• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Average still at 47.00. Enjoying it while I can - Ottery St Mary next Saturday, so long as they can find a team anyway...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Had just one game this season, batted 11 and bowled rubbish.. 1-24 and 0 not out.. Sucks that the cricket season is over, and its 32 degrees and hasnt rained for a month..

Swervy

International Captain
2 innings , 10 runs as opener for me so far this season. Yesterday felt as though someone had surgically removed the middle from my bat:@
oops, make that 3 innings, 10 runs...golden duck yesterday:@

we still won by 1 wicket and are second in the table!!!!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
we fielded first today
they scored 182 after 50, very doable, slow low pitch, but a fast outfield and not that big a field.
I bowled 2 very good overs, then it started to get really windy, and I was bowling against the wind, so really was pushing it, shouldn't have forced my arm to much...and gave to many crap balls...4-1-21-0 at a time we had to put the pressure on...pity :(
then we batted 103/3 after 15 to 140/9...
I came in at 11...and really played some good shots 170 I got us to...and so did the other batsman
then there came a crap ball outside off, tried to cut it, but played it craply...and looped it into covers hands :( 13 short of victory :(

open365

International Vice-Captain
Ouch, unlucky Tarick, i can't stand loosing by 15 runs or less when your the last batsman in.

I got 59* today playing against some random village team from the middle of nowhere and we won comfortably.

Hoping to catch some of SS Das batting on the top ground tommorow during the 4ths match, he came back on Friday night and hit 120 on the Saturday with jet lag.

Chubb

International Regular
Hutton VI 217 a/o (C. Woodger 58, B. Anfield 52, Chubb 38, D. O'Shaughnessy 35)
Hornchurch V 134 a/o (Chubb 2-16)

I wasn't playing for the UEA this weekend so I decided to go down to Essex to help my grandad's club out. this was the first time a VI XI had represented Hutton and they were really struggling for players- in fact even with me there we only had nine. We played the game at the Metropolitan Police Sports Club in Chigwell, a nice ground for Essex. I opened and scored quickly against a weak attack. The standard was very low, a couple of four-balls an over really. We were 60-0 after 10, but then I got out to a debatable LBW decision (might have been bat-pad but adjudged pad-bat). I was really annoyed with myself because I should have been looking to score a 100 out there- there was nothing in the bowling and the pitch was flat. the other top-order bats played well and we got a very good score for this level.

Hornchurch briefly threatened on 83-2 but they collapsed- they only had 10 players themselves, two of whom were U13s. I got two wickets, an 11 year old and a girl (aren't I the big man?), but by the time I bowled the result wasn't really in doubt.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Punjab CCR 235 a/o (E.Loomans 3/9 in 10, I Wever 3/21 in 3, R.Sharif 2/59 in 7, T.Weber 1/51 in 10)
VCC 2 236/9 in 50 (Wever 24,Vogelaar 47, Dormits 28, Trouw 27, Sarfaraz 40, E Loomans 9*)

what a game! won on the final ball of the game, with a tie on the boards and 1 needed for victory!
we started pretty good, fielding first, our openers had some trouble finding the right lenght but all seemed alright, at 68/5 all seemed to go smoothly, and the game would be over soon.
not so much, a guy who looked a lot like Inzamam Ul-Haq found his feet and luck, and scored one of the worst centuries ive ever seen, albeit helped by our sloppy fielding, in total weve dropped him 8! times...twice by yours truely, but I might add my chances were the hardest, one overheaded point catch which I just reached with my fingertips but couldn't hold onto, and one straight Kevin Pietersen slash with a banana effect at deep mid off, was happy enough that I stopped the 4! (my hand is blue atm)
I only bowled on this guy, and on my bowling he was dropped 3 times and managed to just miss fielders, just miss the ball, just lucky.
was very happy to get a wicket, bowled the number 5 round his legs, the umpire(a player from there club) gave the exact same ball, which went over legstump wide...next ball took the top of leg stump...happy with that, was bowling alright, but every ball where he could go forward on was played with some hockey-dash-slash shot for 6(I went for 5 sixes in my 10 overs)
was happy the skipper kept me on bowling, given every other bowler pace or spin got the same treatment.
our fielding got really sloppy towards the end, although we had a little cameo just before the end and managed to bowl them all out for 235, not so bad.

we started well, until one of our openers decided to pull a ball that was under his kneeroll and inside-edged it into his own wicket.
all top-order batsman made starts into there 20s but only Vogelaar at no3. managed to get close to 50.
at 179/5 we were getting a bit nervous, our lower middle order(which includes me:P) it known for its rapid collapses.
Sarfaraz at 6, played a massive innings and kept the game alive, played sensible and good cricket, was unlucky to get out at 40.
I came in 202/7 as number 9....got myself a single, wasn't feeling that well...
then trying to pull/sweep whatever a ball to low....missed it, hit my pad...completely lost track of the ball, and the other batsman yelled YES...didn't make it, came about half a meter short...unlucky.
our number 10 then made one of the best 9* ive ever seen with just 28 needed for victory, they went for the singles!
then Sarfaraz got himself out at 231 and we all got VERY nervous...since our number 11 never played cricket in his life...was called up at 9 in the morning because the 1st team decided they wanted a player of us.
he played rugby before, so knew quite well how to handle the fielding and had a decent arm and knew what was happening in the field...batting was a bit of a diffrent story...
we needed 7 of the last over, it was going to be tight, Sarafraz got out...so 5 needed for victory of 4 balls.
off drive for a single, no11 getting himself to the otherside(his running was hilarious) overthrows and he ran back, that saved us the match...another quick two saw us tied, with 1 ball to go...all fielders came in, dabbed to cover/point area and they managed to get a single WE WON :D what a lovely feeling to win such a nail-biter...

