• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really frustrated that Edwards wasnt picked in the last two tests.
Apparently he has only just regained serious match-fitness.

No-one would seriously consider that it's better to have Collymore+Powell than Collymore\Powell+Edwards. His slinginess and round-arm action brings something a bit extra to the table and while he only bowled well in patches today, those patches were indeed telling.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He's pretty moderate, that Xavier Rose - if he was blaming me it was nothing too harsh.
Wasn't blaming you just that you seemed to be disagreeing with him but as shown by your other post, that wasn't the case so no prob.

Majin

International Debutant
How was Sammy bowling today? His figures look quite tidy indeed but I didn't see the game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steady medium pace. Nice and accurate. Put his heart into it. He's like Wavell Hinds, but less long hops in the mix. He isn't going to threaten on most pitches, but he certainly wasn't poor. Still a poor man's Dwayne Bravo, who is in turn, a poor man's potential Dwayne Bravo.

tooextracool

International Coach
On a side note, occasionally bump into a post before mid-2005 in my trips through the archives and TEC's categorical assertions that KP would fail and ruin England are quite hilarious.
For a staff member, it doesnt appear as though you do a very good job of perusing through posts whatsoever. Of course you'd like to retaliate to that statement, but im sure you wont, given that you have absolutely no hope of finding such a post where i 'categorically stated that KP would fail and ruin England' to disprove me.
Now those that were actually around during the time i was arguing against Pietersen would know, i always debated why Pietersen was a certainity over Cook, Collingwood and Bell despite the fact that the latter 3 were all scoring more prolifically at the time and had been doing so for a 1 year period. Guaranteeing Pietersen a place in the side at a time when he had accomplished almost nothing of note (other than a mediocre 2005 Ashes series that included one chanceful match winning inning) was similar to what they did with Andy Strauss, and really that worked out so well didnt it?
And incase you are thinking about it, no i never said 'drop Pietersen'. But providing him with the challenge of batting for a place in the side ( a kick on the backside), would have indeed made him far more efficient than he was in the winter of 2005 and summer of 2006, where he was consistently throwing his wicket away like there was no tomorrow. Yet the other 3 players- Bell, Collingwood and Cook were all performing largely because they were aware of the fact that every failure could mean that they might not play the game.As someone as respected as Ian Chappell would tell you, Pietersen since and including the Ashes of 06/07 was not only just a completely different player from the Pietersen before it, but was also a much much superior player. The improvement had not just been made technically, but mentally which was responsible for his underperfoming. Dont believe me? The averages back it up. You might do well reading this post.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Steady medium pace. Nice and accurate. Put his heart into it. He's like Wavell Hinds, but less long hops in the mix. He isn't going to threaten on most pitches, but he certainly wasn't poor. Still a poor man's Dwayne Bravo, who is in turn, a poor man's potential Dwayne Bravo.
He looks handy enough with the ball providing he can bat twice as well as his first class record suggests he will.

pasag

RTDAS
For a staff member, it doesnt appear as though you do a very good job of perusing through posts whatsoever. Of course you'd like to retaliate to that statement, but im sure you wont, given that you have absolutely no hope of finding such a post where i 'categorically stated that KP would fail and ruin England' to disprove me.
Now those that were actually around during the time i was arguing against Pietersen would know, i always debated why Pietersen was a certainity over Cook, Collingwood and Bell despite the fact that the latter 3 were all scoring more prolifically at the time and had been doing so for a 1 year period. Guaranteeing Pietersen a place in the side at a time when he had accomplished almost nothing of note (other than a mediocre 2005 Ashes series that included one chanceful match winning inning) was similar to what they did with Andy Strauss, and really that worked out so well didnt it?
And incase you are thinking about it, no i never said 'drop Pietersen'. But providing him with the challenge of batting for a place in the side ( a kick on the backside), would have indeed made him far more efficient than he was in the winter of 2005 and summer of 2006, where he was consistently throwing his wicket away like there was no tomorrow. Yet the other 3 players- Bell, Collingwood and Cook were all performing largely because they were aware of the fact that every failure could mean that they might not play the game.As someone as respected as Ian Chappell would tell you, Pietersen since and including the Ashes of 06/07 was not only just a completely different player from the Pietersen before it, but was also a much much superior player. The improvement had not just been made technically, but mentally which was responsible for his underperfoming. Dont believe me? The averages back it up. You might do well reading this post.
Haha, this is the most impressive yet slimy attempt to wrangle out of something I've ever seen. You were wrong, just admit it, laugh about it and move on. You made a stupid prediction, that he'd fail, and you were totally blown out of the water. A real man admits he's wrong but I literally laughed out loud at your attempts to salvage some dignity here which only made you look so much worse in the process.

