• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

open365

International Vice-Captain
Got out for 5 in a school match on Thursday, hit a leg stump full toss straight to mid wicket then got hit for 35 of 3 overs, i'm averaging 44.5 less than Neil this year.

Chubb

International Regular
UEA II B XI 211-9 (T. Vehvilainen 70, N. Wimberley 39, D. Littlehales 26, Chubb 15)
UEA II A XI 212-5 (C. Rooney 70ret, C. Metherell 39ret)

This was a good friendly between two teams of mostly 2nd XI squad players. I opened the batting, and just wanted to do better than the last (and only) time I played at the UEA when I got a goldie. The A XI had a 1st team fast bowler who was getting a lot of bounce off the pitch, and from the other end was a good second-teamer. There wasn't any swing or real movement though. I got off the mark pulling this fast bowler round the corner for a single, then hit the second-teamer for four to fine leg. Next I drove him for 2. then in his next over I smacked a square drive through point for four. At this point I'd scored all the team's runs off the bat, because my opening partner was getting bounced every ball from this 1st teamer, who doesn't like him. Unfortunately, he got out for a 20-ball duck to this fast bowler, and he wasn't best pleased.

Now I was facing the quick bowler, and he beat the edge of my bat four times in succession- but then he strayed onto my pads and I flicked him for a single. He was then taken off having bowled his spell. Then they brought on a medium pacer, and I popped his first ball straight to cover. I couldn't believe it. I'd done the hard part, got through the opening overs and then thrown it away, leaving us 53-3.

Fortunately Wimberley and Vehvilainen had a good partnership- these two guys are proper second team top-order batsmen unlike me, but when Wimberley got out we collapsed to 156-7. Vehvilainen, who is half Finnish, played very well with the tail to get us up to a competitive score.

We didn't have much luck in the field and Rooney, another first-teamer, batted very well before having to leave. Then Metherell, the second team captain, saw them to the target.

I was pleased that at least I didn't get a duck and I played the opening bowlers pretty well considering, but I am annoyed that I threw the innings away against the bowler who was most like the standard I face in Devon. Still I guess it was an alright start to the season.

chris.hinton

International Captain
If Neil has improved as a Batsman there is hope for me, I not too good at the moment I am working hard though..... My Scores this year are 0 and 1 so getting better!

Bowling is good though this year are 5-0-13-1, i play for Erdington Court

Anna

Twas our 1st BUSA match of the season & we won :D

UBWCC bt Uni of Warwick by 5 wkts.
We bowled them out for 75 off 26 overs & got the runs in about 20. I opened the batting :wacko: and was playing pretty well (considering I hadn't touched a bat since about 5 weeks ago!) until I started wafting off-side and was lbw for 11. After a decent net session tomorrow, the matches on tues & weds should be a lot better!

Swervy

International Captain
2 innings , 10 runs as opener for me so far this season. Yesterday felt as though someone had surgically removed the middle from my bat:@

Chubb

International Regular
UEA IIs 225-8 (J. Lawson-West 46* E. Budge 33 Chubb 16)
Derby University IIs 101 a/o (Lawson-West 6-20, J. R. Orlando 2-29, N. Wimberley 2-13)

This was a great win. We went up to Derby only to find the worst pitch I've ever laid eyes on- it was soft, overgrown, with wildly unpredictable bounce and balls that stopped on you from the off. We lost the toss and of course got put it, but we had a good 59-run partnership from the openers before they both fell in successive balls popping the ball into the off side. When I came in we were 104-4. It was incredibly hard work, most of the time I couldn't lay a bat on, there was swing, seam, horrible bounce, awful pace- a real horror show. I was lucky to get 16, but when I got out trying to hit out Lawson-West, the number 8, came in and smashed 46* with five fours and three sixes, the last of which came off the last delivery of the innings. Thanks to him we got a very good score, and akll the batsmen contributed to the total in some way- I think five of us got out in the teens.

JR, an American baseball pitcher turned lighting quick, inaccurate fast bowler struck in his first over, but they got off to something of a flyer before JR got one on target to get rid of their best player, but they were still 80-2 off about 13 overs before Lawson-West was given the ball. He bowled superbly and Derby didn't have a answer on that wicket. He was on a hatrick twice but both times failed to get it. Derby completely disintegrated under the onslaught and in the end we won convincingly. There was no doubt about the man of the match of course. This was the first time we had won a game since any of us had come to the UEA.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bangor Uni 1st XI 240ao
beat
Liverpool Uni 2nd XI 115ao
at Liverpool.

One of our openers scored 73 and our number 5 scored 47 including smacking 3 6s in an over (that bowler ended up with 3 overs 0/39, brutal). I hit 5* including a widely praised open face shot for 4 down to the third man area.

We had them in a fair bit of trouble early on after our openers took a wicket each. I came on as first change, my first ball went for 6, then had two people drop catches in that over. Next over i managed to frustrate a guy so he attempted to pull/sweep a ball, only to miss it and get bowled. New guy comes up, pitch it full and straight, he was absolutely plumb and off he goes. My hattrick ball wasn't wasted, but it was edged safely past 2nd slip. Had an over where i strayed onto leg too much because i wasn't bowled close enough to the stumps. Next over made sure i was closer to them, guy straight drives in the air to a 2/3rds mid off who catches it.

Ended up with 6 overs for 3/22 which i'm very happy with.

open365

Damnit my hometown university letting us down there.

My scores so far; 0,5,22,21,17,17,40,87 and 5

Today was awful, my 4th team got bowled out for 32 and i somehow was top scorer with 5, the team we were playing were decent but being 32 all out is just pathetic.