• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Daniel Vettori underachieving?

thierry henry

International Coach
Then doesnt that make his record more impressive? A slow left arm seamer picking up 5 fers and 6 fers all over the place!
ummm, he doesn't. And his record is dire. Indeed, for someone with over 200 wickets, history suggests it couldn't possibly be any more dire.

Flem274*

123/5
They do that for every left arm orthodox fingerspinner and right arm orthofox spinner though. People often bring up that point as if it means something, but it clearly doesn't as it applies to everyone. According to TV overlays..
Slow left arm
Off spin

It's just how it is. Don't particularly know why, but they've decided to do it like that. It has nothing to do with how much they turn the ball - for Panesar was listed as SLA and Dilshan was listed as OS.
Oops, sorry to bring up an exhausted subject.:laugh:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ummm, he doesn't. And his record is dire. Indeed, for someone with over 200 wickets, history suggests it couldn't possibly be any more dire.
Fair enough, but he has produced some excellent performances. A 6-fer in Perth springs to mind, IMO the best Test performance by a spinner in NZ history.

Flem274*

123/5
10 years, roughly 200 wivkets=20 wickets per year, hmmm. How many tests on average do we play a year? 2? 3? Not that bad a record IMO.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
How many of the above are off spin bowlers? I don't think off spin/finger spin bowlers unless they really rip the ball aka Murali are not going to have the average as a top class seamer. He also bowls alot in unfavourable conditions as our other bowler fail to make an impression.
murali is a wrist spinner

Athlai

Not Terrible
10 years, roughly 200 wivkets=20 wickets per year, hmmm. How many tests on average do we play a year? 2? 3? Not that bad a record IMO.
Hey Flem, Cricketwebs statspider is more than handy for all kinds of stats, even year by year performances. You should take a look.

thierry henry

International Coach
How many of the above are off spin bowlers? I don't think off spin/finger spin bowlers unless they really rip the ball aka Murali are not going to have the average as a top class seamer. He also bowls alot in unfavourable conditions as our other bowler fail to make an impression.
Nonsense

If conditions suit seamers, and not Vettori, generally our seamers do just fine

If conditions are batsman friendly, all our bowlers including Vettori are generally rubbish

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
Fair enough, but he has produced some excellent performances. A 6-fer in Perth springs to mind, IMO the best Test performance by a spinner in NZ history.
following on from this, the only reason he has 200 wickets is the fact hes played so many games, and the fact hes been NZ's only reall spinner for a long time (until patel) he bowl hundreds of overs! the law of averages says he must et some wickets in that time? i'd like to see what percentage of his wickets were tailenders!!

thierry henry

International Coach
following on from this, the only reason he has 200 wickets is the fact hes played so many games, and the fact hes been NZ's only reall spinner for a long time (until patel) he bowl hundreds of overs! the law of averages says he must et some wickets in that time? i'd like to see what percentage of his wickets were tailenders!!
me too tbh

Tail-enders, minnows, generally dismissed with what I like to call "unintentional arm balls"

thierry henry

International Coach
Not really, 20 wickets per year off 2 or 3 matches is 5-7 wickets per match. (I'm not gonna do the exact maths). Got any better spinners? (though Patel should get a go)
lol

we obviously don't play 2 or 3 tests a year. Fleming has played 100 tests ffs