• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really do not think you needed to bring the discussion about Nishant into this thread Richard.
Indeed. When I said "Further discussion on this issue shan't be discussed in this thread", I meant all threads, obviously. Pup may have asked a question, but only because of your original remark, so let it go.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed. When I said "Further discussion on this issue shan't be discussed in this thread", I meant all threads, obviously. Pup may have asked a question, but only because of your original remark, so let it go.
Please accept my apologies, sir.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I bet AA must be beside himself at the prospect of getting his ER under 5.

The AAAS would have been well interested in this possibly momentous occasion.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Now that the ODI warm up series against South Africa is over, lets look to the tests (disregarding the Pakistan ODI which I am sure India should win easily;)).

My team for the tests would be:

1. Wasim Jaffer
2. Dinesh Karthik
3. Rahul Dravid (c)
4. Sachin Tendulkar (vc)
5. Sourav Ganguly
6. VVS Laxman
7. MS Dhoni (wk)
8. Zaheer Khan
9. Ramesh Power
10. S Sreesanth
11. Anil Kumble

I think VVS should be in for Yuvraj as he is the more accomplished and generally the better test batsman. He is also a renouned player of spin which is useful considering Monty is one of England's main weapons, especially against the middle order. Furthermore, Yuvraj looked uncomfortable today defending good balls, something he will have to do a lot more of if he were to play in the tests. Although his innings today showed good promise, I believe it did not show enough promise to oust VVS Laxman in my eyes.

I chose Powar because England tend to score extremely highly (400 consistantly) at home in Test matches and you will look for someone who can bowl long spells. I believe Powar can do this better than RP Singh or Bose who until his selection, I had never heard of. Powar's flight is his main weapon and this is good since he would not need to use the seamer friendly pitches much, just the air (which accomadates drift). I chose not to pick Bose also because he is a line and length bowler with no second or third dimension to him, English batsman would have seen hundred's of Bose like bowlers in county cricket and I fail to see how he is different.

Finally, I think we should stick with Karthik at the top of the order for the duration of the test series, this will be a tough test for him, but he should be looking at a secured opening spot in tests if he succeeds in scoring two or more fifties in the three tests. In the event he fails to break 30 in the first two tests, it would be best to consider Gambhir but I think stick with Karthik unless the series rides on the final test and he has done shambolically.

adharcric

International Coach
Manee said:
Bose who until his selection, I had never heard of ... Bose also because he is a line and length bowler with no second or third dimension to him, English batsman would have seen hundred's of Bose like bowlers in county cricket and I fail to see how he is different.
Uhh yeah, you've never seen him bowl and yet you know so much about him. :)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I have read much about him and all points to a line and length bowler and nothing points to anything else.

Woodster

International Captain
From an English perspective, that middle order still looks very capable of scoring a number of runs, depending on their transition to English pitches. Dravid has had no problem in the past, think he averages over 87 in Tests in England! Very experienced batting line up, and I imagine will cause one or two problems if Harmy and co fail to get it right again.

adharcric

International Coach
Pollock and McGrath are line-and-length bowlers as well. Bose has done very well in domestic cricket, albeit primarily on the Eden Gardens greentop. He can make the ball talk.
My point: don't write him off before seeing him in a warm-up match at least.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I bet AA must be beside himself at the prospect of getting his ER under 5.

The AAAS would have been well interested in this possibly momentous occasion.
It's happened once before. After His 11th game, His economy rate sat at 4.94. It's been above five ever since.

If his next ten overs go for 32 or less, He will slip below five.

And all will rejoice in His name.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think VVS should be in for Yuvraj as he is the more accomplished and generally the better test batsman. He is also a renouned player of spin which is useful considering Monty is one of England's main weapons, especially against the middle order. Furthermore, Yuvraj looked uncomfortable today defending good balls, something he will have to do a lot more of if he were to play in the tests. Although his innings today showed good promise, I believe it did not show enough promise to oust VVS Laxman in my eyes.
If VVS gets dropped for Yuvraj, to borrow a certain someone's phrase, hands will be thrown.
I chose Powar because England tend to score extremely highly (400 consistantly) at home in Test matches and you will look for someone who can bowl long spells. I believe Powar can do this better than RP Singh or Bose who until his selection, I had never heard of. Powar's flight is his main weapon and this is good since he would not need to use the seamer friendly pitches much, just the air (which accomadates drift). I chose not to pick Bose also because he is a line and length bowler with no second or third dimension to him, English batsman would have seen hundred's of Bose like bowlers in county cricket and I fail to see how he is different.
There's a reason you tend to see a few Bose-type bowlers (or at least used to - they haven't been so evident the last 6 years) in England - it's because they are usually more effective than Powar-type bowlers. :)