• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, I am not sure if you are joking or not and this makes this post funnier.
Of course I am, joking about how everything good Vaughan does is turned to Gold and everything bad he does should be the end of his career, probably wasn't clear.

simmy

International Regular
I think, the lack of bowling Plunkers at the end, where easy wickets were on offer, means he'll be the one to miss out, IF Freddie or Hoggy come back. Not against that tbh, Old Trafford should be the best pitch for both Harmi and Monty to bowl on.
Seconded.

pasag

RTDAS
I said it before, but this series and the India Bangladesh series have been following interesting parallels so far. First match washed out, second England/India put on a massive first innings score and bowl out WI/Bang twice after enforcing the follow on.

chalky

International Debutant
Can't see Monty troubling India tbh and whilst Flintoff and Hoggard are quite good and I rate both of them, it's just not enough, even if they are both firing. That said, like Simmy, I think England will win the series.
TBH I felt the same way about Monty last year against Pakistan but he ended up being the best bowler during the series I also think the Indian batting (Dravid apart) is in decline hence the reacll of Ganguly and messing about with Sehwag. But I suppose thats a discussion for another topic and the only way we will know is when the series starts.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I said it before, but this series and the India Bangladesh series have been following interesting parallels so far. First match washed out, second England/India put on a massive first innings score and bowl out WI/Bang twice after enforcing the follow on.
Yes, it is starting to get a bit creepy now. Good thing that one of the series is over before Dravid gets a knee injury :)

From my knowledge 1962 Pakistan was quite dire and I am also quite certain a few Kiwi sides from the 60's and Lankan sides from the 80's must be quite poor (mainly due to teething problems) but man this one really takes the cake.
Where we forced to sit through four pointless matches of those though?

PY

International Coach
Vaughan

Code:
as captain            33   62   5  2046 166  140  120   35.89   6   9   3
not as captain        31   53   3  2549 197  195  183   50.98   9   5   4

toss won              29   50   5  2134 195  183  177   47.42   6   7   5
toss lost             35   65   3  2461 197  156  145   39.69   9   7   2

toss won & batted     19   35   4  1639 195  183  177   52.87   5   6   3
This shows how captaincy has directly hindered his performance. Indirectly, interesting to see that when batting first of choice, Vaughan needs not worry about captaining the team and so bats very well. Another hundred batting first of choice adds to this theory.
I'd have thought that this was more down to the fact that if you win the toss, you're more likely to do what is best for your team i.e. if it is great batting conditions then you opt to bat and smash the ball about. You lose the toss, you could be asked to bat last on a bunsen.

Wouldn't put too much into it but it's a nice little statistical discussion.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have thought that this was more down to the fact that if you win the toss, you're more likely to do what is best for your team i.e. if it is great batting conditions then you opt to bat and smash the ball about. You lose the toss, you could be asked to bat last on a bunsen.

Wouldn't put too much into it but it's a nice little statistical discussion.
Yes, that is a main part of it since he averages something like 29 when put in but teams are only usually put in in a Test match if the conditions are atrocious for batting. Most teams would want to bowl on the fifth day in the final innings.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
With few exceptions, B grade beat Z grade.

Absolutely horrible times for the Windies
West Indies need a spinner in my opinion, their 'quick' bowlers had to bowl 80mph because they had to bowl long spells. An economical spinner in tandem with Bravo bowling long spells would be priceless for Taylor and Powell and possibly Edwards if he is selected.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Considering all that's happened, my team for the Old Trafford Test(MCC game permiting):

Gayle
Ganga(c)
Smith
Chanderpaul
Samuels/Hinds
Morton
Bravo
Ramdin
Powell
Edwards
Collymore