• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023-24 Australian domestic cricket season

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would imagine Matt Short, Tom Rogers and Marcus Harris would be the set top 3 for the 50-over side. Sam Harper has been doing the job for them occasionally too.

All it takes is for 1 of them to be out (Short should play most white-ball for Aus) and I can see Brown slotting in there. Vics lost Maddinson too and Pucovski presumably won't play.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would imagine Matt Short, Tom Rogers and Marcus Harris would be the set top 3 for the 50-over side. Sam Harper has been doing the job for them occasionally too.

All it takes is for 1 of them to be out (Short should play most white-ball for Aus) and I can see Brown slotting in there. Vics lost Maddinson too and Pucovski presumably won't play.
Brown really isn’t very good at anything other than t20 these days and nor does he aspire to be

Basically another Tim David

Starfighter

South Australia contracts were out a couple of days ago:

Wes Agar, Jordan Buckingham, Alex Carey*, Harry Conway, Brendan Doggett, Daniel Drew, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Mackenzie Harvey, Travis Head*, Henry Hunt, Spencer Johnson, Thomas Kelly, Jake Lehmann, Ben Manenti, Nathan McAndrew, Conor McInerney, Nathan McSweeney, Harry Nielsen, Lloyd Pope, Jason Sangha, Liam Scott, Henry Thornton.
Rookies: Kyle Brazell, Aidan Cahill, Harry Matthias, Campbell Thompson

In: Mackenzie Harvey, Conor McInerney, Jason Sangha, Campbell Thompson

Out: Jake Carder, David Grant, Isaac Higgins, Kelvin Smith

Batting still looks weak as heck with Head and Carey presumably being absent most of the time.

Starfighter

And apparently NSW also announced theirs:

Sean Abbott*, Jackson Bird, Pat Cummins*, Oliver Davies, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Matt Gilkes, Chris Green, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Liam Hatcher, Josh Hazlewood*, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Hayden Kerr, Sam Konstas, Nathan Lyon*, Nic Maddinson, Blake Nikitaras, Jack Nisbet, Kurtis Patterson, Josh Philippe, Tanveer Sangha, Steve Smith*, Mitchell Starc*, Chris Tremain, Adam Zampa*.
Rookies: Charlie Anderson, Joel Davies, Ryan Hicks, Will Salzmann, Lachlan Shaw

Ins: Nic Maddinson (Vic), Josh Philippe (WA), Sam Konstas.

Outs: Baxter Holt (WA), Blake MacDonald, Ross Pawson, Jason Sangha (SA), David Warner*

morgieb

Not sure he's particularly good, but I think Macdonald was unlucky to not get a contract over Hackney and Nikitaras (even though I think the latter might be OK if he wasn't playing on minefields 24/7)

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
I'm thinking if Pucovski ever plays again he should be made to wear an NFL "Guardian Cap" helmet. I read it's proven to cut down concussions by 50% in lower grades and it's just been approved to use in NFL games (was mandated in training last year)

Attachments

social

Helmets don’t stop concussions

They’re designed to prevent skull fractures & serious brain trauma but can’t stop brain rattling around in your noggin

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Helmets don’t stop concussions

They’re designed to prevent skull fractures & serious brain trauma but can’t stop brain rattling around in your noggin
I mean the whole purpose of the new NFL Guardian Cap shown above is to reduce concussion (reports claim by 50% over a normal NFL helmet)

50% reduction still wouldn't be enough for Pucovski though 😞

social

I mean the whole purpose of the new NFL Guardian Cap shown above is to reduce concussion (reports claim by 50% over a normal NFL helmet)

50% reduction still wouldn't be enough for Pucovski though 😞
American football is a fkd up sport where they literally lead with their head

Apart from the injury risk to both players (duh!), they would be more effective if they simply learned how to tackle

Pucovski is obviously a sad case where you have to assume he’s done even if it were possible to bat in a bubble

Spark

Global Moderator
American football is a fkd up sport where they literally lead with their head

Apart from the injury risk to both players (duh!), they would be more effective if they simply learned how to tackle

Pucovski is obviously a sad case where you have to assume he’s done even if it were possible to bat in a bubble
That doesn't change anything about his point though. This is a different helmet design and there is some evidence it works (the design itself makes sense in that regard), although I am sceptical about it being as high as 50%. More like 20%, maybe.

The idea that nothing can be done with regards to helmet design to reduce concussion has been a pernicious myth spread by too many to justify the total lack of innovation in that space (at least, in cricket).

TheJediBrah

Social knows thanks to his friend in Queensland coaching that new helmets designed to stop concussion don't stop concussions

Starfighter

Victoria have finally put up their contracts:

Liam Blackford, Scott Boland*, Dylan Brasher, Josh Brown, Ashley Chandrasinghe, Xavier Crone, Sam Elliott, Peter Handscomb, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Campbell Kellaway, Glenn Maxwell*, Cameron McClure, Jonathan Merlo, Todd Murphy*, Fergus O’Neill, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski**, Tom Rogers, Matt Short, Peter Siddle, Will Sutherland, Douglas Warren

Rookies: Austin Anlezark, Harry Dixon, Jai Lemire, Reiley Mark, Tyler Pearson

** Pending medical advice

In: Josh Brown (QLD)
Rookies upgraded to full contracts: Liam Blackford, Dylan Brasher, Douglas Warren
Out: Travis Dean, Matt Fotia, Nic Maddinson (NSW), Tom O’Donnell, Wil Parker (AFL)

Spark

Global Moderator
I was told that it wasn't going to happen but it still makes me a little disappointed that Oliver Peake isn't there as a rookie. Of all the Aus batsmen at the U19 WC he actually looked the best of them.

morgieb

I was told that it wasn't going to happen but it still makes me a little disappointed that Oliver Peake isn't there as a rookie. Of all the Aus batsmen at the U19 WC he actually looked the best of them.
Honestly with no Maddinson and likely no Pucovski I would've thought long and hard about starting the season with him. Had dominated Vic Premier Cricket, for example.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly with no Maddinson and likely no Pucovski I would've thought long and hard about starting the season with him. Had dominated Vic Premier Cricket, for example.
What I was told is that he's focussed on finishing school this year, and we won't see him at state level until next year even though he's probably already good enough.