• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Woodster

International Captain
He just wrote in his column today that he thought he'd make it. Sucks.
Yes, am watching cricket now, and they say that Moxon (Yorks coach) has said he wont be taking part in the 3rd Test, and that they think he's lost his race to be fit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah.

I’m still firmly expecting to have recovered from my groin injury before the third Test at Old Trafford next week.
Yeah, i think his column comes in Tuesday's paper, as such he probably wrote it on Monday, I guess he never recovered as well as he hoped in that time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You said "But on the bright side these breaks will onl help to prolong his career".

The breaks are due to injuries, and injuries categorically don't prolong careers.
Yes, but i was thinking on the positive side in that time of looking after his injury an hopefully eradicating the problem fot good will only be to Freddie's & Englands benefit given the amount of cricket that is played these days.

simmy

International Regular
Providing the injury progresses as we’re hoping, I’ll be back playing cricket on Saturday for Baildon against Pudsey St Lawrence in the Bradford League

^^ This is from Hoggard's column. Is this not a little weird? I mean seriously...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Providing the injury progresses as we’re hoping, I’ll be back playing cricket on Saturday for Baildon against Pudsey St Lawrence in the Bradford League

^^ This is from Hoggard's column. Is this not a little weird? I mean seriously...
Not at all wierd - he always strikes me as the sort of player who remembers his roots (without pining for them whenever more than a stone's throw from them) and so thought that'd be a good place to go and get some match practice.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Was afriad this would happen to Flintoff again. But on the bright side these breaks will onl help to prolong his career & will give some of the other seamers in the country a chance to establish themselves this summer.
I dont know why everyone is ragging on and laughing at the above comment by aussie. Its actually pretty close to the truth. When talking about sports like American Football and boxing you can say someone is a 'young' 32 year old. What this generally means is that they havn't had that many fights or games and are not as beat up as others. If you are 32 but missed the last 2 years through injuries and they are now healed then your body has missed 2 years of being abused by sport and is fresher than an equiv 32 yr olds body that played all the seasons and games.

Fast bowling is no exception. All quicks get hurt and banged up when playing but often its just pain rather than anything too serious and people play though it. The only time a quick gets to rest and get rid of all the niggles (that can progess into major issues), aches and pains is then they are injured. Injuries can be like a holiday for the rest of the body

So (as with Am Football and boxing) a fast bowler can actually benefit physically from being injured as the body is fresher and less dinged up than someone who has played though.

Its certainly not as silly as some think and injuries can 'prolong' a career by giving it a well needed rest, time to recover and prevent it being rundown and burnt out.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But... isn't being injured requring rest and time to recover? And isn't injury the result of being rundown and burnt out?

simmy

International Regular
But... isn't being injured requring rest and time to recover? And isn't injury the result of being rundown and burnt out?
This is why I thought that he was playing club cricket, very odd.

I want the next test to start :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We've got the game against this bizarre MCC XI first.
Yeah, Jayasuriya & some students by the look of it. Just what a desperately undercooked Windies team are after. Their itinerary is god-awful, it must be said. Their board want shooting for agreeing to it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Jayasuriya & some students by the look of it. Just what a desperately undercooked Windies team are after. Their itinerary is god-awful, it must be said. Their board want shooting for agreeing to it.
Maybe they were looking for a team that wouldnt embarass the WIndies and all they could think of was to pick from the guys hanging out at the Student Union.

God help WI if they lose this game. Would be funny though :)

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
"No longer" is a very poor way of putting it. Even if they weren't currently (which is highly debatable - only one Test ago they played very well to secure a draw from a none-too-easy position - even if with an amount of help from lost play) then there's no reason to presume it'd be terminal.
Its actually been terminal for at least a few years but without Lara its got even worse. Their main problem in imo is their bowling rather than their batting because a fragile batting lineup can be sustained with great bowling to back it up. Their level of batting has was probably worse throughout the 90s (post 91) but back then they still had a great bowling lineup. Now they suck in both departments.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its actually been terminal for at least a few years but without Lara its got even worse. Their main problem in imo is their bowling rather than their batting because a fragile batting lineup can be sustained with great bowling to back it up. Their level of batting has was probably worse throughout the 90s (post 91) but back then they still had a great bowling lineup. Now they suck in both departments.
Yes, but they've sucked (and so have other teams) before, and things have always got better eventually. Cricket is a cyclical game.