• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
This evening I wandered up to the County Ground for 6.00 to do an hour's coaching with the Exeter CC Colts "Foundation Group" - i.e. late starters (Ashes effect) who need a concerted shove in the right direction.

When I arrived, I found out our Midweek XI had seven players for their game with Bradninch and if I could stick around post-coaching to field, that'd be much appreciated. Anyhow, post-coaching, our midweek VII had made 121-3, and the eight men (five first teamers including Mark Sanders and Will Hanson, two second teamers and me) had twenty overs to defend it.

It didn't help that Bradninch's batting order - like it had been a week and a half ago when the University 4ths visited their place - was left/right/left, and the fact that the County Ground is the third biggest playing surface in the country (after the County Ground, Derby and The Oval) also made the fielding pretty frenetic. Nevertheless, Bradninch were all out for 116 in 19.4 overs, and my fielding was error-free. I even managed a throw from the boundary on the bounce to the keeper, and I have the arm of a ten year old... A general feeling of satisfaction is persisting as, seeing as I was wearing navy blue trousers, I was thoroughly expecting to be targeted in the field... and I wasn't. So I must have got on alright.
I didn't know they were allowed to perform those type of operations in England!?

chris.hinton

International Captain
I played last week on both saturday and sunday and i batted 1o on sat and got 1 10 on sunand got 3........ and bowled 3 overs of dross on sunday.... oh well maybe this weekend :)

as a club we are top Division three of the Warwickshire league www.warcl.org.uk in both 1st and 2ndxis.... The club is in decent shape but i like to see more youngsters in the twos and not the three but i shaw it will happen over time

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
chris.hinton said:
I played last week on both saturday and sunday and i batted 1o on sat and got 1 10 on sunand got 3........ and bowled 3 overs of dross on sunday.... oh well maybe this weekend :)

as a club we are top Division three of the Warwickshire league www.warcl.org.uk in both 1st and 2ndxis.... The club is in decent shape but i like to see more youngsters in the twos and not the three but i shaw it will happen over time
Wow

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
chris.hinton said:

Did your team play Sutton recently?
I remember reading in the paper that the seconds played Erdington Court and someone called Steve Hinton got a couple of wickets.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
played a nice team today(not) as a lunch we had cake...really nice.(not)
anyway they were 40/6..they made 150 in the end :/
we got we 151 for 8.
I bowled oke 2/19 in 8.
when batting it was soo dark, that i havnt seen the ball...still managed 3 haha

BigRob

Cricket Spectator
Well we are top of the Somerset League Div 4 Most points out of any side in any league but as we were relegated last year we want and expect to be promoted.

Numbers 2 and 3 put on 130 but we only managed 212 Wicket was more difficult with older ball. Did my usual upping the tempo in the last few overs :laugh: scampering plenty of quick singles and annoying fielders!! Bowled by one that didnt bounce.

They got of to a screamer. Opener hitting the ball everywhere. All in the air though and his luck ran out after 4 overs with him on 30 odd. Middle of their innings plodded on seemingly dawdling to a win for us but they kept going and at 8 or so an over managed to get it down to 35 odd off 4 with 4 wickets in hand. I took two catches - one a beauty running backwards over my shoulder and one a simple dolly.

Muggins here gets to bowl 42nd and 44th overs. Due to elbow injury no longer bowling fast (did I ever?) but now slow crap nothingness using my brain to out think the bat. First bowl in league this season nerves aplenty. First over goes for 9 not too bad. We got their opener out in the next over so 2 overs to go 21 to win and 3 wickets left.

Faster Yorker to bowler who had just been told to have a whack Bowled
Scampered a single to get batsman' down the right end. One
Hits me dead straight and long on and off conspire to get in each others way. Ball trickles over boundary. Four. BLAST
Slightly slower. hits me again straight surely only a single. Big bowler slow to turn around but they run. OK throw and I dismantle the stumps to run out despite dispairing dive!!

So 8 balls to go 2 in my over batsman facing rabbit at the other end 15 to win. I reckon he is going to try and hit me straight again a shot he played very well so faster shorter ball hoping for a skier and he 'punts' it (baseball term I think) about 4 yards and sets off like a whippet shouting yes. I set off like an old spaniel and arrive at the stumps with the ball to find the two batsmen at the other end beginnning to walk off the opitch. Knock a bail off anbd we won!!

Two tight finishes in two games and we won them both. Last weeks was destroyed by extreme unsportsmanship behaviour from other side so this one left a much nicer feeling in the mouth but wow those end of games nerves get no better!!! :laugh: :laugh:

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
School practice today, looks like this could be the first time we put a proper team out since I've been there. :)

Team's not bad, lack of bowling depth though. Our first match is first week after half time, and as I'm not keeping there's a decent chance I'm the frontline spinner, which shows how little depth there is.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashes effect! This is what the Exeter Express and Echo thinks of the "Freddie Factor"...

I got ten overs in at Blundell's School today before it hammered it down as I was about to bring myself on to bowl. Is God trying to tell me something?

Meanwhile, Exeter St James continued their mission of inflicting suffering upon me at any possible opportunity. Our under 12s imploded from 14/0 to 31/8 as nine-year-old Tom (this kid is going to be very good) returned the moderately acceptable figures of 4-3-1-5. He's on nineteen for 2006 so far... that's five more than I've got, ever.

Chubb

International Regular
Neil, did you see- Upottery U11s won a match! The kids beat Seaton, kept em down to 55 and then they knocked them off. I think it's the first time. They must be very proud. Don't know what happened to the U15 section though.

In other news, I am about to follow you as the second cricketwebber to appear on University Challenge. 12th of June is the recording date. Should be fun.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chubb said:
Neil, did you see- Upottery U11s won a match! The kids beat Seaton, kept em down to 55 and then they knocked them off. I think it's the first time. They must be very proud. Don't know what happened to the U15 section though.

In other news, I am about to follow you as the second cricketwebber to appear on University Challenge. 12th of June is the recording date. Should be fun.
I did notice that - great effort. Unfortunately we won't play them this season as there are so many teams the league has had to split into East/West divisions at U11, U13 and U15.

Congrats on UC qualification - just enjoy it mate :) Spookily, my recording date was 12 June, too!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Chubb said:
I'll give you £50 if you can beat Neil's record for the most times someone has used the word "son" in 30 minutes worth of television. ;)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
30 minutes?!? Try 30 seconds. :laugh:
I'm not sure Chubb would be able to manage that one. I tried to make it more realistic by giving him the longer of the two records.

Although, on second thoughts, I've got 50 quid riding on it. 30 seconds it is

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
no he's doing nothing overthere..just staying fit...drinking. :P
h
played for the 3rds yesterday..I was told, this year you might not bowl much...
hmm oke I said...yesterday i bowled 10 straight....2/31 in 10
they dropped 5 catches :(