• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
I've been allowed two overs this year, and they were bowled at excessive loop to try enticing a shot out of a number eleven...
Would probably have got me out tbh 8-)

Chubb

International Regular
Sunday;

Seaton 182-9 (T. Pigors 100ret.)
Kilmington 183-6 (39.4 ovs. A. Parr 84* Chubb 11 T. Pigors 8-2--24-2, N. Leach 8-1-7-1)

A rare Sunday without an Upottery match, following an unexplained dropping from the side for Saturday which made me pretty cross because a) I am top of the averages with 57 at the moment (even with two Not Outs) and b) I have not failed in any of the league innings I have played, I mean, I opened at Witheridge and got 34, came in with 28 to win in a tight finish at Chardstock and was not out, and then was not out when we were destroyed by Churchinford. What more do I have to do? At the very least you'd think I'd be in the seconds. It didn't do us any good anyway because the first team were bowled out for 130 at Kentisbeare and lost by nine wickets.

Anyhow, despite this I played for Kilmington at Seaton. it was an odd day and a pretty odd match. Over the cliffs to the west were some pretty dark clouds and rain but all the way east was bright sunshine- the front was coming in off the sea and Seaton was right on its boundary.

I say it was an odd match because Pigors, a Zimbabwean living in England, smashed his hundred off 20 overs and left his side at 126-2, but the rest couldn't get anywhere at all against the Killy bowling. They should have gotten 200+ easily, but "we" really hauled it back. I don't agree with people retiring because it manufactures a game and Pigors probably regretted his decision later. He was dropped on 23 by someone who ought to have done better, which didn't help Kilmington.

I opened the batting with one of the Kilmington IIs players- he played and missed at the first ball, it went through the keeper and we ran one bye. I then took ten off the rest of the over, which left me feeling pretty good. Unfortunately, the first ball of the fourth over pitched back of a length and rose about a foot off the ground, and bowled me. It was just bad luck really, but I was annoyed because I should have been ready for variable bounce.
Anyhow it didn't matter because Parr batted superbly and Kilmington just edged it at the very end, despite Pigors's best efforts.

Seaton only fielded two of their first team, Leach and Pigors, and it showed. The club used to be home to Somerset opener Arul Suppiah, but since he left things haven't gone so well for them and they risk being relegated into the B Division despite having been in the Premier last year. it's a nice ground even though it is in one of the scabbiest and most run-down towns in Devon.

Last edited:

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Sunday

Stoke Gabriel Sunday XI def Coaver 7 Wickets

Coaver batting first made a generous 130. I say generous becuase I came on to bowl in only my second mens match. We could have had them out really cheaply but I got a wicket.

We knocked them off pretty comfortably.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting to read reports from more than one angle - so off another board...

"I made my return to first team action on sunday against stoke gabriel. I made 21 off about 12 balls including 5 fours. We were skittled out for 131 which they knocked off with 20 overs to spare. I bowled one over and was promptly removed from the attack.

[One of the stoke bowlers] had a 12 pace run up to bowl and i have never seen anyone with such a long run up bowl so slowly. His run up to the crease took about half an hour i could have read war and peace in between him setting off and the ball being bowled. The difficult part was trying to focus on the ball when his jordanesque moobs were wobbling up and down and then he let out a monica seles style grunt as he let go.

Deffo one for the future."

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
[One of the stoke bowlers] had a 12 pace run up to bowl and i have never seen anyone with such a long run up bowl so slowly. His run up to the crease took about half an hour i could have read war and peace in between him setting off and the ball being bowled. The difficult part was trying to focus on the ball when his jordanesque moobs were wobbling up and down and then he let out a monica seles style grunt as he let go.

Deffo one for the future."
Who said that because that was definatly about me im sure. They were crap.

