• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think Giles will ever be fit again, sadly. If he was, and (unlike last winter) had bowled before the tour, I'd be more than happy for him to be in the party.

EDIT: Manee, don't forget Giles is also a very capable wicket-taker when the pitch turns.
Indeed he is, he gets a few to rip on the last two days of a test match. It baffles me why he is hated so much.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I doubt Giles will go to SL tbh, so I could see Rashid going as second spinner in the Tests, and quite possibly getting a game tbh

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You forgot a certain Joseph Sayers.
Sayers is a limited cricketer, who would really struggle to play at a higher level and according to a couple of Australian guys on this forum, he failed big time whilst playing off-season cricket in Australia. I'm only a fan of the guy because he took two hours to reach double figures but I can’t see him representing England in the foreseeable future, considering the pool of 'talent' the selectors have at their disposal.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt Giles will go to SL tbh, so I could see Rashid going as second spinner in the Tests, and quite possibly getting a game tbh
Argh, I hope not. Nothing against Rashid, but I just don't think he's ready for it. Send him on a few 'A' tours and let him get a few more wickets and runs under his belt.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope don't agree, he'll learn by getting valuble experience by touring and being around the England side. He might also get a game as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We'll definitely play two spinners in SL, so he must stand a good chance of playing. I don't particularly fancy his chances out there, but I don't know who else would partner Panesar.

Not for the first time, I'm astonished by the rate of change in the England test side in the last two years. Most of it has been unavoidable, but you wouldn't have forseen it at all.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nope don't agree, he'll learn by getting valuble experience by touring and being around the England side. He might also get a game as well.
If he gets a game what help will that do? He performs poorly then his confidence will drop significantly as he should never have been there, if he performs well then the selectors could well try and make him a regular within Team England, which would be huge mistake.

Players shouldn't learn their trade in an international side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone who's talking about Giles for SL... how many of you read this? I'm on the borderline of writing an article as an appreciation for an under-appreciated career. Sadly, I'm pretty sure he's played his last game.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Oh my God..This is getting tough for Indians.. Denly moving on nicely. 76 n.o before the 1st session is yet to get over

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone who's talking about Giles for SL... how many of you read this? I'm on the borderline of writing an article as an appreciation for an under-appreciated career. Sadly, I'm pretty sure he's played his last game.
Go for it - as you say, he deserves more respect than he often gets.

btw I agree with you about Rashid, but who else would you play in SL?
Swann & Dawson should be contenders, but their careers seem to be going nowhere.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann & Dawson should be contenders, but their careers seem to be going nowhere.
Sort of forgotten about Swann. Has always looked the best imo out of Batty,Dawson and Middlebrook. And maybe he deserves another go. Can also bat as well as has had a decentish season.

28 wickets @ 32.07
272 runs @ 34

Defenitely a contender and would love to see him in England colours again as I've always been a fan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Go for it - as you say, he deserves more respect than he often gets.

btw I agree with you about Rashid, but who else would you play in SL?
Was a mistake from Swann to leave Northants IMO, it's one of the few grounds in the country where a fingerspinner has a chance. Had he stayed (and with Panesar being picked for England so soon he'd probably have got into the first-team without too much difficulty) he might well be in the England picture by now IMO, as he's been getting gradually better as a bowler since about 2002.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Good, good bowler that Graeme Swann. England could do alot worse than picking him for the winter. Would be a pretty good number 8 imo as he can bat.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Back on to the match, I know it is simpler than it sounds but line and length won't work against Denly surely Sreesanth needs to attack him with some full balls and short stuff. A long spell for Powar would also be smart as he is good at earning wickets through long spells of flight and guile which is needed on such a flat pitch.

Ishant Sharma has not done enough to earn a place in the team, the bizarre selection has not paid off and he must go back to India to mature as a bowler. Although he has potential, it would not shock me if that he never plays for India again after this stint. England Lions piling on the runs is the perfect taste for what England will no doubt do and having a stand in captain who must juggle giving Powar and Sharma a go while trying to restrain England Lions from piling on the runs does not help matters. Have they tried Sharma from the other end? That would seem the logical decision. Hopefully they can think about all this and more in the 40 minute Lunch break.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Was a mistake from Swann to leave Northants IMO, it's one of the few grounds in the country where a fingerspinner has a chance. Had he stayed (and with Panesar being picked for England so soon he'd probably have got into the first-team without too much difficulty) he might well be in the England picture by now IMO, as he's been getting gradually better as a bowler since about 2002.
I may have been a bit too quick to write him off in my previous post. All I know his the stats that Pup posted, but they're not the worst for a finger spinnner not playing at Northants. And didn't he do quite well in an 'A' Tour last year, or is my memory failing me again? Given that we'll definitely need two spinners in SL, then me must have a chance.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
If he gets a game what help will that do? He performs poorly then his confidence will drop significantly as he should never have been there, if he performs well then the selectors could well try and make him a regular within Team England, which would be huge mistake.

Players shouldn't learn their trade in an international side.
Agree with all of that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ishant Sharma has not done enough to earn a place in the team, the bizarre selection has not paid off and he must go back to India to mature as a bowler. Although he has potential, it would not shock me if that he never plays for India again after this stint. England Lions piling on the runs is the perfect taste for what England will no doubt do and having a stand in captain who must juggle giving Powar and Sharma a go while trying to restrain England Lions from piling on the runs does not help matters.
I think ss might have tears rolling down his cheeks if he reads that, TBH.