• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The backlash from fans will be huge, but if you can't get your hands on a draft pick in the top 5 through trading, then Pendlebury's not the worst option. However, the backlash from Pies fans would be large, I would have thought. It's a pity Dale Thomas has long blonde hair, as Pendlebury's a better player but Thomas is going to be the cornerstone of the marketing department for years to come.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Most Pies fans who know anything about the game rate Pendlebury above Thomas, even though Thomas is the flashier, more exciting player to watch. That said, Thomas is a gun, and as Jack said, he's the marquee player for the club for the coming few years.

Why you wouldn't trade Pendles is because he's already a very good player, he's young enough to have plenty of development left in him, and because as good as Judd is, he can't carry a midfield by himself. Any really good midfield has got at least three stars in it. Pendlebury would be just about the last player I'd trade for Judd and I'll be extremely annoyed at the club if they do so.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which is why they made a $3.1 million profit?

Hate all these knobs who hate Judd because he won't be coming to their club.

Geelong to miss the 8 next year.
Agreed

I hope he goes to Carlton now, purely on the basis that i despise the Pies :p

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WCE & Carlton have to settle on a trade first....but i'd imagine that won't be to hard. Even if Carlton do get Kreuzer as no.1, surely they'd have to be looking to trade for a decent ruckmen as well.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
WCE & Carlton have to settle on a trade first....but i'd imagine that won't be to hard. Even if Carlton do get Kreuzer as no.1, surely they'd have to be looking to trade for a decent ruckmen as well.
I don't know about that. It's no secret their ruck stocks are a little bare but they've got Cloke and Ackland(who actually looked pretty good in the back end of the season) which should be enough IMO until Kreuzer is ready.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Well Judd's gone to Carlton - probably the smart thing for him to do. THey'd have more room in the salary cap, and outside of that not even Collingwood can outbid Dick Pratt. Judd's a smart guy and wants to get into business, and Pratt can offer him a world of connections beyond anything Eddy has.

Very disappointed obviously, would have loved to see him in the black and white, but I guess at least I don't have to worry about any of my current favourite players being traded to get him to the club.

Hope Carlton don't give up Fev or no.1, the AFL needs a strong Carlton - at the moment hating them is hard because they're so pathetic year in year out. :ph34r:

Hoggy31

International Captain
Meh, wouldn't give any good key position player up for Judd, pretty rare these days. Would give Wells and Harvey, though. Then again, I'd be gutted if we traded Jesse Smith for him.

Carlton should just give all their picks, could end up equating to Luke Livingston(x4) for Judd.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, wouldn't give any good key position player up for Judd, pretty rare these days. Would give Wells and Harvey, though. Then again, I'd be gutted if we traded Jesse Smith for him.

Carlton should just give all their picks, could end up equating to Luke Livingston(x4) for Judd.
Maybe all their picks bar #1.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
This hasn't been mentioned in here yet I don't think.

Chris Grant Retires

Sad to see him go, an absolute legend. Could have played over 400 games if it weren't for injuries. Deserved to atleast play in a premiership, let alone win one. Was robbed of a Brownlow as well.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
This hasn't been mentioned in here yet I don't think.

Chris Grant Retires

Sad to see him go, an absolute legend. Could have played over 400 games if it weren't for injuries. Deserved to atleast play in a premiership, let alone win one. Was robbed of a Brownlow as well.
Who got the Brownlow instead of him? Was it Hird&Voss (or was it Corey McKernan who missed on making it a three way tie that year)...

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, yeah Grant was a special player. Horribly underrated, although his run with injury and the toll they took towards the end contibuted to that a bit I suppose. Best Bulldog ever? (Might be heresy to say that given Ted Whitten's standing)

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Who got the Brownlow instead of him? Was it Hird&Voss (or was it Corey McKernan who missed on making it a three way tie that year)...
Harvey in '97. Grant won it, but was suspended for on a bull**** charge after Collins intervened. (I'm pretty sure it was Collins). Yeah, McKernan was suspended in the '96 medal where he tied for it.

I'm absolutely shattered about Granty retiring. My favourite Dog without a doubt - absolute champion and for a while one of (if not the) best player in the game. A real shame he's been smashed by injuries; he'd have been ranked up there with Hird, Voss, Buckley, Carey etc. Also a shame to see him retire without a proper send off - but that's been him throughout his entire career; little fanfare.

Held the club through tough times when he could've made much more at Port. Leaves a huge hole in the heart of the club and hopefully he'll stay on in some role. One of the best 'Dogs of all time.

Thanks Granty. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.