• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Young players who failed to realise their potential

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Harmison. In 2005-06 you'd have sworn he could've been England's best ever fast bowler (before Anderson's comeback). Instead it all just fell away.
Was probably a bit earlier than that (the Windies tour of 2004 Harmy's zenith, IMHO) but good shout.

I'm just hoping we're not soon adding Jofra to the list too. He's 29 now, which is no spring chicken in quicks' terms.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Was probably a bit earlier than that (the Windies tour of 2004 Harmy's zenith, IMHO) but good shout.

I'm just hoping we're not soon adding Jofra to the list too. He's 29 now, which is no spring chicken in quicks' terms.
I blame Root for him in terms of test matches. Ruined him in New Zealand with the most brain dead of capataincy that you could ever imagine for a fast bowler. That said, he's still had a fine limited overs career.

Brook's side

International 12th Man
Mark Lathwell?
I think that was just more a case of being hugely over-hyped.

Of those I've not seen mentioned:
Partly due to his tragic death, but Ben Hollioake.

Could possibly say Atherton, possibly due to his back.
Gus Fraser (side).
Chris Lewis (wouldn't like to speculate).
Tom Banton. Goodness knows.

At a push: David Gower (discipline). Ian Botham (back).
Flintoff.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Pakistan:
Basit Ali
Shahid Afridi
Imran Nazir
Mohd Zahid
Shoaib Akthar
Mohd Sami
Umar Akmal
Junaid Khan
Mohd Aamir
A few hacks in there, tbh.

And Afridi had a full and pretty successful LO career, although maybe not quite of the nature people would have expected.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Matt Parkinson? 3-4 seasons ago you'd have imagined he'd be England's first choice spinner in 2024.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Matt Parkinson? 3-4 seasons ago you'd have imagined he'd be England's first choice spinner in 2024.
No, people were always leery about how slowly he bowled and the selectors have generally preferred options that seemed less risky if if they weren't taking as many wickets. The fact he can't bat - which is the primary selection criterion for an English spinner - or field very well is also important. I don't think all but a few seriously thought he'd be first choice.

Another English Matt - Fisher - is well down this road though, thanks to incurring a bewildering array of injuries.

Chubb

International Regular
Stuart Matsikenyeri had a higher average from his Test performances, to be fair. Both seemed rather talented, if given more of a chance.
Vusi the Genius is a niche meme for some of the CW old timers, but yes, Stuart was also a very talented young man, indeed my first post on CricketWeb back in 2003 mentioned him as one to watch.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Jeff Wilson

Could've been a world class allrounder, but instead chose rugby and became one of the greatest rugby players of all time. Possibly could've played basketball to a high standard if he'd wanted to as well. Tough life.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harmison. In 2005-06 you'd have sworn he could've been England's best ever fast bowler (before Anderson's comeback). Instead it all just fell away.
One of my favourite players. Him and Tremlett took a very different approach to the "bulk after cricket career" journey

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Pakistan:
Basit Ali
Shahid Afridi
Imran Nazir
Mohd Zahid
Shoaib Akthar
Mohd Sami
Umar Akmal
Junaid Khan
Mohd Aamir
Ahmed Shehzad aswell ..was hyped a lot..
To be fair he was kinda unlucky not to be given more chances seeing that he averaged 40 in test cricket .He's still only 32 incredibly