• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I only caught the end of it actually, but Jimmy Adams has a habit of stating the obvious.
He was very good. Candid about WI cricket and honest about the teams he played on. Also the obviois is sometimes need when looking at development problems as people tend to over complicate it.

I was impressed with him.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was very good. Candid about WI cricket and honest about the teams he played on. Also the obviois is sometimes need when looking at development problems as people tend to over complicate it.

I was impressed with him.
I meant when he was commentating on the play, not the discussions they have during the breaks. I haven't really heard enough of him to make a judgement.

grecian

Some old woman molesting Ally Cook on Skysports now. I expect that to be the highlight of the day, tbh.

It was due to start at half one, but it's started raining again. I would be very surprised if we got much play today :(

I think I'll watch the Grand Prix, hate it normally, but like any good Britisher, I jump on a bandwagon when I see one.

C'mon Lewis:)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
What's happening with the weather now just proves how inept WI were yesterday. If they were two down in the first innings, they'd have a chance of saving this now. They need two days to be washed out to have a chance because of yesterday's ineptitude. And it wasn't as if we were brilliant with the ball yesterday - Harmison and Plunkett were still woefully inconsistent - its just that the Windies nicked thier good deliveries. I suspect they'll keep Harmison when Hoggard is fit and drop Sidebottom - harsh but I felt this selection was a "like for like" - they wanted the nearest they could get to Hoggard. I wonder what Jon Lewis is thinking - I think if he had been fit he'd have got Sidebottom's spot. Still a shrewd - if unexpected - pick. To think that the WC had a list of England's back-up pace bowlers (basically those who did not play an Ashes Test last winter) and it included Smith of Lancashire, Kirby of Gloucester and a Notts bowler -Charlie Shreck - but not Sidebottom. That's how highly they rated his chances of geting picked.

Perm

Plunkett could be decent, whereas Sidebottom was a straight swap for Matthew Hoggard.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well, I live about 12 miles away from Headingley, and we have had pretty much no rain all day, so I'm not sure why they haven't played, unless there is a dramatic change over the 12 miles.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha, WTF? Sidebottom 79-82... maybe he's done some work on his arm-speed last winter.
This was last season.
Heh. Can only say the stuff I was watching was different to what you must have been. Rare was the Sidebottom delivery that reached 78, never mind 80, mph.
I thought of this exchange whilst watching yesterday's highlights. Sidebottom was consistently in the speed range I suggested & I saw one up at 84.7mph too. Really can't believe the times that Richo saw him he was that much down on pace. :huh:

Anyway, fair effort from Ryan yesterday. I'll hold my hand up & say I was a bit sceptical about his inclusion, but a left arm swing bowler was invaluable yesterday. Moroever, I reckon (given the number of southpaws in the Windies team) it would be extremely harsh for him to not be included in the squad for the next test.

Thought Plunkers figures flattered him slightly, although he did mix in the odd genuine wicket taking delivery amidst the dross, but that he finally showed some of his ability with the bat. Which brings us to KP; what more can you say? Makes a double-ton look something of stroll and then selflessly has a mow with the declaration imminent. I reckon I can think of a few batters who wouldn't have been caught slogging at deep point with the smell of red ink in the air.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Which brings us to KP; what more can you say? Makes a double-ton look something of stroll and then selflessly has a mow with the declaration imminent. I reckon I can think of a few batters who wouldn't have been caught slogging at deep point with the smell of red ink in the air.
Dead right. Puts paid to the arguments of the idiots who still accuse him of not being a team player. How you could attempt to pick a fault in a guy who has now scored more runs in his first 25 Tests than anyone bar Bradman is beyond me.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Dead right. Puts paid to the arguments of the idiots who still accuse him of not being a team player. How you could attempt to pick a fault in a guy who has now scored more runs in his first 25 Tests than anyone bar Bradman is beyond me.
I would put £100 on him getting to 10K test runs.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think it's a big monkey off his back, getting past that 158, because people were starting to question whether he had the appetite for a massive score, well it's clear he does.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
So would I. I'd also put money on him breaking 200 in an ODI,
He'd have to open to do that (or come in at 3 very early or something), though.

An outside possibility, but I definitely wouldn't put serious money on it given that players like Gilchrist, who has been opening in ODIs for a long time and hasn't come particularly close to 200.