And you want proof of what you said? I don't care much for searching through your vast posts, but here's a good one you wrote before the 2005 Ashes with the news that KP was selected for Lord's. Just in case you didn't know, that's the series he top scored with 473 runs. No doubt you'll try scarecrow your way out of this though and that will be even more amusing.

take a bow selectors, you've just thrown away any chance you had of winning the ashes.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Haha, this is the most impressive yet slimy attempt to wrangle out of something I've ever seen. You were wrong, just admit it, laugh about it and move on. You made a stupid prediction, that he'd fail, and you were totally blown out of the water. A real man admits he's wrong but I literally laughed out loud at your attempts to salvage some dignity here which only made you look so much worse in the process.
Honestly i dont really need to prove myself in terms of predictions. My predictions have more often than not come true, and given how many times i have dismissed players as being rubbish i believe that to be quite impressive.

And you want proof of what you said? I don't care much for searching through your vast posts, but here's a good one you wrote before the 2005 Ashes with the news that KP was selected for Lord's. Just in case you didn't know, that's the series he top scored with 473 runs. No doubt you'll try scarecrow your way out of this though and that will be even more amusing.
Honestly, for someone suggesting that i have been trying to salvage dignity, you have done a marvelous job throwing yours away. While like most people i admit, i did not expect England to win the Ashes (i have no issue with you using that against me for getting a prediction wrong), that post had absolutely nothing to do with me suggesting that 'pietersen was going to fail' as you have suggested earlier. Again instead of bringing up largely ridiculous scenarios that bear no relationship to the subject at hand, why not bring up the time where i 'categorically stated Pietersen was going to fail'. Go on, find this post for me, instead of wasting mine and everyone elses time. Oh wait, you are clearly such a busy staff member that you probably have no time to find this.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Come on tec, stop being silly. You were wrong, and I don't see why Gelman's status as a staff member has anything to do with this debate.

tooextracool

International Coach
I have no problems admitting when i am wrong, but i find it quite ridiculous that this poster uses something i have never said against me, especially given that he wasnt even around at the time these apparent comments were made. I have had doubts about Pietersen's place in the side being a certainity in the past, which were always backed up by clear facts, but I have never once suggested that Pietersen would be a failure or that he wasnt one of the most talented players in the world or even that he should be dropped.

As far as the comment that i made before the Ashes 2005, given that the argument was made about Thorpe being dropped rather than Pietersen being selected i think its pretty obvious that this poster is trying to concoct something that does not exist.

pasag

RTDAS
Honestly i dont really need to prove myself in terms of predictions. My predictions have more often than not come true, and given how many times i have dismissed players as being rubbish i believe that to be quite impressive.

Honestly, for someone suggesting that i have been trying to salvage dignity, you have done a marvelous job throwing yours away. While like most people i admit, i did not expect England to win the Ashes (i have no issue with you using that against me for getting a prediction wrong), that post had absolutely nothing to do with me suggesting that 'pietersen was going to fail' as you have suggested earlier. Again instead of bringing up largely ridiculous scenarios that bear no relationship to the subject at hand, why not bring up the time where i 'categorically stated Pietersen was going to fail'. Go on, find this post for me, instead of wasting mine and everyone elses time. Oh wait, you are clearly such a busy staff member that you probably have no time to find this.
Haha you're too much really. I have bought a post where on hearing the news that KP was selected you alluded to him failing and bringing down the English team in the process. The post is there and is merely an example of your claim that KP would not be good enough. The fact that I don't want to find many more of these has nothing to do with 'business' and time but rather the fact that your posts are largely incomprehensible and more or less impossible to decipher.

