• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha, serious? Always thought Eden Gardens was principally a turner.
It isn't a green top but it isn't a turner eiher like Indian turners are understood to be. It is a good cricket wicket offering good support for faster bowlers early on, then offering support to batsmen and then the spinners around day 4, 5. Some thing in for every one and a very good test wicket. Also, the bounce is quite more than your average Indian test wicket which is so low though not as much as Mohali. We have offered very good support to faster bowlers over the years really and I wouldn't define it as a turner at all.

adharcric

International Coach
It isn't a green top but it isn't a turner eiher like Indian turners are understood to be. It is a good cricket wicket offering good support for faster bowlers early on, then offering support to batsmen and then the spinners around day 4, 5. Some thing in for every one and a very good test wicket. Also, the bounce is quite more than your average Indian test wicket which is so low though not as much as Mohali. We have offered very good support to faster bowlers over the years really and I wouldn't define it as a turner at all.
Hasn't it been one of the best pitches in domestic cricket for seamers in recent years? Certainly seemed to offer plenty for the seamers this year. Perhaps Mohali is another one.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
O you are saying domestic cricket. There, yep, you are right but the international cricket pitches aren't that seamer friendly to call ita green top except that infamous ODI versus South Africa where the pitch was prepared as a green top for entirely different reasons.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
TBH I always thought Bangalore was more of a greentop than Kolkata. Or maybe it was Nagpur. One of the pitches during Australia's last tour was almost tailor-made for them to excel in.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Big match tomorrow, India Vs Pakistan ODI. I think India will win since they have acclimatised to the British Isles while Pakistan have not. Mohammad Asif may be a major threat though since his seam movement may flourish in Scotish conditions with plenty of rain recently, the surface of the pitch will certainly be moist. I think Ishant Sharma should play in the match in for RP Singh, RP Singh has not been spectacular and I think it will be a good test for Ishant. Else, if he performs bad or shows no promise, he should be given a few more years to develop. That being said, I have no idea which squad will be used for the game - most likely the South Africa and Ireland ODI squad.

As for the game, I feel that if Ganguly and Sachin can survive the new ball onslaught by Asif and Shoaib, they should win the match (or at least score over 250) as Asif has proved innefective without the new ball in ODIs and Shoaib without swing is just extra pace on the ball to score runs off. The other Pakistan bowlers should no pose a threat if played sensibly. Umar Gul will be the main of those bowlers and he can make the ball talk at times, but if treated with caution, he does provide the odd bad ball which can go for four.

As for Indian bowling, I feel that if Zaheer and Agarkar can pose the same new ball threat they have provided through the Future Cup, they should look to make dents in the top order. As for Chawla, he must use more flight and careful use of variations rather than his farely orthodox approach of good length balls followed by googly after googly. A subtle touch is key regarding the googly, especially when he has one so deadly.

The often forgotten aspect of fielding will also be critical. Several catches went down in the Future Cup and some were extremely costly. A perfect example being Kemp dropped under 20 and went on to make the game competitive for South Africa where they were initially struggling to make 120. Cold hands and glum conditions make it hard to be 'up for fielding' but in such low scoring games, those 20 or 30 runs saved in the field could prove vital.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I think RP is a better bet than Ishant. Though Ishant is primarily an outswing bowler and may trouble Pakistan's right-handers.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully I can give you all a good match report of the Scotland v India match as I will be attending:cool: ...with James's permission of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH I always thought Bangalore was more of a greentop than Kolkata.
Bangalore and Mohali are the only Indian grounds where I've seen Test pitches (and I emphasise pitches - there was that infamous game at Nagpur where some genius decided it'd be a good idea to deliberately sabotage his own national side's prospects because he didn't get-on with the Board President 8-)) that have been what I'd call good seam-friendly wickets.

My Test-watching in India is not extensive, however.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Board politics has always been a highlight when you look at Indian cricket history. In the 80s, there was this infamous test match versus England where the home association was pissed off with the ruilng association, provided grass on the pitch and Botham ripped through India in a test scenarios not unlike the Eden one dayer versus South Africa or that Nagpur game.

Richard said:
Bangalore and Mohali are the only Indian grounds where I've seen Test pitches (and I emphasise pitches
You mean green tops?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Board politics has always been a highlight when you look at Indian cricket history. In the 80s, there was this infamous test match versus England where the home association was pissed off with the ruilng association, provided grass on the pitch and Botham ripped through India in a test scenarios not unlike the Eden one dayer versus South Africa or that Nagpur game.
Aha, I've heard of that now you mention it. Was Botham's last truly great game as a bowler. First Test of 1981\82, at what was then Bombay.

pup11

International Coach
:angry: Damn! The bad weather at Glasgow is really pissing me off.. I was really excited about today's game but the weather has dampened my spirits.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
:angry: Damn! The bad weather at Glasgow is really pissing me off.. I was really excited about today's game but the weather has dampened my spirits.
Unfortunately, the weather has dampened more than just your spirits. Heard the outfields pretty wet as well.