Nishant

International 12th Man
scored a ton for my club on saturday....113*...opening the batting...was really happy with that....(but i dropped a catch at slip...but hey...we still won easily :D )

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Took 3-22 of 9 overs with my leg spin. Really pleased with that as this was my first game of the season and I didn't have much confidence to bowl my leggies last season. I just put in the hard yard's in the nets over the winter.:)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
We played Calverly u-15s on Wednesday, and I made 17*, and got absolutely hammered by some kid who is meant to be a future England player, he hit me for 27 off 2 overs, which by any standards is utter ****e. He smashed two of the clubhouse windows and broke a few tiles on the roof with a monster 6.

When I was batting, I recieved a daisy trimmer from some ****e bowler, that bounced at least 5 times, I attempted to sweep it, and totally missed it due to the bounce of the pitch, and ended up going through to the keeper. The following confrontation with the umpire went like this:

Me - "Was that not a no-ball?"
Umpire - "Why would it have been a no-ball?"
Me - "Well because it bounced about 5 times, mate"
Umpire - "So?"
Me - "Well if it bounces more than twice it should be a no-ball......."
Umpire - "It can bounce as many times as it likes sonny"
Me - "Haha are you serious, mate"
Umpire - "Yes I bloody well am, now get on with it and stop complaining"
Me - "**** you"

Thankfully he didn't seem to care much, and my coach didn't hear it, otherwise I would have been in the ****.

Neil Pickup

Definitely a no-ball. As were the eleven I've called in U12/U13 this week for going over the batsman's head on the full. As was the one last season that went straight up and stopped 11 yards down the wicket.

Oh, I'm playing tomorrow. Keeping wicket. For 46 overs.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloemendaal U18 77 all out (A.Mudannayake 3/15 in 5, T Weber 2/12 in 4, R.Schoew 2/16 in 3)
VCC U18 78/2( Wides 35, T.Weber 26*)

start of season said I wasn't gonna play U18 unless short of people...and they were so I played...bowled first and cleaned them up cheaply, they had a Holland U17 player, batsman, pinned him down in my 2nd over edged to the keeper who lobbed it up to slip :p
then opened the batting for us, and saw us home easly...can't believe the amount of wides they bowled so dire!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like you had a decent game there Tarick.

Anyway, this ball bouncing twice rule is utter nonsense. If I could change 1 rule it would be that. There is no reason that any ball that bounces more than once should be legal.

Why is 2 allowed and not 3? One bounce is all that should be allowed.

Swervy

International Captain
well i finally found the middle of the bat today, and incredibly for me, I scored two boundaries off cut shots.

Stll only managed 20, but its getting better:)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
hack, I only scored one(only one in the game actually) but the boundry was miles away and the grass long

Neil Pickup

Axminster III 200-9
Thorverton II 81

Not good. We were significantly under-strength, which resulted in my (a) batting at six and (b) keeping wicket. The keeping wicket part went well - only one bye in 46 overs, a big loud shout for a caught behind turned down, and an even louder shout for a stumping turned down. The 44th over was intriguing: their number 7 came in, asked if I was standing up - I said no, as it was our opening bowler back, and I was stood about 6-8 yards back. He charged about five yards down the track and missed, but was back before my collect and throw knocked down the stumps. I then stood up for the rest of the over - the next ball was a legside beamer... the next ball prompted another charge and a dribble to square leg, another ball - another charge, miss, clean take, stumping shout... not given, seeing as the umpire was a batsman who'd already been out. Another swipe the ball after was blocked by my pads down leg side, and the final ball cleaned him up.

With the bat, our highest scorer made 15. We were 30/1 after ten, then collapsed. I came in after 13 overs on 39/4. I was out ten overs later at 62/6, having made eight (one square cut - my first scoring square cut - and one pull through fine leg off a dirty half tracker). I spotted a length ball in the slot, cleared the front leg, aimed for the boundary, and heard the death rattle as it kept nice and low and cleaned up middle. Three of us fell to shooters.

I may be keeping the gloves next week: and if I do, I'm going to make sure I steal the same pair from the Under 12s' kit bag again, too...

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Excelsior II 183/7 after 50 (E.Loomans 5/28 in 10, T.Weber 0/35 in 9)
VCC II 184/3 after about 40 (H.Vogelaar 71, S.Trouw 42*, F.Kingma 28)

a solid win, which was interrupted for about 2 hours because of rain.
we bowled well, fielded tight, only one to drop a catch was the keeper, rest of the catches where held onto! (my tally is on 2 now) I boweld well, bowled fairly tight, but not happy how I bowled, didn't get into a good rhytm, considering that, still fairly happy, bit of a dry patch in the 2nds atm :S )

we batted sensibly, no rash shots, and most shots for 4 were excellent cracking shots.
was umpiring the last 5 overs of the game, and there was a huge LBW shout, imo it went downleg as the guy was bowling huge inswingers to the right hander.
so I said not out, bowler looked dumbstruck and I said, down leg.
captain went beserk at me calling me a ****ing unsportive **** etc. etc. that i'm an asshole etc. etc. wasn't amused...
2 balls later, left handed batsman standing on leg stump, ball pitched outside leg(obvious outside) again big appeal!!! I laughed and said learn the rules, pitched outside leg.
****ing **** argument you arrogant prick etc. etc.
good umpiring day.