• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Countrys Second XI

Mike5181

International Captain
New Zealand
1. Jamie How (c)
2. BJ Watling
3. Matthew Sinclair
4. Daniel Flynn
5. Neil Broom
6. Dean Brownlie
7. James Franklin
8. Gareth Hopkins (wk)
9. Kyle Mills
10. Daryl Tuffey
11. Jeetan Patel

12th Man- Michael Mason

Not a bad team tbh

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Australia
1. P.Jaques
2. P.Hughes
3. U.Khuwaja
4. C.White (c)
5. D.Hussey
6. M.North
7. T.Paine (wk)
8. O'Keefe
9. D.Bollinger
10. B.Hilfenhaus
11. S.Clark

12th Man- Andrew McDonald.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Assuming the firsts roll up as Mac, Mac, Guppy, Taylor, Ryder, Williamson, Vettori, Young, Southee, McKay, Martin....

I'd select (players I've seen play, so guys like Wells miss out:()

Jamie How
BJ Watling/Peter Ingram/Craig Cumming/Aaron Redmond/Anybody really
Mathew Sinclair
Neil Broom
Tim Weston
James Franklin
Kruger van Wyk
Todd Astle
Michael Mason
Trent Boult
Brent Arnel

Okay, I only saw Astle for two overs, but he looks the goods and has the FC bowling stats over the last season and a half to prove it. Ironically I think his batting stats have gotten more consistent since he converted to a leggie. Seems to get regular 20s, 30s, 40s in FC now.
If we keep the same team as the first test in Brisbane, I'm going to guess the selectors think it is...

BJ Watling
Rob Nicol
Daniel Flynn
Neil Broom
James Franklin
Luke Woodcock
Derek de Boorder
Adam Milne
Trent Boult
Andy McKay
Brent Arnel

Long tail, but an all right side. I would go with something similar if the Black Caps died in a car crash tomorrow.

BJ Watling
Stephen Murdoch*
Daniel Flynn
Mathew Sinclair
Neil Broom
Sam Wells*
The Best Pure Keeper*
Ben Wheeler*
Adam Milne
Trent Boult
Matt Henry*

*have seen nothing/sfa of, and going off of stats/reports from watchers/personal bias

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Pak Test Second XI

Umar Amin
Ahmad Shehzad
Fawad Alam
Hasan Raza (c)
Usman Salahuddin
Umar Akmal
Sarfraz Ahmad (wk)
Raza Hasan
Wahab Riaz
Sadaf Hussain
Mohammad Talha

Howe_zat

Audio File
Selectors'' 2nd team, judging by the squads announced this week

Michael Carberry
Alex Hales
Ravi Bopara
James Taylor
Samit Patel
Steve Davies
Chris Woakes
Chris Tremlett
Steven Finn
Graham Onions
Monty Panesar

"1st-XI-randomly-died-and-there's-a-test-tomorrow" 2nd team would probably have Ramps instead of Patel, Keedy ahead of Monty and maybe Chappell in for one of the seamers to help with the balance. Foster might fancy his chances too.

Last edited:

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sorry SL doesn't have a second XI of any acceptable standard. Maybe you can say the same thing for the first XI as well...

Ruckus

International Captain
Assuming Harris, Pattinson and Cummins are the fast bowlers:

Cowen
Rogers
Khawaja
Dussey
Katich
Hughes
Wade
O'Keefe
Siddle
Butterworth/Copeland
Bollinger

Would give our A team a pretty good run for their money.

