• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Laurrz

International Debutant
I think its going to be one of those ones where Jayawardene half hopes to loose the toss. I'd say he'd rather bowl, but if he won the toss he'd be compelled to bat because he can't afford to show any fear or weakness before the Aussie.
yea true
and locals are saying the rain is on and off for the past two days... so rain delays likely perhaps... mayb not a bad toss to lose at all
He is tbh. But if he continue on the way he's been going since the WC (ODI), he can lead the SL attack.
true.. its just ive never seen him do anything in tests (bar against Bangladesh..)

in saying that, neither has Mitchell Johnson :ph34r:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really think Dilhara is overated. Most just think he's 'potentially' Test class, which is about right. No one really thinks his a world beater. But the fact that his peers seem to rate him as decent bowler, who played below his potential, probably say a fair bit.

Silva will start for sure. If Maharoof starts it will be ahead of Samaraweera or Vandort. I can't see that happening with Sangakkara out. Basically leaves us two batsmen short. A lot of pressure will be on Vaas to score runs. Might as well bat him at 6 if that happens.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally, i'd prefer to see Clark get the new ball ahead of Johnson....
Agreed - Clark's done more than enough to deserve it, and it will give Mitch a chance to settle into the match and soak up the atmosphere of his first Test without the instant pressure.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mitch would also be better off with the wind at his back, after coming on first change for Lee. Either way Jayasuriya and Atapattu will dominate, so it wont make a difference.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri Lanka could be a chance if Ponting decides to bat first. Looking at the radar there is a lot of rain around and with the conditions not set to ease for a few days, the batsman could be on and off which would keep the bowlers fresh.

Would probably suit Australia to bowl first given the conditions and that time could be short needed to bowl a team out twice, and it would mean Brett Lee who is now the spearhead would be bowling in cooler conditions and could bowl shorter, quicker spells.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka could be a chance if Ponting decides to bat first. Looking at the radar there is a lot of rain around and with the conditions not set to ease for a few days, the batsman could be on and off which would keep the bowlers fresh.

Would probably suit Australia to bowl first given the conditions and that time could be short needed to bowl a team out twice, and it would mean Brett Lee who is now the spearhead would be bowling in cooler conditions and could bowl shorter, quicker spells.
Not too much wrong with that thinking but I'd hope our boys could rack up an enormous first innings, because despite his record down under I wouldn't want to be chasing too much batting last against Murali.

pup11

International Coach
Oh god... no rain please...!!
Have been looking forward to this game to start for such a long time and the last thing i wanted was this game getting effected by rain. :down:

Mister Wright

Not too much wrong with that thinking but I'd hope our boys could rack up an enormous first innings, because despite his record down under I wouldn't want to be chasing too much batting last against Murali.
I just think if the conditions are as bad as they're likely to be tomorrow, you give your batsman a disadvantage by having them on and off. Fair enough if it was raining all night and the sun comes out tomorrow, by all means bat. However, if the forecast is dodgy I'd be bowling first and let their batsman face the problem.

dinu23

International Debutant
looking forward to the game. Not really optimistic abt our chances of winning. A good fight, thats all i ask for...

burr

State Vice-Captain
Oh, what happened to qld being the sunshine state? I hate it when it rains for the first test. Always such an anti-climax. Hope we bowl first, I'm looking forward to seeing how our new(ish) attack copes.

Johnners

Play will start on time in the morning imo, but if the weather stays like it has been (as predicted unfortunately :() I'd expect it will be a stop start day from around lunch time onwards.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Raining fairly steadily in Brisbane at 9:45 pm and has been raining for the last five hours or so (I live only a couple of K's away from the Gabba),more rain out west too! A midday start time and no earlier I would say.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Agreed - Clark's done more than enough to deserve it, and it will give Mitch a chance to settle into the match and soak up the atmosphere of his first Test without the instant pressure.
Nah I think if your going to play Johnson he needs the new ball. He's a bowler who from what I've seen so far is significantly more dangerous with the new ball than the older one, whereas certainly Clark and to an extent Lee are just as dangerous with a ball 15 overs old as one over old.

iamdavid

International Debutant
A fair number of people tend to call him dire, but afaic he's easily one of their best 6 Test batsmen. He does afterall, average 41 in test Cricket (42 in First Class), and has 5 centuries and 13 half centuries to his name in 39 test matches.
Pretty much agree, I've always like the look of Samaraweera as a batsman, he's technically sound and has a good head on his shoulders. And the pace at which he bats is good given Jayasuria, Sangakkarra, Mahela etc are mostly strokemakers. But he has given the critics plenty of amo..he averages 56 at home and 26 away (which I find really suprising given he seems technically proficient against the quick bowlers), and the fact he hasnt got many shots and isnt so easy on the eye means fans and media tend not to get behind him too much.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Raining fairly steadily in Brisbane at 9:45 pm and has been raining for the last five hours or so (I live only a couple of K's away from the Gabba),more rain out west too! A midday start time and no earlier I would say.
The rain has eased off in the last hour or so. It was pretty heavy awhile ago though. Fingers crossed for lots of cricket tomorrow. A new era starts and I can't wait.