• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You're Team Selector - post your team XI

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Roy Bairstow Root Brook Stokes Buttler Ali Curran Wood Rashid Archer

This is the England XI that I predict will play the opening game.
Brook isn't in the world cup squad, is he? Didn't get picked in the 15 man NZ squad from what I saw and thats likely to be the WC squad barring injury.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Livingstone could play no.6 , however, he really hasn't done anything for england in any format apart from that one t20 ton vs pakistan.
His bowling seems to be valued alot. Even then, rashid, moeen and root should be enough

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Netherlands XI

1.Max O'Dowd
2.Vikramjit Singh
3.Tom Cooper
4.Colin Ackermann
5.Teja Nidamanuru
6.Scott Edwards (WK)
7.Bas De Leede
8.Roleof Van Der Merwe
9.Logan Van Beek
10.Paul Van Meekeren
11.Shariz Ahmad

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
PAKISTAN

Rizwan*
Fakhar
Babar
Saud**
Iftikhar 7
Agha 6
Shadab 4
Wasim Jnr/Nawaz/Faheem 5
Shaheen 1
Naseem 2
Haris Rauf 3

* Imam is universal FTB. Rizwan has largely failed in MO, he should be tried as an opener, he open in T20Is too.
** Saud's SR is less, but he plays spin better than all other batters in PCT so he is a must on spinning tracks. Otherwise, I would play Iftikhar at 4 as he averages highest in our List A bar Babar & M. Haris at 5 who would provide finishing touch, he is not Butler but we don't have anyone else.
*** Micky rates Faheem as batting A/R in LOIs but his memorable performances with the bat are in Tests. Wasim Jnr has higher ceiling in LOIs.

Last edited:

Scoop_Shot

Cricket Spectator
PAKISTAN

Rizwan*
Fakhar
Babar
Saud**
Iftikhar 7
Agha 6
Shadab 4
Wasim Jnr/Nawaz/Faheem 5
Shaheen 1
Naseem 2
Haris Rauf 3

* Imam is universal FTB. Rizwan has largely failed in MO, he should be tried as an opener, he open in T20Is too.
** Saud's SR is less, but he plays spin better than all other batters in PCT so he is a must on spinning tracks. Otherwise, I would play Iftikhar at 4 as he averages highest in our List A bar Babar & M. Haris at 5 who would provide finishing touch, he is not Butler but we don't have anyone else.
*** Micky rates Faheem as batting A/R in LOIs but his memorable performances with the bat are in Tests. Wasim Jnr has higher ceiling in LOIs.
what would a fast bowling all rounder be of use in India Shaheen is more of an allrounder then him.imam has an average of 51 in odi.salman Ali Agha is the best spin player in pakistan he has a better strike rate and can anchor and hit sixes

Scoop_Shot

Cricket Spectator
imam has been in good form in the nz odi's Saud is way to slow for odi.
In an ideal world, Kamran Ghulam should have been groomed by now for the LOI formats and he could have been a perfect backup for our middle order all round option. Or at least Khushdil shouldn't have been dropped in this format.

But then Shan Masood who we have been persisting with in T20s and Tests and someone who has recently done good for the team in those two formats esp wrt strike rate, has been dropped from the format in which he has a stellar domestic record and has always been his stronger suite.

You see there is just no clear template for this team on which they work to recruit players and groom them in specific roles for the team. For example, . doesn't matter what specific role our team requires because we don't have a team vision and haven't defined any template.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Most likely, the squad chosen for Asia cup will be the squad for World Cup with 2 guys cut off. So from that squad, below is my XI to start the WC.

Rohit
Gill
Kohli
Iyer
Tilak Verma
Hardik
Jadeja
Thakur
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj

Reserves
Shami
Axar
Kishan
SKY

Dropped: KL Rahul, Prasidh. Really hoping that KL is not 100% fit come WC time

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Most likely, the squad chosen for Asia cup will be the squad for World Cup with 2 guys cut off. So from that squad, below is my XI to start the WC.

Rohit
Gill
Kohli
Iyer
Tilak Verma
Hardik
Jadeja
Thakur
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj

Reserves
Shami
Axar
Kishan
SKY

Dropped: KL Rahul, Prasidh. Really hoping that KL is not 100% fit come WC time
Kohli keeping?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know Rahul is frustrating and it's fashionable to hate on him, but SKY's ODI record is absolutely putrid and he neither keeps nor bowls. Rahul for all the KLPD memes he averages 45+, can either open or bat in the middle order and doubles as a reserve keeper. He's a much better squad utility option than SKY.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ha ha that's a bad miss. Kishan for Tilak then. But considering this, I am afraid they'll take KL into the team too and make him keep for team balance.
I'd think about bringing Kishan in for Thakur there instead but it's definitely a bit risky, it might depend on how well Hardik is bowling. Verma's probably an acceptable sixth bowling option but having both Jadeja and Hardik in the first five is more of a problem. Thakur in white ball cricket doesn't exactly inspire confidence either but he might be needed for balance because none of the other quicks can bat. Why isn't Chahar in the wider squad? Just out of favour?

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Looks like the best possible XI we can get based on the selections so far is -

Rohit
Ishan (wk)
Gill
Virat
Tilak
Hardik
Jaddu
Lord
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj

Reserves being -

Shreyas
Rahul/Samson (if Rahul is not fit)
Shami/Prasidh
Axar

Not a great 15 but I think the first 11 is reasonable enough, esp. if Tilak can start delivering with both bat and ball.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looks like the best possible XI we can get based on the selections so far is -

Rohit
Ishan (wk)
Gill
Virat
Tilak
Hardik
Jaddu
Lord
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj

Reserves being -

Gill
Shreyas/Rahul (whomever is fitter)
Shami/Prasidh
Axar

Not a great 15 but I think the first 11 is reasonable enough, esp. if Tilak can start delivering with both bat and ball.
You've got Gill in there twice. Rahul should probably be that spare bat/backup keeper.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You've got Gill in there twice. Rahul should probably be that spare bat/backup keeper.
Ah yes... will correct now. Think both Shreyas and Rahul will make it to the 15 if they are fit, but hopefully not quite first XI. There is a chance that they play Shreyas at 4 ahead of Gill at 3 though.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Where are people getting the idea that Tilak is a good 6th bowler? He has bowled very rarely in T20s and has 3 wickets in 54 T20 matches, let alone T20is in which he has bowled only 2 overs in total in 7 matches.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Where are people getting the idea that Tilak is a good 6th bowler? He has bowled very rarely in T20s and has 3 wickets in 54 T20 matches, let alone T20is in which he has bowled only 2 overs in total in 7 matches.
Well he wouldn't be good, but I don't think the sixth bowler has to be good. Just has to exist as an option without bowling fithly long hops or full tosses really.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well he wouldn't be good, but I don't think the sixth bowler has to be good. Just has to exist as an option without bowling fithly long hops or full tosses really.
Disagree.
NZ should've won the last tournament and would've been due to the having by far the best 5th and 6th bowlers (CDG and Neesham).