• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Quite surprised to hear you saying that as you've previously criticised England for selecting bowlers who tick the right boxes (young, tall, able to bowl over 85mph). I would have thought you'd welcome a craftsman who has honed his bowling in county cricket.

Moreover I think Sidebottom is accurate & nippy enough to be a solid stock bowler when the ball doesn't swing. Something which you couldn't accuse Plunkett or Harmison of currently.

Thats certainly true. However, my point is more that I will never take into account what happens in a Headingley Test when evaluating a player.

Sidebottom is a workman like and has honed his skills and there may be a place for him on certain occasions where the conditions are suited to a player that has the experience to fully exploit them.

I just dont see him being capable of having any sort of long term prospects. Given the choice (if both were fit) Id take Lewis.

Sidebottom is a good honest county pro and represented that maligned group with honour this Test. He showed that you dont have to be a 'prospect' or a 'talent' if you know how to bowl and exploit the conditions.

But to repeat myself, I dont see any long term career especially as Headingley is a place you must discount when evaluating players.

As I said in an earlier post, if we ignore the special conditions at Headingley then Mallander is one of the most unlucky players in history, rather than it just being a good pick for that game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Brendon Kuruppu averaged 223 at one point (though he wasn't a keeper when he finally got an average, having scored 201* as keeper, then 19 as opener in his next Test, then 3 in the second innings before getting out again)
Ian Bell averaged 297 going into the 05 Ashes. I think he suffered a 250 average drop in that series, must be a record

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Really, I know that Sidebottom was selected for just the one Test because of various reasons, but if Harmison and Plunkett get another go bowling rubbish and Sidebottom gets dropped, that'll be absolutely dire.

On another note, booooo rain. And on another note, where is GIMH?
Bank Holiday over here, so I'd just he's lumbered with something family-orientated.

& totally agree WRT your first point. More to bowling than the ability to hit 85mph+ on occasion.
Yeah, having some teething probs with the broadband at home, and my Dad came round to see the kids and such like. Also had to do some wallpaper stripping and other such excitement. The party never ends in GIMHland.

I hate hate hate not having Sky Sports. TMS/Cricinfo & Highlights just don't cut the mustard.

Still, good win. I'd keep the side unchanged for the next test. Even if Hoggard/Flintoff are fit, let's be honest, we could have me bowling and we'd still win (weather permitting) and as such we should let them get back to match fitness in a county match. Felt a bit sorry for Strauss/Bell that we never got to bat a second time tbh

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Thats certainly true. However, my point is more that I will never take into account what happens in a Headingley Test when evaluating a player.

Sidebottom is a workman like and has honed his skills and there may be a place for him on certain occasions where the conditions are suited to a player that has the experience to fully exploit them.

I just dont see him being capable of having any sort of long term prospects. Given the choice (if both were fit) Id take Lewis.

Sidebottom is a good honest county pro and represented that maligned group with honour this Test. He showed that you dont have to be a 'prospect' or a 'talent' if you know how to bowl and exploit the conditions.

But to repeat myself, I dont see any long term career especially as Headingley is a place you must discount when evaluating players.

As I said in an earlier post, if we ignore the special conditions at Headingley then Mallander is one of the most unlucky players in history, rather than it just being a good pick for that game.
Well whatever happens for me Sidebottom has earned a place in the side for Old Trafford.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Well whatever happens for me Sidebottom has earned a place in the side for Old Trafford.
Wether he gets it if Hoggard is fit is debatable, but we all know who won't be dropped. Harmison shouldn't have been bowling at the end yesterday - surely Sidebottom deserved a chance to get a 5fer and a 10 wicket match? - but they obviously wanted to boost Harmison's confidence with cheap wickets (and even then he didn't earn them). The selectors will choose between Sidebottom and Plunkett - and his only hope would be if the selectors realise there are some teams against whom you need a No 8 who can bat...and this ain't one of them.
On another topic, they should have a match betwwen England's 1988 team and the currrent WI team - never mind the crapiness, at least they would be evenly matched!:laugh:

No it wasnt England were playing good.
And you can gauge that how exactly? Of course they are going to look good with nothing infront of them to beat.

The facts are that they had the advantage of highly favourable conditions not to mention umpiring against a side who are effectively, on par with the worst in the world and amongst the worst EVER.

Again, anything less than what transpired would have been England playing poorly.