• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, well... it's easy to think "oh no"... but, well, maybe this might sort things out a bit the way the previous one last July didn't seem to (and the one before that did).

TBH, if he's gonna miss something, it'd be better for it to be this season. Beating WI is unlikely to be a problem, and if we can't beat India, well... even he'd be unlikely to make a difference.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Will be missed for the Indian series and the ODI of course, Fred's leaps and bounds are best bowler in the fifty over format.

cover drive man

International Captain
Did anyone think about altering his action somewhat to take the strain off his ankle. Maybe reduce the thud when he comes to the crease?
This is what Goughy posted.

Andrew Flintoff

For a longtime I have been bothered by Flintoff's action. He is a big strong boy and delivers the ball with a great deal of force.

The issue Ive had for quite a while is where his front foot points. In delivery, his front foot plants towards fine leg.

This causes a great deal of jarring and stress as it is pointing away from the direction the rest of his body is going in.

It is no surprise, to someone like myself, that he is suffering from long term left ankle problems.

The stresses on his ankle must be immense. The foot is planted and the rest of the body must come over and around that ankle.

A recipe of injury.

I would have made these observations a long time ago but there would have been many saying "Noone can criticise Freddy". The time is probably right for people to have an open mind and reflect clearly on matters.

Edit- Best example I can find online showing his left foot pointing away from the direction of the rest of his body

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Apparently the problem with his ankle this time is different to the problem which caused the last 2 operations. Not that it means alot at the moment. But hopefully it wont be anything too serious.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How dire are the Windies!

They have no heart.
Tbf though, they're perhaps the worst Test side maybe even including Bangladesh and they've just lost one of their best ever players and they're going up the second best side at home, it's not like anyone expected anything different. It's not that they lack heart, it's that they are totally lacking in class, talent and skill at the moment.
Largely agree with saggers here. If I were making a select XI of the two sides I'd only have Chanderpaul (for Bell) & Bravo (for Harmison or Plunkers, depending on preference) from the Windies. They're also (effectively) without their three best batsmen currently, which would leave a big gap in any team.

Even leaving aside the BCL issue, you'd have to ask serious questions about some of their selections too. Is Pedro Collins injured? Because if he isn't I can't for the life of me see why he isn't in the squad at least. Powell looks ordinary in the extreme, Taylor a shadow of the bowler he looked only a few months ago (carrying injury, maybe?) & whilst Collymore does at least get some lateral movement, it's at such a slow pace it's of limited effect. A spinner would've been nice too.

Bravo seems the shining light just now, but even he got himself out in a fairly brainless way after attacking Monty once too often. For someone who grew up seeing the Windies dismantle England repeatedly it's pretty depressing viewing.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Largely agree with saggers here. If I were making a select XI of the two sides I'd only have Chanderpaul (for Bell) & Bravo (for Harmison or Plunkers, depending on preference) from the Windies. They're also (effectively) without their three best batsmen currently, which would leave a big gap in any team.

Even leaving aside the BCL issue, you'd have to ask serious questions about some of their selections too. Is Pedro Collins injured? Because if he isn't I can't for the life of me see why he isn't in the squad at least. Powell looks ordinary in the extreme, Taylor a shadow of the bowler he looked only a few months ago (carrying injury, maybe?) & whilst Collymore does at least get some lateral movement, it's at such a slow pace it's of limited effect. A spinner would've been nice too.

Bravo seems the shining light just now, but even he got himself out in a fairly brainless way after attacking Monty once too often. For someone who grew up seeing the Windies dismantle England repeatedly it's pretty depressing viewing.
Bravo’s bowling isn’t good enough to get him anywhere near a combined test XI and his batting at this moment in time is no better than anyone in are top six. Credit to Dwayne his a good cricketer with lots of potential and critically his got some heart but his nowhere near good enough for England, different story in ODI of course.

The only two cricketers who could really mount a case for selection in XI are (as you say) Chanderpaul and for me Sarwan but his been pretty poor in test’s for a long time now.

And in regard to Pedro Collins, I believe his fit and I think its been said numerous times already on this thread about what a difference Pedro could have made and how its ridiculous not to see him in a West Indian side. He was a good bowler from what I can remember.

The West Indies even with Chanderpaul and Sarwan in their side still have serious problems and according to Bob Willis, the West Indies wouldn't even beat Bangladesh. Bit cruel from Bob but I know whose got the more 'potent' and varied bowling attack.