Neil Pickup said:
so off another board...
Which board? Ive so have to visit that

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Saturday

Ipplepen II 259-4 dec [38]
Exeter III 146 [50.2]

Horrible bowling, horrible fielding, horrible batting. I was LBW for 2, plumb as you like playing inside the line and not getting my feet going properly. I have to sort that out. I'm sulking.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ashbrittle - 174/6
Stoke - 177/5

RD Hingston 58* and 2-33 (6)

Really happy to have played a fluent and measured knock, coming in at 37/3.. Had such a poor season thus far and put on 109 with a mate.. Focussed due to having such a bad match away against these guys which made me more determined..

Chubb

International Regular
Saturday

Halberton and Stampford Peverell 263-8 (K. Feaver 98, S. Drew 5-74)
Upottery 183-8 (M. Button-Stephens 36, Chubb 5)

We just scraped a draw that we didn't really deserve. Despite the fact that they outplayed us for the entire game, they only get 13 points to our 10 when something like 20-4 would be more appropriate. We started dreadfully, dropping Feaver on 20 and missing four or five chances in the opening partnership of 159. We pulled it back round, but they still got far too many.

I opened the batting and struggled. It was the first time I had done it against a quality league side. They had four slips and a gully in and I still went chasing for a ball outside off stump I should have left.

Sunday

Upottery 167-7 (D. Kennard 60*, Chubb 35)
Luppitt 164 a/o

Luppitt is the nearest village to Upottery, over the hill in another valley, and this is a fixture that goes right back to the 1880s. So close are the two that our second team vice-captain captains Luppitt and several of our players often play for them on Sundays instead of for us. On this occassion they had one of our second team allrounders as well as a couple of the better guys from Trull who I believe have become ****ed off with the antics of their usual team mates.

Luppitt's ground is relatively high up, commanding fantastic views overlooking the Honiton valley, indeed I could almost see my house despite it being about five miles away by road. Unfortunately, however, they are let down by their pavillion, which has neither toilets, changing rooms or showers. In that they are similar to Trull however whereas Trull's teas are frankly ****, Luppitt's are excellent and so it is a good place to play cricket.

Matches with Luppitt tend to lack a whole lot of intensity, particularly when they open the bowling with two guys coming in off three paces, but batting on the pitch was still a challenge and, batting three, I found it hard to get going before after playing out two maidens and taking nineish off about twenty balls I started accelerating. On 27, I smashed two consecutive balls around the corner for four but then, trying to play an on-drive to a ball that came on a bit faster than I was expecting I poppped the ball into the onside- it was still travelling but mid-wicket dived forward and intercepted it, taking the catch of the day. I was yet again frustrated in my quest for a fifty. Still, we recovered from 67-4 (when I got out) to post a good score thanks to some great late hitting from our captain's brother.

We bowled well, although Luppitt kept up with the rate none of their batsmen got past 35 and we had then 141-9. Shane and Jason, nine and eleven respectively, took a wicket each. Then the last wicket pair strung a partnership together and suddenly it looked like we were going to lose. But the No. 11 had a rush of blood, tried to smash a straight one for the four they needed to win and got bowled. Good game, good result.

Neil Pickup

Monday
Michael Browning Memorial Match, Exeter CC

Exeter III 150-6 (20)
City Council 100 (19)

I made three off three balls, getting in the Twenty20 spirit by launching huge moos at each of the deliveries I faced (the third went straight up). I then spent most of the game patrolling the cover boundary and made two full length sprinting/sliding/tumbling stops that saved two runs a time, before getting the ball for the 18th over. The first ball, a great long hop, was heaved straight down deep mid wicket's throat. I finished with 1/2. I would have had the last over too, but I caught the last ball of the 19th at cover, to give 11-year-old Theo figures of 3/14 to go with his two catches and nine runs on senior debut, and end the match six balls early.

