• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World number one? Then stop taking our players!

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm just disappointed.

My disappointment over this comes from the fact that Rankin just isn't that good.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not pick Barker from Warwicks instead? Rankin is crap if you ask me. Looking at the counties they have chosen this side from they could have given a youngster a go rather than a journeyman pro.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rankin has been in performance squads for the ECB, so they have put time and money into him. It's not like the game has any affect on him playing for Ireland anyway.

Jacknife

International Captain
Rankin has been in performance squads for the ECB, so they have put time and money into him. It's not like the game has any affect on him playing for Ireland anyway.
Yes, he's been on the ECB fast bowling courses for a few years, still doesn't change the fact that he's crap.

irelandcricket

Cricket Spectator
Would you guys not rather have local English players in your team? Rather than picking other players from different countries? Next it will be Dockrell and then Stirling.

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
Would you guys not rather have local English players in your team? Rather than picking other players from different countries? Next it will be Dockrell and then Stirling.
They seem happy enough to take advantage of county cricket so why shoudn't England take advantage of them?

If not, let them stay in Ireland and see if they end up as good!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't see this as a big problem.. Assuming England dominate WC and have a settled squad where even good players find it hard to break in, and again assuming Ireland have gained test status, we could very well have a scenario where English players move to Ireland for an opportunity to play test cricket.. Would you Irish fans feel the same way then? It is just a choice of the individuals concerned when they are qualified to play for more than one country, AFAIC...

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think we should start poaching Afghanistani players 90% of that team plays their club cricket in Pakistan anyway have a feeling they might produce some gun fast bowlers if Hamid Hassan can be taken as an early template.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
I think we should start poaching Afghanistani players 90% of that team plays their club cricket in Pakistan anyway have a feeling they might produce some gun fast bowlers if Hamid Hassan can be taken as an early template.
I'm really curious to know how he'd fair against a semi decent team like Zimbos/Bangers. He's been blowing away some pretty substandard sides (ie. Canada) but not even Johnston, Rainkin et al did that as regularly and as easily as him at the height of Ireland's dominance of the Associates.

In all serious regarding this post (if i can be serious) I'm happy England are poaching these boys. Go watch some vids of Eoin during the '07 World Cup. He was woeful. In fact, the first thing i noticed when he started to play for England in the one dayers was that **** shuffling he does had disappeared and he looked more balanced, which i've noticed has come back since he's been under preasure against the seamers.

Boyd can only improve from time with the Lions. Doubt he'd ever be considered for a full IX - even if he could stay fit for a full season. They can also have Stirling too. He's also not good enough to ever make an England IX but he'll learn how to get past 40.

pup11

International Coach
Can understand the frustrations of an Irish fan but you can't blame any Irish player or ECB for this, ICC needs to do its bit to stop smaller nations from losing their players to more established cricketing nations and that can only happen if they help these teams to come into the mainstream side of cricket rather then using them just as some ''rodeo clowns'' for their global tournaments, if teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have test status then see no reason why it should be any different for Ireland.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Can understand the frustrations of an Irish fan but you can't blame any Irish player or ECB for this, ICC needs to do its bit to stop smaller nations from losing their players to more established cricketing nations and that can only happen if they help these teams to come into the mainstream side of cricket rather then using them just as some ''rodeo clowns'' for their global tournaments, if teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have test status then see no reason why it should be any different for Ireland.
As much as I like this idea, it's not going to happen. Training with elite coaches in England will just have to do for now.