• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Daniel Vettori underachieving?

thierry henry

International Coach
I've said this a few times now, but I haven't seen Franklin swing anything for aaaages....perhaps he can only do it with the red ball though?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've said this a few times now, but I haven't seen Franklin swing anything for aaaages....perhaps he can only do it with the red ball though?
Yeah, I don't think he's been trying to swing the white ball much, as he generally just gets pasted when he does. He's been hitting the pitch and trying to seam the ball a bit in day cricket which has worked well for him (in comparison). I hope he remembers that he's a swing bowler when he gets back into test mode though - his new found style could come in handy when he comes back to bowl with the old ball, but he's built a fairly good test career around swinging the new ball and he shouldn't forget that.

adharcric

International Coach
Vettori is easily the best finger spinner in world cricket. He had 2 poor years where he was clearly hampered by injury and his arm ball was never the same as a result, but other than that his record is merely diminished by having to play in NZ where he hasnt benefitted from the conditions. His record in most other countries that hes played more than a handful of tests in is excellent. I still maintain that there is no better user of drift, flight and loop than vettori in world cricket at the moment, and that includes the magician Muralitharan.
Vettori > Murali? :unsure:

JBH001

International Regular
I think he means that Murali is a wrist spinning offie while Vettori is a finger spinning offie. I do have to say though that Vettori usually bowls with great loop and flight, something that I wish Murali did more of, instead of thinking up yet more ways of bowling the doosra.

Flem274*

123/5
I think we should maybe give Patel a go ahead of Vettori as Vettori is not exactly in much form ATM. Far too many no balls in the WC and Patel bowled better IMO. Then again, Vettori is probably the new skipper so Patel's test chances are'nt too likely at this stage.

Fiery

Banned
I think we should maybe give Patel a go ahead of Vettori as Vettori is not exactly in much form ATM. Far too many no balls in the WC and Patel bowled better IMO. Then again, Vettori is probably the new skipper so Patel's test chances are'nt too likely at this stage.
He wont be skipper in tests

Fiery

Banned
2 tests?

I have a bad feeling we won't play any tests in 10 years time at this rate. 2 tests is nothing.
I know what you mean but we're touring SA at the end of the year for 3 tests too I believe...and we have a 3 test series against England early next year

pup11

International Coach
Vettori is concentrating on his economy rate rather than attacking and trying to pick wickets, he is bowling too flat atm.

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I know what you mean but we're touring SA at the end of the year for 3 tests too I believe...and we have a 3 test series against England early next year
I think the SA tour is only 2 tests... :@ I know! Until NZ gets some decent tests series against good rivals like South Africa, we will always be one step behind in the test arena.

People talk about Not enough support for NZ test matches, itll only pick up support if we play more, and then get better at tests.