Neil Pickup

I should probably add that one of the highlights was Richard refusing to even attempt to catch a huge skier at mid off.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
VCC II 87 all out
HCC II 88/8

We won the toss and batted first on a wet field(dry pitch)
we batted crap...and I got a 1st baller...really stupid, left arm orthdox bowler bowling a flatter faster on outside leg...coming in, which I didnt expect, got my bat to it...jumped in the air...onto my shoulder, which made a easy catch for the slip! sooo stupid!
can't believe that happend.
low total..but everything is possible...I came on to bowl with them needing 25 runs with 9 wickets in hand, took wicket after wicket...a stumping first, a catch on deep mid off and 4 catches in the deep on legside....6/17 of 6.1 (they hit a 6 to finish it...fielder that already took 3 catches...couldnt quiet reach it and tipped it over for 6...a pitty, game was really close, and we deffinetly were the moral winners as we sledged there **** off! :D
18 wickets in the 2nds now
51.3 overs
18 wickets
181 runs
avg: 10.05

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Thursday

Spar Ramblers 214-8dec.
Kilmington 203-8 (Chubb 13)

No one made a fifty in this match. Spar gave a generous declaration and I opened the batting with someone who shall remain nameless and is only worthy of the description "arrogant git". Good christ, I batted dreadfully though. It was like one of my old Kilmington horror shows again. I didn't play a single good attacking shot. I don't know what went wrong. I just want to forget all about it.

Saturday

Newton St Cyres 195-9 (S. Drew 4-49, M. Joyce 1-47, S. Bath 1-33 (both from 13 overs))
Upottery 196-6 (G. Kennard 74* S. Drew 50 Chubb 1)

A really good win in far-off Newton, which is more Central than East Devon. We bowled the best I have seen all summer, with Joyce, our usually wayward paceman, doing a good Steve Harmison impersonation, and Bath, who is one of the best second team bowlers but who has been playing firsts all year without much success, bowling really well.
I opened the batting again and got a very good ball from their only decent bowler, pitched up on off stump and having to be played but swinging away late to take the edge. I might have gotten away with it but first slip pulled off a one-handed catch low to his left. We slipped to 51-4 before Kennard, who had dropped two sitters at slip, and Drew recovered the situation with a 120-run partnership,. all the better considering the pitch had variable bounce and the ball was swinging.

Sunday

Kilmington 185-9 (T. Gooding 76, Chubb 13)
Whimple 186-1

I was really annoyed to be cut off when I was playing by far the best I have for Kilmington all season. I batted three and came out after a fifty run opening partnership. Unfortunately after hitting three fours I tried to hit a leg side half volley over midwicket but didn't get hold of it and midwicket took the catch. It was the right shot, I just didn't get hold of it. Kilmington petered out after that and then bowled and fielded dreadfully, handing Whimple an easy victory.

Neil Pickup

Chubb - I've had no nominations from Upottery for next year's East Devon Under 12 representative side. I know you have a decent bowler or two, and I would like to check them out. Can you chase, please?

Neil Pickup

Saturday

Exeter III 171
Babbacombe II 172/4

I don't remember ever batting worse. We had five kids in the team today, so I needed to make some contribution somewhere - but no. I scratched my way to a horribly ugly and unconvincing 3 from 10 balls, before aiming a horrendous moo at a straight ball and being even more LBW than I was two weeks ago at Ipplepen. It didn't help that we copped two stinkers - two of our kids getting sawn off to leg-befores I could see weren't out (pitching outside leg to a left hander and a major inside edge) from the pavilion. We ended up christening one of their players Mr Angry, his having got particularly excited at taking said two wickets. Had our opener not made 108, we'd have been royally stuffed.

They were generally always in control of the chase, despite me throwing myself at absolutely everything on the boundary - probably saved 10-15 runs. According to our U13 skipper, if I had a decent arm then I'd be a great fielder... There was a huge skier off Mr Angry at 150/4 that I got about six inches from reaching having sprinted back from mid on to the boundary. Wish I'd held it only for the reaction; as it was we just got a lot of screaming and fist pumping when he scrambled a bye off a 12-year-old.

