• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Confirmed now. Very sad, but not as much of a shock as Clement.

Feel very lucky to have been able to enjoy Buckley's career. In my opinion, I've not seen a better footballer, apart from maybe Carey, and I'd say that only Hird was his equal. Just an absolute icon, and although I remember him arriving at the club, and remember the 1990 premiership team vividly, no Collingwood team without him is ever going to seem complete again.

I'll always remember his will to get the ball, his run, his - to quote Shane Crawford - superman chest bursting through packs, and most of all his exquisite foot skills. He has been, without a skerrick of a doubt to me, the best kick of a football I've seen - he had so many dimensions to his kicking.

So glad he won a Brownlow, and if winning a Norm Smith in a losing cause is a bitter kind of honour, at least he proved his talent on the biggest stage of all. I think that, probably along with only Bobby Skilton and Gary Ablett, he'll go down as the best player to not win a flag.

Very grateful as well that I went to the Prelim to cheer him, and Clement, one last time. I hope he stays around the club - I can't think of a better person to take over from Malthouse in a couple of years time.

Thanks Nathan - you'll be the yardstick by which I judge a footballer from this day forth, and by that measure I'm going to find almost all of them wanting.

Nathan Buckley #5. Captain of Collingwood Football Club.
280 games. 284 goals.
Brownlow Medal - 2003 (178 career Brownlow votes)
Norm Smith Medal - 2002
6 Time Copeland Trophy Winner - 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003
All-Australian 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 (vice-captain), 2000 (vice-captain), 2001, 2003 (vice-captain)
AFL Rising Star - 1993
Magarey Medal - 1992

pasag

RTDAS
Buckley was the greatest of the him, Hird and Voss trio, I've always maintained. Did the business week in, week out and was for mine, the player of the period. I guess his biggest praise was that he made Collingwood that little bit less hateable (although much the same with Hird and Essendon). A legend of the game and I hope he is remembered as such in years to come.

Sad to see Grant go as well, two things stand out about what a great guy he was, one not going to Port and two playing on despite fears of permanent neck damage. Definitely a player from another era and a great servant to Footscray.

Finally wrt to Aaron Hamill, it's abit of a difficult one. Him leaving was one of the saddest things as a kid. We were doing so well and he left such a huge void in such a promising side. No one ever walked out on Carlton especially Elliott's Carlton and when he did, it was, imo, the start of the downfall, in a way. His as well, as he never really recaptured the form nor the status that he had at Carlton.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, saggers, Hamill's first couple of years at St. Kilda weren't too bad.

And I still rate Voss as the greatest of that trio. Buckley and Hird I see as equals.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Ricciuto at least = Harvey IMO.

Kouta maybe > all of them, if he'd been fit more often and longer. As it actually happened, he finished a fair way behind those 5.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Jude Bolton being pimped about by Roos. Reckon if Sydney have any brains, they'll chase a first round pick, or a good 1st/2nd year player and a second/third round pick. If they aren't smart and still think their list is good enough to win a flag in the next couple of years, they'll try and get a current big name.

Reckon they should try to get Boyle or Roughead (Roughies very unlikely) from Hawthorn - they need a young key forward, and the Hawks would see Jude as a player who could help them take the next step. Equally, they could sound out the Pies about Rusling, although I wouldn't be keen on that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Boyle is a gun, and will be a great pickup for whomever gets him.

And for me, Harvey > Ricciuto.

Voss
Hird/Buckley
Harvey
Riccuito/Kouta/Grant

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ricciuto's career > Kouta's IMO, no way you can put them in the same boat. Kouta should have been better than all of them (can't remember seeing a more naturally talented athlete for a long time), but injuries killed him unfortunately.

For mine:

Voss
Hird/Buckly/Harvey/Ricciuto
Grant/Kouta

pasag

RTDAS
Agree that Ricciuto > Kouta career wise, who reminds me of Flintoff in a way, come to think of it. So sad.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Hird severely underrated by you guys, he had more injuries than Kouta and co and still dominated the game for a sustained period of time. None of the other guys came close to winning a B and F in there last year but Hird managed to do so and proved that he could keep playing if he wanted too.

FWIW Essendon chasing Jarred Brennan....

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Carlton done well - if they could get Judd without parting with pick 1 or Fev, it was going to be a good result. At the same time, WCE can be pretty happy GIVEN that Judd was going anyway. Pick 3 and 20 are pretty good gets, and Kennedy may yet turn out to be a decent player.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Business end of trade week coming up. Here's what I want Collingwood to get done tomorrow:
Cam Wood from Brisbane - Our first round pick (14) is fair for this. We desperately need a better back up for Fraser and with Blake re-signed, Wood is the best young option around the place and getting a guy who's body will be big enough to do play this year and who is only just in their early 20s is worth forsaking a promising youngster who'll likely need two preseasons before playing regular seniors. At the same time, it is good for Brissy, given they probably won't have Wood near their best 22 this year. Be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

Jude Bolton from Sydney - R. Shaw + someone like Toovey, Egan or a low draft pick OR in a straight swap for Rusling. Again, this would hopefully give both sides what they need. Collingwood get a hard bodied in-and-under we need to help out Burns and O'Bree, and Sydney get another quick defender/midfielder plus a bit more to make it a more balanced deal, or a good young key forward to give them a future once Hall and Mick O go. This one is doubtful as there are plenty of clubs wanting Jude, but it would be awesome if it happened.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
The articles wrong and Greg Swann has confirmed no deal has been done. Kennedy is "Sleeping on his decision" as to wether he goes or not.Kennedy's manager said he wanted to stay at Carlton but would think about it over-night.

pasag

RTDAS
The articles wrong and Greg Swann has confirmed no deal has been done. Kennedy is "Sleeping on his decision" as to wether he goes or not.Kennedy's manager said he wanted to stay at Carlton but would think about it over-night.
Source?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
SEN were saying earlier this evening that Kennedy's indecision was holding the deal up until tomorrow - I assumed Baum's article post-dated that, but on second reading it may not. Kennedy's in a crappy position - if he puts his foot down and refuses to go, he risks becoming the player that denied Carlton Chris Judd, in which case he'll obviously have no future at Carlton either.

Status
Not open for further replies.