke really, I feel he may have a big summer.
Symonds - I reckon he'll have a good Summer with the bat. Won't do much with the ball though...So that's a bit of a worry.
Gilchrist - His batting isn't what it once was, a less reliable 7 than he used to be, although his keeping is very good.
Lee - Never been his hugest fan at Test level...nonetheless, he is due to have a huge summer or take a huge haul sooner or later...Surely?
Johnson - Will struggle in his first Test without a question. I love him, but he's a confidence bowler and will take a while to settle in.
Clark - No real concerns here.
MacGill - Quite obviously in the worst form he's ever been in, and may prove to be nothing but a liability. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm very nervous about this series. Very nervous.

pup11

International Coach
If MacGilla isn't fit then we have problem, otherwise i have complete confidence is MacGilla's ability and he has surely delivered whenever he has got a chance to play for Australia so lets hope he doesn't let us and himself down this time around, personally i think he would/should enjoy bowling on the Gabba pitch as it offers good pace and bounce.