• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

PY

International Coach
But finally, with all due respect, Marc, Richard, and Piscine, please just give it a rest between you three. What the hell do you three possibily hope to achieve? It's just a bloody cricket forum, where you wouldn't know each other, even if you walked down the same street.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but it brings down the quality of CC and it is one reason why I'm not don't visit CC all that much compared to what I used to.
I agree completely, if it isn't directly relevant to this game in particular to a minute detail then I'm considering deleting posts because the series threads are one of the main reasons I think CW succeeds and they are being made utter crap by petty, immature, pointless, uninteresting faeces-like posts.

Cut it out or take a break from CW if you're going to be irritating everyone else. :dry:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Alastair Cook - probably my favourite English cricketer and I have a feeling he is going to be one of the greats of English crikcet after his career has finished (I said this to my friend before the start of the Ashes series).

One thing of concern I do have about him though is that from his 5 100s thus far, he has a top score of 127.

Or am I looking at things in the wrong context?

I think it was Gooch who said that the good thing about Michael Vaughan (circa 2003) was that he didn't make baby hundreds. Either way, a hundred is a hundred, but it would be really good to see cook make a double some day - there just appears to be a concentration lapse after he scores a hundred and that was clearly seen at Perth and slight hesitation could be noticed yesterday.

Opinions?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Alastair Cook - probably my favourite English cricketer and I have a feeling he is going to be one of the greats of English crikcet after his career has finished (I said this to my friend before the start of the Ashes series).

One thing of concern I do have about him though is that from his 5 100s thus far, he has a top score of 127.

Or am I looking at things in the wrong context?

I think it was Gooch who said that the good thing about Michael Vaughan (circa 2003) was that he didn't make baby hundreds. Either way, a hundred is a hundred, but it would be really good to see cook make a double some day - there just appears to be a concentration lapse after he scores a hundred and that was clearly seen at Perth and slight hesitation could be noticed yesterday.

Opinions?
I think it's a fair comment. Strauss is the same IIRC

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whatever then. If you don't want to take your lumps like a man, then so be it.

If your post doesn't win the Greigy tho we'll know the awards are both a travesty & a farce.
Ridiculous. Firstly, there it's highly unlikely to have been sarcastic given your opinion of Prior and secondly, even if it was, you have no right to edit such a post after the fact, IMO. Disgraceful act - dire.
Hahaha, this really is beyond belief. No, I wasn't expecting Prior to play that sort of innings, but that doesn't mean a post like that was not a sarcastic one.

I have a right to clarify a post, though obviously it'd not have been neccessary had events not taken the turn they did.

I'm not in charge of the Greigy, so it reflects nothing on the "travesty and farce" of the awards (love the way Brumbers has the nerve to say that after accusing me of melodrama on the SW\BLE front) if that post doesn't win said award. I won't accept the award if it does, the way I accepted, for instance, the Ireland one, however.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh, I think Richard is wrong.

That innings to balls and talent and it just shows that I was right when I said he should have been in the WC squad.
Quite apart from the fact that this is Test cricket and so has no bearing on the World Cup whatsoever, given your past propensity for overreacting to the deeds of England players it's hardly surprising.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway, regarding Prior, I think some people are over-reacting a tad, but I also think some are failing to credit him at all for fear of him being another Jones. The innings itself doesn't quite prove as much as some are making out, however the fact that it was similar to that of another player who turned out to be a failure isn't exactly a reason to play it down. I'm quite sure, as much as it was a good time for Prior to come in, that Richard, Grecian and the like did not expect him to score a century. He did anyway and though (and in fine style, I must add), so I'll not sit her and read about how it means nothing because he was expected to do so or, even more ridiculously, because Jones scored a hundred in similar circmstances early in his career. Firstly, one must realise that Jones has greatly underachieved with the bat rather than just being rubbish and secondly, one must realise that Prior is a much more accomplished batsman at first class level anyway - as well as appearing to have better footwork and shot selection among other things. The similarities between the innings are no real reason to play it down, IMO, and as much as it wasn't a particularly tough time to come in, he did all expected of him and thensome.
I think you've rather misinterpreted what I was saying. I have never remotely suggested that because it bears similarity to the Jones foray at Headingley (which it undeniably does, plenty of them) that means there's any possibility of their careers panning-out in the same way... and yes, Jones certainly underachieved but there's a reason for that - lack of brainpower with bat in hand.

I also think people need to realise that at the start of Jones' career he, too, was an accomplished batsman at the domestic level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
No, I wasn't expecting Prior to play that sort of innings, but that doesn't mean a post like that was not a sarcastic one.
I think you draw a long bow on your definition of sarcasm. For the post to truly be sarcastic, you'd really have to be mocking the fact that several members have predicted bad things for Prior - which included yourself - so I'd find that unlikely. There's little doubt in my mind that it was indeed a joke, however it was a joke based on your low expectations of Prior and not sarcasm. Personally, as it wasn't a prediction, I don't think it should go anywhere near the Greigy award and I know a thing or two about what it takes to win one - but it certainly was not sarcastic, whether in jest or not.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hahaha, this really is beyond belief. No, I wasn't expecting Prior to play that sort of innings, but that doesn't mean a post like that was not a sarcastic one.

I have a right to clarify a post, though obviously it'd not have been neccessary had events not taken the turn they did.

I'm not in charge of the Greigy, so it reflects nothing on the "travesty and farce" of the awards (love the way Brumbers has the nerve to say that after accusing me of melodrama on the SW\BLE front) if that post doesn't win said award. I won't accept the award if it does, the way I accepted, for instance, the Ireland one, however.
It is beyond belief because you are unwilling to take it like a man and accept that aybe you were wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, of course I accept I was wrong - I wasn't expecting Prior to play that innings. But the meaning of that post has been grossly misinterpreted - and yes, Rob has summed-up the situation better than I did.

Perm

England have three whole days to bowl the West Indies out twice. Batting is the West Indian strength in this team at the moment, so I expect them to put up a fairly big fight. Wouldn't mind seeing Smith score a few.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
I also think people need to realise that at the start of Jones' career he, too, was an accomplished batsman at the domestic level.
And I think people need to realise that Jones has very little to do with Prior. Furthermore, on your actual point, I don't think Jones ever had a first class average that approached 40, which Prior currently has. Undoubtedly he was a better batsman at one stage than he is now, but I don't think he ever reached Prior-like career stats.

Perm

FFS, of course I accept I was wrong - I wasn't expecting Prior to play that innings. But the meaning of that post has been grossly misinterpreted - and yes, Rob has summed-up the situation better than I did.
Now you're getting angry at people for giving you a bit of stick. You really should just stick to the cricket and stop being such a tool.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I think people need to realise that Jones has very little to do with Prior. Furthermore, on your actual point, I don't think Jones ever had a first class average that approached 40, which Prior currently has. Undoubtedly he was a better batsman at one stage than he is now, but I don't think he ever reached Prior-like career stats.
He had. After his first season he was at one point averaging over 50.

Jones himself doesn't have anything to do with Prior - but the fact is their cases do bear similarity. Therefore Prior's instant success has to have such a thing borne, at least at the back, of the mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now you're getting angry at people for giving you a bit of stick. You really should just stick to the cricket and stop being such a tool.
I'm getting mildly irritated at people giving me a bit of stick for a nothing post.

pasag

RTDAS
Looks like a great day out there, Harmison looked cheerful in the pre-match interview, don't know if that means anything, but I reckon he'll take a handful today. WI will be batting for a second time today also, imo. (late bid for the Marsh/Lillee :p)