• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I guess we won't see both of them dropped just yet for the same old reasons we all know & love and, as an Englishman, I'd love to see Amla at 3 next summer.
btw what happened to de Villiers opening & Gibbs batting in the middle order?
AB couldn't score a run, Gibbs couldn't score a run and then he started batting like Shivnarine Chanderpaul and scored some runs but it was such a hideous sight to behold that presumably the decision was taken to send AB back down the order and let Gibbs have one last crack as opener.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
AB couldn't score a run, Gibbs couldn't score a run and then he started batting like Shivnarine Chanderpaul and scored some runs but it was such a hideous sight to behold that presumably the decision was taken to send AB back down the order and let Gibbs have one last crack as opener.
So for the England series, presumably Smith, Kallis & Prince are definites at 1, 4 & 5? Plus de Villiers at 6? With a couple of gaping holes at 2 & 3. I suppose some folks will argue for Kallis to bat at 3, which he might as well be doing anyway, but I wouldn't want to meddle with the side's outstanding batsman. Who's the alternatives? Presumably Dippenaar's history nowadays. Are you expecting Rudolph to return as quickly as that?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Only certainties according to the coach before the series was Smith, Kallis and Prince (and Boucher of course), everyone else needed to score a far amount of runs. Both Amla and Gibbs haven’t after four innings whilst AB is likely to be on a hiding for nothing tomorrow with South Africa presumably only looking for quick runs, once Smith and Kallis depart. However, he should retain his place, played a significant knock in the first test whilst he was beyond unfortunate in this test with his dismissal.

The alternatives discussed before this series ranged from JP Duminy (who toured), Neil McKenzie, Boeta Dippenaar and Morne van Wyk. Although, Rudolph still has two years left with Yorkshire so he has no chance of featuring anytime soon.

If I was selector, I would give Duminy the home test series against the New Zealanders, replacing Amla but have him bat at four; get Kallis back to three and have Morne van Wyk opening instead of Gibbs.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i think the key success of other nations in test level is that they are pretty flexible with thier bating line up unlike pakistan.. pakistani team have had problems with their openning pair for a while since the departure of aamir sohail and retirment of saeed anwar... none of the middle order batsman took the responsibility to open the innings and take care of that problem.. unlike other side whose sinor players and best batsmans played up in the top order..the current Sa team is a good example of how u take care of the opening problem.. they had AB to open with smith.. that pair failed so now they are trying gibs who was playing in middle order and smith while playing AB in the middle order... this move is working really well.. both of them are scoring well... if it was pakistan,,, they would have drop AB and try someone else..

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I know Gibbs comes in under the quota. What is the rule now? Is it a minimum of 2 or 3 players? Does Amla come under it too?

haroon510

International 12th Man
smith and kallies are showing pakistani batsmans how to bat in their home ground.. yousuf, younis and inzi... watch and learn

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
India and Pakistan learning fact that T20 is not what defines the best cricket and rewards the best cricketers.

The fans of the 'best two T20 nations in the world" come crashing down to earth.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Awesome knocks from these two guys, glad to see Smith finally notching up a century, he'd been in a bit of a drought lately. Declare with a lead of 400?

biased indian

International Coach
Awesome knocks from these two guys, glad to see Smith finally notching up a century, he'd been in a bit of a drought lately. Declare with a lead of 400?
with 151 over remaining..i think thye can easly bat for another 20 overs and score as much as they want...130-120 overs should be enough on a last day pitch

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I think they'll give Amla the 1st test against NZ and if he doesn't come good, they'll stick Duminy in the side. I like Hashim, he seems a very humble & intelligent person, and he's from Natal, so bonus points there. :)

There is a problem with his technique & it needs sorting out. Sadly, the completely inept management & coaching at the Dolphins aren't going to help his cause. Ford's replacement managed to take one of the top teams in the 1st Class competition and place them dead stone last previous season. So I hope he does well against NZ and stays in the side. Duminy's a talent though, have to play him at some point.

The other question is, will Pollock actually get back in the side now!!?? Steyn, Nel & Harris are all doing well, Ntini ended the 1st innings well & is usually very strong at home, Morne Morkel will be back in the reckoning & deserves a shot. Nice problem to have.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
Good knock by smith...i think he had not scored a century for long..am i wrong ???
I think his previous century was in April 2005 against the West Indies...so it's been a long time. Well done to him and also to Kallis for his fantastic run.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Amazing how easy the South Africans are making runscoring look, while the home team who you might think would be more comfortable are really struggling.

God I've missed Test cricket this year. The next few months, all over the world, are going to be brilliant.

biased indian

International Coach
this is poor batting when u r trying to set a target

Current partnership 3 runs, 4.5 overs, RR: 0.62 (Kallis 3, Prince 0)