• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Countrys Second XI

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes I'd be a tad worried about the batting in that line-up, but the bowling attack is worthy of Test cricket. Think I'd add the extra batsman in place of Woakes, which would leave me without a recognised number eight, but would rely on my top seven to score heavily enough, because the four bowlers should all be in for their bowling alone, and in Patel and Bopara there are useful bowling alternatives.

Think my batsman would be James Hildreth.
Yes, that line up definitely is a bit light in the batting department and I'd be tempted to leave Woakes in and bring a batsman in for Onions instead. Out of the batsmen to bring in, like you say Hildreth would be a good choice or someone like Compton who had a good year and has impressed me recently, I'd put the extra batsman in the 5 spot and drop everyone down a place so Woakes would become the No8.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes, that line up definitely is a bit light in the batting department and I'd be tempted to leave Woakes in and bring a batsman in for Onions instead. Out of the batsmen to bring in, like you say Hildreth would be a good choice or someone like Compton who had a good year and has impressed me recently, I'd put the extra batsman in the 5 spot and drop everyone down a place so Woakes would become the No8.
I'm a big Onions fan and think him and Tremlett would be the first two bowlers in my team. Yes Woakes makes a better number eight with the bat and may develop into a decent number seven, but I'd like to see my best bowlers in the side, if I couldn't separate the bowlers then I'd agree in leaving Woakes in for the added batting he'd give. But I'd go with the four best bowlers, which imo, is Tremlett, Onions, and Finn for the quicks and Panesar as a spinner.

On the batting line-up, think I'd go with Hildreth at three and drop everyone down a place. Yes Compton's had an excellent season, in all formats, but I'd like to see him maintain that form for a while longer yet before I consider him for playing at this level.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say that's a test-class attack and have seen far worse one represent England over the years. Looks a wee bit light on batting & has a tail like a rat tho. Patel, Davies, Woakes and Tremmers all a spot too high in my estimation.

Might be tempted to bring in another bat (Roy, Maynard, Bairstow or Buttler would be next in line using the Loins' squad) for Onions (Woakes's superior batting carries the day) or Borthwick for Monty.
Agree. Would probably go with:

Michael Carberry
Alex Hales
Ravi Bopara
James Taylor
James Hildreth
Samit Patel
Steve Davies
Chris Woakes
Chris Tremlett
Steven Finn
Monty Panesar

Would happily bring in Bairstow for Hildreth or Patel.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Glenn Querl- weird action, but can swing the ball.

Tendai Chatara- Pacy bowler. He's probably the quickest in the country.

Donald Tiripano- haven't seen much of him, but he's been impressive for his franchise.

Shingi Masakadza- I'm sure you've seen him before, but he's really improved. Should be selected for the T20s.

Ian Nicolson- Had a poor start to his international career, but Gillespie has been working hard with him.
Other players worth mentioning are Mike Chinouya, Njabulo Ncube, Nathan Waller, LT Gumunyu-Manatsa.

I would've loved to have given a bit more details and links of these players' most recent performances, but we haven't had electricity for THREE days in my area and my low memory phone(which I'm using now) is the only device which is still working in my house! That's Zimbabwe for you!
No mention of Meth is criminal, although he's arguably not considered a "pace" bowler I guess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is Tremlett in all these second elevens? I thought he was in the firsts and Bresnan missed out?
Tremlett's a better bowler than Bresnan IMO but they've performed to very similar standards at Test level and Bresnan's ability to actually fit for near enough every match and bat to almost #7 standard would get him the gig at the moment I reckon.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I think when people have Bresnan in their starting line ups their thinking about the UAE where Bresnan's reverse swing would be more useful than Tremlett's bounce. Also Bresnan came in and did such a good job it's pretty hard to drop him, even though it's hard on Tremlett.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bresnan getting dropped after his Ashes and 2011 summer would be a move fresh out of 1993. It'd be madness. The fact that they're playing in the UAE just seals the deal.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Abhinav Mukund
Ajinkya Rahane
Manoj Tiwary
Virat Kohli*
Subrahmanian Badrinath
Yuvraj Singh
Wriddhiman Saha+
Irfan Pathan
Praveen Kumar
Vinay Kumar
Pragyan Ojha

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While Praveen most definitely would be, seems as though Weldone has opted for Rohit Sharma for the 1st XI.. Would probably have Pujara ahead of Yuvraj in that team too,