• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Strauss out early - he's not exactly setting the world alight is he?

4.3 Khan to Strauss, OUT, cracker! full delivery, angling in, Strauss, still not sure of his off stump leans onto the drive too early, misses it completely and the off stump goes for a run, back a few yards

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree, and this is something Richard does a fair bit of. What Balaji and Prasad did, for example, has no bearing on what Zaheer and Sreesanth may or may not do. The fact that they are Indian does not mean you should simply discount any potential they may have as fast bowlers. It'd be like assuming each new top order batsman England tries in their one day team - good List A record or otherwise - was going to be complete rubbish just because that has been the norm. The current attack should be judged on what the current attack can do and ultimately what it produces, not what failed duds of yesteryear produced. He posted along similar lines regarding Australian spinners a while ago IIRC - proclaiming that Bailey, Cullen et al would be rubbish purely on the basis of them being Australian, and Australia producing quality spinners so rarely, before eventually changing his tune when he realised how unfair that was.
As I say - it's a case of the potential pitfalls are the same. In the Cullen case, what I said still applies, I haven't changed my tune there - Australia has almost never been a friendly place to bowl fingerspin. There's no two ways about the fact that that is something which impacts on anyone and everyone. Same with some of the potential pitfalls of Indian seamers.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Young Denly is treating Zaheer with a fair bit of disain, 39* off 26 balls, really gunning it. Disappointing dismissal for Strauss/

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Denly seems to be a prospect for the future and is doing well, his agressive batting to Zaheer and not Sreesanth clearly shows which one is bowling better today and also shows that they are trying to unsettle the line and length bowler while largely defending the raw, quick swing bowler. Bring Ishant on and it could be a spell to decide his selection or lack thereof.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ooo, Saurav on, does Ishant have a preferred end or do they wish to take the pace off the ball while using the new ball?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
So India have to got to decide between Ishant Sharma, Ranadab Bose and RP Singh for the 3rd seamer's place?. The English batsmen will be licking their lips at the prospect.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see what is wrong with Bose who has an extremely good domestic record in tough conditions in India.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Shah doing himself no favours there.

And cricinfo have Rashid coming in at number 4 :-O

EDIT
Now amended to Trott

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Shah goes as Sreesanth looks to intimidate the batsman with his weird rage mixed with some agressive bowling.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Yep, yet another opener to add to the queue. :unsure:
Maybe I'm biased but I'd have him at the head of the queue along with Godleman. I don't think either of them are ready yet, but that's fine as we have Tres to come back to open with Cook, but once he and Vaughan retire, I can see Denly and Godleman taking their places.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe I'm biased but I'd have him at the head of the queue along with Godleman. I don't think either of them are ready yet, but that's fine as we have Tres to come back to open with Cook, but once he and Vaughan retire, I can see Denly and Godleman taking their places.
You forgot a certain Joseph Sayers.