• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Nishant

International 12th Man
Considering all that's happened, my team for the Old Trafford Test(MCC game permiting):

Gayle
Ganga(c)
Smith
Chanderpaul
Samuels/Hinds
Morton
Bravo
Ramdin
Powell
Edwards
Collymore
That looks about right...but still dont think that WI can pull off a victory TBH...i think we'll be lucky to see hem put on a good fight against england.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies need a spinner in my opinion, their 'quick' bowlers had to bowl 80mph because they had to bowl long spells. An economical spinner in tandem with Bravo bowling long spells would be priceless for Taylor and Powell and possibly Edwards if he is selected.
They have a spinner. He's sat in Trinidad twiddling his thumbs.

Nishant

International 12th Man
They have a spinner. He's sat in Trinidad twiddling his thumbs.
ive always thought that WI have no respect for spinners anyway. So, i can see this spinner twiddling his thumbs for much longer unless WI change their attitude towards the value of a good spinner.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Looks freezing out there. Isn't PF at the match today? Feel sorry for him tbh.
Yeah, I was.

Bloody freezing all day, made the foolish mistake of wearing Green Flash shoes, which were no better than flip-flops tbh.

Pretty dire days cricket, Bravo played a decent knock, and Plunkers bowled OK, but apart from that, it was dire.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Haven't been following this match as closely as i would have liked but watching it today noticed that there was a 12th man on the field for most of the time? Who was he on for and is someone injured that i do not know about???

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't been following this match as closely as i would have liked but watching it today noticed that there was a 12th man on the field for most of the time? Who was he on for and is someone injured that i do not know about???
There was a couple of subs on the field today, most notable 12th man was Yorkshire's domestic opener, Joe Sayers. Boycott has a thing for the kid, probably because he bats slower than he did in his pomp but the rest of TMS team didn't have a clue who established pro was.

As Tom said it was Ian Bell who spent the most time in the treatment room. Although, Bell's back may give the England selectors some convenience for the third test if Fred is fit.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
All this talk about Sidebottom and him keeping his place etc. As I said in an earlier post, Tests at Headingley carry no relation to the rest of a career.

Its a special place. What Sidebottom did this Test shouldnt be brought into the conversation regarding his future selection.

He did a great professional job but it was 'horses for courses' and he exploited beneficial conditions like an experienced pro.

Headingley is a rare beast and its history is full of players taking advantage of the conditions and struggling elsewhere.

Just to add, could you imagine how WI would have struggled if it was a true old style Headingley track where not only did it swing in overcast skys but was a low green mamba that seamed devilishly? Eish! They only got half of what Headingley used to offer and they would have struggled to make 3 figures.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All this talk about Sidebottom and him keeping his place etc. As I said in an earlier post, Tests at Headingley carry no relation to the rest of a career.

Its a special place. What Sidebottom did this Test shouldnt be brought into the conversation regarding his future selection.

He did a great professional job but it was 'horses for courses' and he exploited beneficial conditions like an experienced pro.

Headingley is a rare beast and its history is full of players taking advantage of the conditions and struggling elsewhere.
Quite surprised to hear you saying that as you've previously criticised England for selecting bowlers who tick the right boxes (young, tall, able to bowl over 85mph). I would have thought you'd welcome a craftsman who has honed his bowling in county cricket.

Moreover I think Sidebottom is accurate & nippy enough to be a solid stock bowler when the ball doesn't swing. Something which you couldn't accuse Plunkett or Harmison of currently.

I don't know what's more dire.

Windies based on this match or the fact that England won't be able to whitewash a team who have only brought 3 players on tour.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My West Indies X1 for Old Trafford

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Clive Lloyd
Garry Sobers
Jeffrey Dujon
Michael Holding
Colin Croft
Curtley Ambrose
Courtney Walsh

:ph34r:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
My West Indies X1 for Old Trafford

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Clive Lloyd
Garry Sobers
Jeffrey Dujon
Michael Holding
Colin Croft
Curtley Ambrose
Courtney Walsh

:ph34r:

Can't believe you missed out Sylvester Joseph.