• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone catch Sam Newman on SEN this morning. When he's not playing "I'm more childish than you" with Crawf on the footy show, he can actually make a surprising amount of sense.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Matt79 - there's the old gag about ruck coaches. There's only three good'uns: one is in Hollywood, one is in politics, and the other one is his brother.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Taking that to mean you think Sam's comments re Geelong are incorrect.

I think he's oversimplifying, but along with improved fitness, better leadership and some players emerging, a more direct style of footy was pivotal in Geelong's success for mine.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Taking that to mean you think Sam's comments re Geelong are incorrect.

I think he's oversimplifying, but along with improved fitness, better leadership and some players emerging, a more direct style of footy was pivotal in Geelong's success for mine.
No, don't know what he said about Geelong. Just saying that when he gets fair dinkum and doesn't play up for a crowd, he knows his footy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Actually, regarding the Geelong game plan, it wasn't exactly a case of them going more "direct", it was more the play on at all costs attitude that really altered their game plan.

Teams don't want to, and can't, go direct all the time because the good sides will win 70% of the contested ground ball in their defensive 50, because of extra numbers and how they set up - feed the ball back, shepherd, give your teammate time to find an option and then clear. It's giving away the ascendancy. You can kick long into your forward line all you want, but unless there are the structures in place, then it really can be a recipe for disaster.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Not all the time, but if you have a quality key forward and you won't kick to him when he's one-out with his man, you're hamstringing yourself.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
So would people want Ben Cousins at their club if he is allowed into the PSD?

I would NOT, because:
a) he's a knob
b) he'd have a negative effect on the culture and spirit of the team, and
c) I doubt he'd play a full season before he got into more trouble and missed more footy...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd take him. I don't think he's really that much worse than other footy players in terms of his behaviour, he just gets caught more. Anyway, he's clearly a total dickhead, but I don't see personality as a huge factor in determining the value of a player. He's awesome, and the team would be better with him than without.

Doubt he'll get a gig, though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah you gotta think of the PR effect he'd have. Sponsors would be wary, and he'd be a bad influence on the younger ones. Yeah he's far from the only one who does stupid **** and is involved with drugs, but he's the face of it, and even the great Ben Cousins isn't worth having that on the club's back.

pasag

RTDAS
Feel dirty discussing footy in October, but yeah clubs are so youth oriented these days that they'd do nothing that would jeopardise the kids. And as Jono said, the sponsors as well. The only chance he has is going away for a year and coming back a 'reformed' man with a massive PR effort to get him a new public image, otherwise it'll be the sad end of a brilliant footy career.

R_D

International Debutant
anyone hear about what Kouta wrote in his autobiography. Read on the sun.... he wasn't too pleased with Dennis pagan's coaching style and tried to get rid off him quite a few times. Other players weren't happy either :laugh: no wonder Carlton didn't win much in last few years when the players are conspiring against the coach. Don't know the full story but still found it funny.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.