• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So much for Daren Ganga's text book technique, unless playing across the wrong line or offering no shot to a bowler whose bringing it back into you is technically ‘correct’.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly, bowling straight is enough for these lot. McGrath would of taking 14 wickets today.

Still, nice bowling by Ryan, top pick by Moores.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Weather forecast suggests heavy rain for all of England in the next 48 hours but fingers crossed we can complete the formalities tomorrow. If only so Colin Croft can stop making ridiculously proclamations such as the West Indies can win this series. :wacko:

cover drive man

International Captain
Absolutely poor day really by the West Indies which caused that.
I understand what your saying but when the other side plays dreadfully and you dont play good you just have to be thankfull that the other side were dreadfull although you cant end up not playing at your best because you think the other side will be bad you have to continually play at your best to win. But I didnt think it was a bad day for the England side in todays play. Kevin Pieterson managed to get his first double century, Sidebottom managed to get four wickets, England managed to make West India play the follow on (Although it was a absoloutely dire perfomence from the West Indies),England managed to get two early wickets in the West Indies second innings and there is a chance the play will end tommorow so all in all I think it was a great day for the England test side.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Hmmm, really can't wait for England vs India this summer. Sorry had to post this somewhere.
With you on that tbh. I'd love to see the West Indies get back to being a force to be reckoned with as I love the Caribbean style and flair, but right now they're a long way off the other test nations, bar Bangladesh.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Weather forecast suggests heavy rain for all of England in the next 48 hours but fingers crossed we can complete the formalities tomorrow. If only so Colin Croft can stop making ridiculously proclamations such as the West Indies can win this series. :wacko:
Croft is the most dire commentator I've heard - why do TMS insist on using him?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
With all the top & middle order making runs & one day Trescothick likely to return its going to be interesting to see what the selectors do between the rest of the summer to the winter tour to Sri Lanka.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My first post in here for a day or 2 so a few thoughts.

Without Sarwan and Chanderpaul this WI lineup isnt County standard. A random selection of 11 County guys would be capable of better. Its a pretty sad fall from grace really.

Im not a Sidebottom fan (for reasons I dont really want to go into here) but it was a good selection. He shouldnt play again after this Test but he showed a geat professional attitude today and exploited the conditions very well. He showed that a guy that does this for his living can slot in and do a job.

We shouldnt get too excited about Sidebottoms England future. Headingley is a pretty unique venue and what happens in Leeds should stay in Leeds. If people got excited about performances in Headingley Tests then 'Ghostie' would be an England legend.

Great to see KP. I know this is stating the obvious, but what a player! phew

Disappointing to see Harmison still not looking like he should and his speed looks a little down. Looks like he may be thinking about stuff in delivery.

Anyway, England to wrap this up easily tomorrow and enjoy the week off.

Last edited:

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Honestly, bowling straight is enough for these lot. McGrath would of taking 14 wickets today.

Still, nice bowling by Ryan, top pick by Moores.
I think your being a little harsh. I think Sidebottom worked the first two out. In many ways that Hoggard has many times before. Even so though , the Windies did look pretty awful against the swinging ball.

I think the selection shows that there no better bowling that someone who has bowled for years on the county circuit. Just think , if we'd have had Duncan Fletcher in charge that would have been Saj Mahmood bowling.

I think Plunkett should go back to Durham for a couple more seasons. We've already got Harminson stuggling , but there aren't many strike bowlers that have the quality (even if Harminson is serving up ordinary spells). But again I suppose number 8 becomes an issue. OK I suppose I'm being a little baised towards Harminson but I think hes a different type of bowler. With the issue of Englands tail , (batting wise) , I don't think we should worry terribly about them being able to bat. If the batsmen bat well , (which even ignoring these 1st two tests) on the whole has been enough not to need the tail. England probably need 4 bowlers who can get the wickets.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I understand what your saying but when the other side plays dreadfully and you dont play good you just have to be thankfull that the other side were dreadfull although you cant end up not playing at your best because you think the other side will be bad you have to continually play at your best to win. But I didnt think it was a bad day for the England side in todays play. Kevin Pieterson managed to get his first double century, Sidebottom managed to get four wickets, England managed to make West India play the follow on (Although it was a absoloutely dire perfomence from the West Indies),England managed to get two early wickets in the West Indies second innings and there is a chance the play will end tommorow so all in all I think it was a great day for the England test side.
Not saying England didn't play well but the West Indies would still be in their first innings now if they played anywhere near decent.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Actually quite rate Plunkett, bit wayward but swings it, definitely a good prospect if he can acquire a bit more accuracy.

WI really were quite dire from what I hear.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
They were. And about Plunkett, if he gets more accuracy he'll certainly be very good. Maybe it's his action...I don't know but he really should be bowling more accurately as should Jerome Taylor. Speaking of Taylor, he's lost quite a bit of pace. The commentators keep harping on the sameness of the WI attack. A fit Taylor though, while not as fast as Edwards certainly would add more variety. Anyone have a clue as to why he's lost so much pace?

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
i was wondering the same thing about taylor. also was quite interested to hear michael holding saying the west indies camp aren't entirely convinced about fidel edwards fitness during a discussion about him playing to add some real pace.

anything interesting on what's happened to jermaine lawson? his action? his future prospects etc.