• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Worst logic, dead set.

Of course you can have a dire fifty. You can have a bad anything really, as "dire X" measures the quality of X against other X's. A dire quadruple century would of course still be a very good innings, for example, it'd just be poor in comparison to other quadruple centuries.
Just because he's been dropped and not given out doesn't make it a bad knock, just poor shot selection. The way he has got runs is very deserving.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just because he's been dropped and not given out doesn't make it a bad knock, just poor shot selection. The way he has got runs is very deserving.
Whether it has been a bad innings or not is irrelevent. Grecian said it was a dire 50 - not a dire innings. If it's only being compared to other 50s - as it was given Grecian's wording - then there's no denying it was dire.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Whether it has been a bad innings or not is irrelevent. Grecian said it was a dire 50 - not a dire innings. If it's only being compared to other 50s - as it was given Grecian's wording - then there's no denying it was dire.
I meant innings up to now. Anyway, how on earth can you have a dire 50 then? at the end of the day the scorecard doesn't say dropped X times or nearly out to the bowling of X. Its the runs he gets that matter. In this case a 50.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rubbish. Bell has never received 3 let-offs in a half-century.
Very dubious, but I can't be arsed checking. His first 50 v Australia was the luckiest innings I've ever seen, dropped at least twice, leading edges, constant play and misses, inside edges. That was worse than Collingwood definitely unless you're stupid enough to reduce an innings to a single statistic that conveniently suits your own argument...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I meant innings up to now. Anyway, how on earth can you have a dire 50 then? at the end of the day the scorecard doesn't say dropped X times or nearly out to the bowling of X. Its the runs he gets that matter. In this case a 50.
There's more to cricket than what the scorecard says. Otherwise we'd not be watching - or posting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ash_A55 said:
Anyway, how on earth can you have a dire 50 then?
If you don't know that by now, you clearly have no idea what my point is. You can have a dire 50 if your innings is dire in comparison to other fifties. You can have a dire anything really, as when you said "Dire X", it's only being compared to others of the same.

If you still don't get it, you never will, so I shan't bother any longer. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very dubious, but I can't be arsed checking. His first 50 v Australia was the luckiest innings I've ever seen, dropped at least twice, leading edges, constant play and misses, inside edges. That was worse than Collingwood definitely unless you're stupid enough to reduce an innings to a single statistic that conveniently suits your own argument...
In case you've missed, Collingwood has played and missed plenty here too.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven't seen as much seam movement as I was expecting today, there's certainly been swing though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aleem Dar has a right to feel aggrieved that David Lloyd seemed to just suggest that he and Asad Rauf were umpires of similar ability.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mail me at (deleted), sounds an excellent idea if it's workable. I can do a proper job on the first 2 sessions, mail it to you, then you can do a brief intro and third session, and post it.

I doubt I'll get a better offer, TBH. Thanks mate. :)
Presume you got my email, but will post just in case... Alex is doing the report for today apparently, didn't spot the change.