• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And that means what? Plenty of duds have been premiership players.
It means that despite having played a handful of games, Richard Hadley was good enough to get a game in a midfield that won 3 grand finals in a row, and played 4 in a row. I don't know about you, but to me that's pretty ****ing impressive.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Forwardline isnt an issue in but yes i agree the backline may be a problem. Ryder is the only proven young KP Defender we have. However guys like Johns (Knights has said he'll play down back), Lee (who looked good last year), Daniher will need to kick on. We have a rediculous amount of young onballers so that area seems covered.

It will come down to how well certain playrs develope and who's to say we can be a premiershiup threat 3-4 years down the track?
The fact that the bombers coaching staff actually rates Johns says a lot...

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Only just caught up with the fact Collingwood has delisted Guy Richards. A bit annoyed as I reckon he's better than Bryan (still mediocre though), but would therefore be a better back up option should one of Fraser or Wood be injured.

Do people reckon he'll get picked up in the PSD? I'd think a couple of clubs might be keen...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think clubs would be happy to take him on, as he'll be on a very low wage, and they'll be happy to take him as a guy who will play 2nds all year, and if they have a couple of injuries and he is required, will hopefully be competitive. Especially a team who have a couple of young ruckmen on their list still developing who they don't think are ready yet.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I think clubs would be happy to take him on, as he'll be on a very low wage, and they'll be happy to take him as a guy who will play 2nds all year, and if they have a couple of injuries and he is required, will hopefully be competitive. Especially a team who have a couple of young ruckmen on their list still developing who they don't think are ready yet.
As in, what I assumed Collingwood were going to do with him. I suppose we may re-sign him through the PSD depending on what happens.

Otherwise, Carlton maybe? Kreuzer may not be ready to walk on water from round 1, and Richards > Ackland in my humble opinion...

cameeel

International Captain
Former West Coast skipper Ben Cousins AFL career appears to be over after he was sacked by the Eagles following his arrest for possession of drugs on Tuesday afternoon.

West Coast chairman elect Mark Barnaba confirmed that 2005 Brownlow medallist Cousins would have his contract terminated by the club following his latest indiscretion, although the Eagles declared they would continue to support their troubled star with his recovery from drug addiction.

After a marathon session of meetings throughout the day, which involved conference call hook-ups with AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, who is in France and Eagles coach John Worsfold who is currently in Broome, Barnaba and chief executive Trevor Nisbett fronted the media on Wednesday night to officially announce Cousins' sacking.

"This has been probably one of the most painful (decisions) in the history of the club," declared Nisbett.

"It's tragic that it has got to this stage but it had to be made and we are sure we made the right decision for Ben's health."

"There's been a number of things over a number of years that we've been dealing with, with Ben. We felt that this was the right decision for Ben to concentrate exclusively on his health."

"I've re-iterated our concern over Ben for months and months and I'm still concerned. He still has a long road to go."

"It (drug addiction) is an illness which a lot of people don't recognise. He's teribbly sick," said Nisbett.

It is expected that the Eagles decision to terminate Cousins' contract will ensure that they do not face further sanction by the AFL, which had threatened to dock the club draft choices and even premiership points if it did not take action to against players connected with drugs at the club.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given how good he is (apparently:unsure:) surely there'll be someone willing to take a punt on him? Most footballers (of the association variety) find alternate homes after similar indiscretions.

cameeel

International Captain
Given how good he is (apparently:unsure:) surely there'll be someone willing to take a punt on him? Most footballers (of the association variety) find alternate homes after similar indiscretions.
He'd make all 16 teams on ability, but I doubt there'll be any club willing to put up with the negative PR to take him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I guess there's a difference between someone who has been done for a one-off drug test, and someone who is in rehab for a drug problem.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I guess there's a difference between someone who has been done for a one-off drug test, and someone who is in rehab for a drug problem.
Maybe, but Lee Bowyer's still playing in the Prem after (off the top of my head) failing a test for cannabis, smashing up a McDonald's, beating living snot out of an Asian student & scrapping (on the pitch, during a game) with a team-mate (admittedly Kieron Dyer, who probably deserves a punch).

Not all drugs, admittedly, but there's a pattern there...

pasag

RTDAS
I'd take him any day of the week. Don't care.
Same although Judd wouldn't be too happy, finally getting away from him.

It's a tragic story, really. And with alot of people to blame as well including the media, the system, the culture etc etc.

He has no one to blame but himself for that tattoo though. Shocking.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL, WC lose Judd and Cousins. Who would have picked that after those two were holding the premiership cup together in 2006.

No club will take Cousins, publicity will be too negative. No one will gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.