The following pictures are: a) one side of Babbacombe's ground, b) the other side, and c) the front of my shirt after a full length dive to drag a ball back an inch from the midwicket boundary.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Today was a bad day.. I bowled alright, took 1 for 26 off seven overs (in the last 14 of their innings)

They hit 152, and in our reply I was caught behind for 1.. To a guy with a bowling action that would make Mr Muralitharan look as straight as Robert Mugabe at a Hitler Youth exchange programme.. In my rage at being dismissed to a chucker, I first threw my gloves down in the pavilion before going on to trash and crack my helmet on the floor and break apart two panels in the changing rooms.. My rampage was only stopped by our Olympic bobsleigh guy who I thought would kick my ar5e if he saw me destroying any more stuff..

In a voluntary penance (nobody noticed the broken panel), I've decided to roll the outfield for a morning..We lost by four runs, god I hate chuckers and cheats so much..

open365

International Vice-Captain
:laugh: @ the place where Pickup just played.

I've been to some pretty weird grounds in my time, but that's taking the biscuit.

Chubb

International Regular
Wednesday

Little Kingshill 272-5 35ovs. (Chubb 6-1-40-2 L. Caesar 80* D. Cornish 73)
Upottery 248-5 35ovs. (N/ Wyatt 55 M. Denslow 52, Chubb 41, G. Kennard 32*)

Huge-scoring match because both teams lacked players, us because most of the guys were on tour in Barry Island, South Wales (the location of the tour should tell you all you need to know about why I didn't go) and Kingshill because few people had been able to tour this year and they only had nine players. I opened the bowling , and my first two overs went for 22 as the Kingshill openers took advantage of the short boundary on the downward side of slope. After four overs they had 54. Eventually, though the ball started coming out of my hand nicely and I managed to get one guy to chip a catch to short midwicket ("Catch it!" I shouted. "What the hell did you think I was going to do!?" replied Bathy), then cleaned bowled the number three. Problem was, we had no pace bowler and runs were easy to come by against our attack of dobbers and U11s (I mean, I'm one of the slowest bowlers you'll ever see!).

I opened as usual and hit five fours and a six. Once more, however, I failed to score a fifty. This is becoming a millstone round my neck (and wait till the next match report!). Denslow, a huge 14 year-old who was playing his third game of cricket ever and whose one shot is a massive cross-the-line hoick, hit five massive sixes and ran only two singles in his innings, bringing up the fifty with the last of the sixes. Kingshill had no fast bowler either so we always stood a chance but boundaries became hard to come by when Cornich, a Sri Lankan, bowled and we petered out.

Saturday
Witheridge 145-9 (S. Drew 5-27)
Upottery 149-2 (P. Legge 54, Chubb 46 (104-run opening partnership)

I did it again! I had batted really well on a wet wicket with Legge, then suddenly I looked up at the board and the guys had put up our scores- 49 and 46. I began to feel incredibly nervous. "Pressure, boys, he's never got a fifty!" chirped the Witheridge keeper. The very next ball I had a massive hoick across the line, trying to get it over with and finally score a fifty. Of course I missed. Witheridge laughed me off the pitch, not altogether unfairly, because it was one of the stupidest things I've ever done, and I was met with several accusations of jug-avoidance from the guys, because that is now the fourth time I have done it. I punched the wall in the dressing room a few times. "It was the worst shot you played all innings, mate" said the captain. It's gonna be different next time.

Sunday
Chard 121a/o (S. Drew 2.3-1-4-5, Chubb 4-2-8-0)
Upottery 126-7 (S. Drew 55* Chubb 10)

And today I was triggered by the Chard umpire after a half-hearted appeal. Everyone knew it wasn't out except the umpire "just don't get hit on the pads, for god's sake!" said our captain to Drew, as he began his innings. Time was I would have been happy with this weekend, but now I am worried I will not get a fifty this year. Anyhow, Drew had a massive game, we played a lot of U11s who did well with the ball but constantly back away with the bat. They're scared, probably subconciously, but they must work on it.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Neil Pickup said:
Chubb - I've had no nominations from Upottery for next year's East Devon Under 12 representative side. I know you have a decent bowler or two, and I would like to check them out. Can you chase, please?
^ ^ ^ !!!

Chubb

International Regular
Yeah sorry forgot to say. I've asked the coach who is probably going to deal with it. You might hear something soon.