Last edited:

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
Zimbabwe:
1. Raza-Butt
2. Gavin Ewing(c)
3. Kevin Kasuza
4. Craig Ervine
5. Forster Mtizwa
6. Regis Chakabva+
7. Elton Chi'mbura
8. Graeme Cremer
9. Shingi Masakadza
10. Glenn Querl
11. Tendai Chatara
12. Nathan Waller

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Zimbabwe:
1. Raza-Butt
2. Gavin Ewing(c)
3. Kevin Kasuza
4. Craig Ervine
5. Forster Mtizwa
6. Regis Chakabva+
7. Elton Chi'mbura
8. Graeme Cremer
9. Shingi Masakadza
10. Glenn Querl
11. Tendai Chatara
12. Nathan Waller
Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to your company in the Zimbos NZ thread in January. Zimbos have a good chance at a draw as the game is in Napier.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Abhinav Mukund
Murali Vijay
Ajinkya Rahane
Rohit Sharma
Subramanhiam Badrinath
Manoj Tiwary
Parthiv Patel
Harbhajan Singh
Varun Aaron
Sreesanth
Abu Nechim

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to your company in the Zimbos NZ thread in January. Zimbos have a good chance at a draw as the game is in Napier.
A draw will be good, but highly unlikely. A green top and an all out seam attack should be enough to blow Zimbabwe away.

Flem274*

123/5
If it's not swinging at Napier, you're a bit ****ed.

Zimbabwe have a good chance of putting up a nice score. Winning the test will be a tough ask for both sides.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Selectors'' 2nd team, judging by the squads announced this week

Michael Carberry
Alex Hales
Ravi Bopara
James Taylor
Samit Patel
Steve Davies
Chris Woakes
Chris Tremlett
Steven Finn
Graham Onions
Monty Panesar

"1st-XI-randomly-died-and-there's-a-test-tomorrow" 2nd team would probably have Ramps instead of Patel, Keedy ahead of Monty and maybe Chappell in for one of the seamers to help with the balance. Foster might fancy his chances too.
I'd say that's a test-class attack and have seen far worse one represent England over the years. Looks a wee bit light on batting & has a tail like a rat tho. Patel, Davies, Woakes and Tremmers all a spot too high in my estimation.

Might be tempted to bring in another bat (Roy, Maynard, Bairstow or Buttler would be next in line using the Loins' squad) for Onions (Woakes's superior batting carries the day) or Borthwick for Monty.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming Warner/Watson/Marsh/Ponting/Clarke/Hussey/Haddin/Harris/Pattinson/Siddle/Lyon/Cummins all went and died in random circumstances the day before a test match, I'd select:

Ed Cowan
Simon Katich
Usman Khawaja
Chris Lynn
Nic Maddinson
David Hussey
Matthew Wade
Mitch Marsh
Nathan Hauritz
Trent Copeland
Doug Bollinger

SoK unlucky to miss out, as Katich/Lynn/Hussey can fill the 2nd spinner role.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
Nigel, apart from Vittori, Jarvis and Mpofu, what other good pace prospects do you guys have?
Glenn Querl- weird action, but can swing the ball.

Tendai Chatara- Pacy bowler. He's probably the quickest in the country.

Donald Tiripano- haven't seen much of him, but he's been impressive for his franchise.

Shingi Masakadza- I'm sure you've seen him before, but he's really improved. Should be selected for the T20s.

Ian Nicolson- Had a poor start to his international career, but Gillespie has been working hard with him.
Other players worth mentioning are Mike Chinouya, Njabulo Ncube, Nathan Waller, LT Gumunyu-Manatsa.

I would've loved to have given a bit more details and links of these players' most recent performances, but we haven't had electricity for THREE days in my area and my low memory phone(which I'm using now) is the only device which is still working in my house! That's Zimbabwe for you!

Woodster

International Captain
I'd say that's a test-class attack and have seen far worse one represent England over the years. Looks a wee bit light on batting & has a tail like a rat tho. Patel, Davies, Woakes and Tremmers all a spot too high in my estimation.

Might be tempted to bring in another bat (Roy, Maynard, Bairstow or Buttler would be next in line using the Loins' squad) for Onions (Woakes's superior batting carries the day) or Borthwick for Monty.
Yes I'd be a tad worried about the batting in that line-up, but the bowling attack is worthy of Test cricket. Think I'd add the extra batsman in place of Woakes, which would leave me without a recognised number eight, but would rely on my top seven to score heavily enough, because the four bowlers should all be in for their bowling alone, and in Patel and Bopara there are useful bowling alternatives.

Think my batsman would be James Hildreth.