And I have no intention of continuing this because, in keeping with your general persona and reputation around here, your more interested in oneupmanship and never ever giving any ground, whatever the cost. Not to mention the interesting tactic of trying to attack my staff membership for some weird reason, as if that has anything to do with anything. It's nothing more than an idiotic ad-hominem argument which shows the person presenting it has run out of ideas so he will cling on to the only method of attack he sees,which happens to be 'staff member' under the users name. This is a clear indication to me, that there is no point conversing with a person of your stature any longer.

pasag

RTDAS
I have no problems admitting when i am wrong, but i find it quite ridiculous that this poster uses something i have never said against me, especially given that he wasnt even around at the time these apparent comments were made. I have had doubts about Pietersen's place in the side being a certainity in the past, which were always backed up by clear facts, but I have never once suggested that Pietersen would be a failure or that he wasnt one of the most talented players in the world or even that he should be dropped.

As far as the comment that i made before the Ashes 2005, given that the argument was made about Thorpe being dropped rather than Pietersen being selected i think its pretty obvious that this poster is trying to concoct something that does not exist.
Meh, it seems that you're so insecure about a silly little throwaway comment from me about something I had come across and found amusing has lead to you seeing it as an attack on your person, resulting in you getting ultra defensive about the whole issue. A simple no that's not the case from you would have sufficed with you clarifying your position and that would have been that. Yet you've found the need to launch into some kind of twisted attack for some odd reason, which fwiw, I find quite amusing.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh, it seems that you're so insecure about a silly little throwaway comment from me about something I had come across and found amusing has lead to you seeing it as an attack on your person, resulting in you getting ultra defensive about the whole issue. A simple no that's not the case from you would have sufficed with you clarifying your position and that would have been that. Yet you've found the need to launch into some kind of twisted attack for some odd reason, which fwiw, I find quite amusing.
Trust me mate, you aren't the only one.

tooextracool

International Coach
Haha you're too much really. I have bought a post where on hearing the news that KP was selected you alluded to him failing and bringing down the English team in the process. The post is there and is merely an example of your claim that KP would not be good enough. The fact that I don't want to find many more of these has nothing to do with 'business' and time but rather the fact that your posts are largely incomprehensible and more or less impossible to decipher.
Logic? Oh yes clearly i had decided that KP was going to be a failure given he hadnt played a game in international cricket and that i had never watched him in domestic cricket. Wow brilliant sherlock, how do you do it?

As has been said a million times already, and if you even bother to go back to the thread and read it instead of bringing up isolated posts, i mentioned that the reason why England would lose the Ashes was because Thorpe was dropped. You have absolutely no facts to back yourself because you cant find a single post where i have said that 'Pietersen WOULD BE A FAILURE'.

And I have no intention of continuing this because, in keeping with your general persona and reputation around here, your more interested in oneupmanship and never ever giving any ground, whatever the cost. Not to mention the interesting tactic of trying to attack my staff membership for some weird reason, as if that has anything to do with anything. It's nothing more than an idiotic ad-hominem argument which shows the person presenting it has run out of ideas so he will cling on to the only method of attack he sees,which happens to be 'staff member' under the users name. This is a clear indication to me, that there is no point conversing with a person of your stature any longer.
Btw as a staff member, do you even know what the meaning of 'categorically' is? Seriously do you? Because let me tell you, it means that i flatly stated that KP would fail.

So if me saying "The selectors have dropped the Ashes" after Thorpe was dropped = categorically stating " Pietersen will be a failure at the international level" then well i couldnt even be bothered having this argument.

The only thing i see is you desperately clinging on to what you know is wrong, and you cant even find a post to defend your argument. Please do not attempt to belittle my opinions again, or to make false claims against me as i do not respect it. I have been on this forum for 3.5 years now and i am sick and tired of having to take crap from recently joined members like yourself that think they can come in and disrespect a forum member that they have barely even engaged in a discussion with. Good luck with your future on this forum.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
West Indies played well.

But they could have hoped for a little more when they had those 5 wickets down after the afternoon session.

tooextracool

International Coach
My apologies then. I didnt mean to go on an all out attack against you, and perhaps part of the reaction was prompted by having just broken up with my girlfriend today. I do not however like it when people disrespect me by bringing up false information, and i am certain that you are aware that you were doing so.Nonetheless, If at all there was anything productive from that argument, im glad i at least amused you.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry to hear that TEC.

I watched precisely 0% of yesterday's play due to exams coming up, but what was the pitch playing like?