• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
No-one is saying there is anything wrong with being a mail-order bride. Different things will offend different people, and the same things won't offend others. However, Greig's implied suggestion was that this woman was only getting married because she was a mail order bride was highly innapropriate and highly offensive to Asian women or women with Asian heritage.
...and to mail-order brides, who I'm sure would take offence to the notion of being involved in a proper, loving union.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
archie mac said:
I still can't see what was wrong with Greig comment? What is wrong with having a mail order bride? I thought it a fair question 8-)
From memory, the similarity was that Tony Grieg didn't realise his microphone was on, and that he made what many considered to be a very offensive racist remark. He made a generalisation which offended the lady concerned.

bagapath

International Captain
Sanz said:
Which one ? Ever seen Timothy Mcveigh ?
BRILLIANT POINT! Associating beards with terrorism is latent racism! Please learn to respect others' faiths. I am an atheist and it still hurts to hear people pitying Jones for getting caught with his mike on without clearly denouncing his words.

adharcric

International Coach
Dean Jones has been punished enough. He made a mistake, but I really doubt he's some anti-Muslim guy. Besides, even US government security officials nowadays are more suspicious about guys with black beards these days because there's reason to be. Jones made a silly (tactless, but then he wasn't supposed to be on air) comment which sounds rascist and got punished for it. There are plenty of people who associate guys from Islamic nations with big black beards with terrorism after what has passed over the last few years. Jones was just stupid here. Enough, get over it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
adharcric said:
even US government security officials nowadays are more suspicious about guys with black beards these days because there's reason to be.
What do you mean even?

I wouldn't use the US government as a barometer for what's right and not.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Dean Jones has been punished enough. He made a mistake, but I really doubt he's some anti-Muslim guy. Besides, even US government security officials nowadays are more suspicious about guys with black beards these days because there's reason to be. Jones made a silly (tactless, but then he wasn't supposed to be on air) comment which sounds rascist and got punished for it. There are plenty of people who associate guys from Islamic nations with big black beards with terrorism after what has passed over the last few years. Jones was just stupid here. Enough, get over it.
People have gotten over it. Infact, despite this event, I never for once thought Jones as an anti muslim or anti anything. He comes across as a pretty good guy from what one has watched/listened to him as a cricketer/commentator.

But it must be acknoledged that he made a mistake and he should have been sacked (and as it was done). There should be no justification.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
Dean Jones has been punished enough. He made a mistake, but I really doubt he's some anti-Muslim guy. Besides, even US government security officials nowadays are more suspicious about guys with black beards these days because there's reason to be. Jones made a silly (tactless, but then he wasn't supposed to be on air)]/b] comment which sounds rascist and got punished for it. There are plenty of people who associate guys from Islamic nations with big black beards with terrorism after what has passed over the last few years. Jones was just stupid here. Enough, get over it.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your post, but what is the relevance of the part I bolded above? It makes no difference whether it was meant to be on air or not, it's an offensive comment either way.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Dasa said:
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your post, but what is the relevance of the part I bolded above? It makes no difference whether it was meant to be on air or not, it's an offensive comment either way.
If ya don't like it, go back to your own country.

PY

International Coach
Buddhmaster said:
If ya don't like it, go back to your own country.
Have you worked at being an idiot or were you born that way?

I believe Dasa already is in his own country so he's as Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi as you are.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
PY said:

I believe Dasa was born in Australia the same as you so he's as Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi as you are.
:laugh: Not sure Dasa would see it like that!

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
What do you mean even?

I wouldn't use the US government as a barometer for what's right and not.
The US government is far from such a barometer. I was just saying why the common man today would have this higher expectation of a black-bearded man from an Islamic nation being a terrorist than anyone else. When it comes to law enforcement and taking security precautions, that matters sometimes. In day-to-day life, it's wrong clearly (far too many normal Muslims in the world). Deano made a mistake and made a stupid comment in public.

Last edited:

Buddhmaster

International Captain
PY said:

I believe Dasa already is in his own country so he's as Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi as you are.
If you don't go for Australia, then don't live in Australia.

And I've worked on being an idiot, while you were born a pasty white gimp :cool:

adharcric

International Coach
Dasa said:
Not very relevant indeed. Tactless because he may have meant it to be a joke, but it certainly didn't come out right.

PY

International Coach
Buddhmaster said:
If you don't go for Australia, then don't live in Australia.

And I've worked on being an idiot, while you were born a pasty white gimp :cool:
What does Jones' racist comment/joke/whatever other excuse you give it have to do with whether Dasa 'goes' for Australia? I support England football to the hilt but I still condemned Fat Ron's comments about Marcel Desailly, even though Ron is an Englishman.

And :laugh: at your attempt at an insult.