• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Chubb

International Regular
The real problem is the international schedule. England play far too often, particularly test matches. Compare with Australia. It is one of the reasons recent overseas Ashes have been so one-sided.

Would be interesting to compare the 183 day English season @Yeoman talks about with the Australian domestic schedule but I don't have the time or energy to work it out.

Midwinter

State Captain
Good point by Chubb

Perhaps Root would be in favour of reducing international matches.

Of course we are sure that Root and and his collegues would would agree with a proportional reduction in income due to less playing time.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
The real problem is the international schedule. England play far too often, particularly test matches. Compare with Australia. It is one of the reasons recent overseas Ashes have been so one-sided.

Would be interesting to compare the 183 day English season @Yeoman talks about with the Australian domestic schedule but I don't have the time or energy to work it out.
The last Australian domestic season ran for 205 days (24th September to 25th March). A player who played in all of his state and big bash team’s games but did not reach any knockout stages would play on 57 days (40 first class, 7 one day, 10 T20). He would therefore play on 28% of days in the season.

An English equivalent would play on 78 days, so a more intensive schedule, playing on 43% of available days. This workload is lessened slightly if we assume that our player plays in the hundred rather than the One Day Cup.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
To give some historical perspective, an equivalent player in past seasons would have played:

2010: 92 days plated on out of a 162 day season (57%)
1988: 94 out of 119 (79%)
1958: 84 out of 115 (73%)
1927: 84 out of 123 (68%)

This excludes any tourist or university matches.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Joe Root won't have known what it has meant to play a full domestic season (i.e. no internationals) since 2012. I do think that the number of games that England play is too much. They would have gone from the Ashes last year, to ODI warm ups then the world cup and not much of a turnaround until the India tour. Sure they get a few months off, but that is only because the IPL is 2 months long. England will then have the t20 world cup and then the summer programme. That's a lot of cricket internationally. That said, Root doesn't play International t20s.

chris.hinton

International Captain
The last Australian domestic season ran for 205 days (24th September to 25th March). A player who played in all of his state and big bash team’s games but did not reach any knockout stages would play on 57 days (40 first class, 7 one day, 10 T20). He would therefore play on 28% of days in the season.

An English equivalent would play on 78 days, so a more intensive schedule, playing on 43% of available days. This workload is lessened slightly if we assume that our player plays in the hundred rather than the One Day Cup.
How many State players play Grade Cricket, I would assume its more than County Players playing Club Cricket

chris.hinton

International Captain
An ideal fixture list?

County Championship of 6 (10 matches), with 2nd Tier of 2 groups of 6 (Play each other once plus bonus match) - 12 Matches. This would cut 8-16 days straight away.

Also Make the one day cup into smaller groups have some Minor Countries take part (24 teams, 6 groups of 4) - 5 matches (4 days lost)

T20. 3 Groups of 6? - 10 matches (4 days lost) Abolish QFs?

So it would be between 16-24 days kept for the players. And if you play everything its 57 days played and 61 at the most?

FBU

International Debutant
Everytime this chat happens from players or those in the game.

They never actually say how they will do it in the media. Almost like afraid of the fans backlash.

If Root/Mitchell came out and said we want to play this many CC,Blast and One Day Cup games as much as I disagree with them I'd least respect them giving a proper opinion.

This is just pointless pathetic soundbites. Offer an alternative or shut up and play cricket.
Does he also want reduced money?
Sussex top of Div 2 and Robinson has hardly been a factor so far. Seales has been great, but all the team are chipping in. Feels like this could be a decent season.
England hopefuls
Atkinson 64.0 overs 9 wickets at 20.88
Fisher 97.0 overs 9 wickets at 37.33
Robinson 94 overs 8 wickets at 37.50
Potts 84.3 overs 6 wickets at 48.16
Stone 23.0 overs 1 wicket at 74.00

Molehill

International Captain
England hopefuls
Atkinson 64.0 overs 9 wickets at 20.88
Fisher 97.0 overs 9 wickets at 37.33
Robinson 94 overs 8 wickets at 37.50
Potts 84.3 overs 6 wickets at 48.16
Stone 23.0 overs 1 wicket at 74.00
Seales has 18 wickets at 21 from one game more than Robinson (although that was a Kookaburra game) for direct comparison.

I know it's not been easy for seamers, but Atkinson's stats are miles ahead of everyone else's. I wonder if that will be considered come First Test time (which is admittedly still a long way away).

Reactions: FBU

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Seales has 18 wickets at 21 from one game more than Robinson (although that was a Kookaburra game) for direct comparison.

I know it's not been easy for seamers, but Atkinson's stats are miles ahead of everyone else's. I wonder if that will be considered come First Test time (which is admittedly still a long way away).
Seales hasn't even played for the Windies for a while. I would assume that he must have had injury issues?

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
To give some historical perspective, an equivalent player in past seasons would have played:

2010: 92 days plated on out of a 162 day season (57%)
1988: 94 out of 119 (79%)
1958: 84 out of 115 (73%)
1927: 84 out of 123 (68%)

This excludes any tourist or university matches.
Looking at the leading FC averages: Sutcliffe, Holmes and Hendren all played 35 matches in 1927.

Molehill

International Captain
Seales hasn't even played for the Windies for a while. I would assume that he must have had injury issues?
He was due to play for Sussex in 2023 but a knee injury stopped him. I think he's only signed up to the first 3 months of the season in 2024 (Sussex have Unadkat lined up for second half) so likely to be in Windies squad. On this form, he will clearly pose a big threat.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Looking at the leading FC averages: Sutcliffe, Holmes and Hendren all played 35 matches in 1927.
Some players would have played more as there were university, tourist, festival and multiple gents v players matches outside the championship. My ‘representative player’ for comparative purposes was assumed to play only the full championship and nothing else.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
He was due to play for Sussex in 2023 but a knee injury stopped him. I think he's only signed up to the first 3 months of the season in 2024 (Sussex have Unadkat lined up for second half) so likely to be in Windies squad. On this form, he will clearly pose a big threat.
Yeah, I would have thought so. Windies could potentially field a handy pace attack, although I suspect their batting will be rather vulnerable. They have it in them to win a test over here, I would have thought given that the last two home series have been 2-1.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Not playing them on grounds of principle must feel much better than not playing them on economic grounds.