• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Athlai

Not Terrible
Rust, tension (different reasons for both) and great pressure to perform I think. A HUGE fear of failure. Much more than in normal situations.
Not a huge surprise but I would have really enjoyed seeing them doing a little better. Understandable though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Not a huge surprise but I would have really enjoyed seeing them doing a little better. Understandable though.
I agree. I would have loved to see Inzy get a BIG hundred and the two of them involved in a fighting partnership. That would have been perfect.

I am still counting on that happening in the second innings. If it does it would be even more exciting :)

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Lets hope the quick bag of wicekts for Ntini will fire him up. He's been rather poor since he was touted the best fast bowler in the world and I for one know that his bad form has been with him since the WC, not sure how far back before then though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Gun series for Amla.24.5 which shows he performed pretty much up to his 'lofty' standards.

Seriously he needs to work on his defence..

Prince EWS > Amla in defence.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's crazy that your defence is actually more gun then a quality test nations number 3.

He can't keep getting picked can he?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Amla should be dropped for the New Zealand test series, his dismissals against the spinners are fairly inconsequential but not knowing where your off stump is and then seeing it get pegged back on wickets with precisely zero lateral movement is completely amateurish. His had a fair opportunity to make his name as a number three but unfortunately his failed, someone else deserves a chance.

In regard to change and chances, Herschelle Gibbs surely needs his test career to be curtailed. South Africa do not have many viable options available to them, batting depth is rather non-existent but Gibbs is a liability South Africa could do without. He should have been dropped two years ago and his mode of dismissals throughout this series has been sadly indicative of a cricketer who no longer has the ability to open in test cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't have expected either to come and score heavily first match back after ages, tbh.
More justification for the argument that neither player should have been selected than. Although, Jacques Kallis had a considerable longer rest than Inzy and he still managed to score 250 plus runs in the first test but then again Kallis isn’t past his best. Really was crazy to select Inzy, which not only forced the team composition to change once more but Pakistan’s first and only objective should be to win the test match. Not the rationale of Inzy breaking Miandad’s record and holding onto a 50 plus average.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa one day squad...

Graeme Smith (c), Justin Kemp, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Mark Boucher, Shaun Pollock, Vernon Philander, Albie Morkel, Johan Botha, Makhaya Ntini, Charl Langeveldt, André Nel, Shaun Pollock.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kallis, how good is this bloke? I keep saying it, but the man is crazy good. He's not going to have a score of less than 50 in the whole series. Four chances to bat, two fifties, two centuries. Gun.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis, how good is this bloke? I keep saying it, but the man is crazy good. He's not going to have a score of less than 50 in the whole series. Four chances to bat, two fifties, two centuries. Gun.
Was about to post exactly the same thing - just in a different class to every other cricketer in this series. Weighing in with cheap, important wickets too, in addition to the run avalanche.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Was about to post exactly the same thing - just in a different class to every other cricketer in this series. Weighing in with cheap, important wickets too, in addition to the run avalanche.
Well it was only a month or so ago that I was being told that Prince is now a better player on these forums.

Im a massive fan of Kallis but too often on here (not that Im saying you or SS are) peoples opinion of people change by the game and they are 1 innings away from being hailed or 1 match away from being called average.

Its a fickle crowd on CW :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I have to admit that I've never been Kallis' biggest fan. Obviously I rated him, but felt early on that he cashed in too readily against weak attacks then struggled when Australia went at him and I judged him over-harshly for that I think.

While his record against Australia still isn't what it could be, he's played some superb knocks against us and that, combined with the sheer consistency and quality of his performances against pretty much all other comers means that I've been gradually reassessing my opinion of him over a period of time as I clearly wasn't giving him the credit he deserved. A truly exceptional cricketer.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i think the pakistani A team is better than the current pakistani team.. they defeated aus by margin in one dayers and played really well in test..pakistan have this team with big names... they are failing to prove that they are better than pakistani a team..

Beleg

International Regular
I am pretty gutted by Inzy's failure.

I just hope he plays his natural game during the second innings.

A match-saving innings there would make him a legend.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well it was only a month or so ago that I was being told that Prince is now a better player on these forums.

Im a massive fan of Kallis but too often on here (not that Im saying you or SS are) peoples opinion of people change by the game and they are 1 innings away from being hailed or 1 match away from being called average.

Its a fickle crowd on CW :)
:laugh:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Amla should be dropped for the New Zealand test series, his dismissals against the spinners are fairly inconsequential but not knowing where your off stump is and then seeing it get pegged back on wickets with precisely zero lateral movement is completely amateurish. His had a fair opportunity to make his name as a number three but unfortunately his failed, someone else deserves a chance.

In regard to change and chances, Herschelle Gibbs surely needs his test career to be curtailed. South Africa do not have many viable options available to them, batting depth is rather non-existent but Gibbs is a liability South Africa could do without. He should have been dropped two years ago and his mode of dismissals throughout this series has been sadly indicative of a cricketer who no longer has the ability to open in test cricket.

Well, I guess we won't see both of them dropped just yet for the same old reasons we all know & love and, as an Englishman, I'd love to see Amla at 3 next summer.
btw what happened to de Villiers opening & Gibbs batting in the middle order?