• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World number one? Then stop taking our players!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
If there happened to be an amazing new Pakistani fast bowler discovered in Pakistan and he happened to get British citizenship, then I would be very happy if England took him for their own. This is because I know that he would be better off with England, plus I would get to enjoy watching a new sensational bowler play for a great team.

If only England had taken Amir before his fall.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I worry about this, in much the same way that I'd have worried about England selecting foreign players such as Ian Meckiff in the 60s, Muttiah Muralitharan in the 90s or Ruchira Perara in the Noughties

:ph34r:
You wouldn't be suggesting that Rankin has a suspect action, would you?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I think its the players that have to decide, since they benefit from the English county and it helps them to develop their game, so its upto them to decide whom they play for.

I think South African players going to represent England is OK, but I don't think that the Irish players should do that, the Ireland team is progressing so much in the shorter formats, if Morgan and Keiswetter were in the current England squad than it could have been even stronger, I think the Irish players should work hard and try and guide Ireland to test status, looking at their team, it really shows how well the team and the players are managed. It will develop really well till the next WC.

And I don't think it will be fair to blame Engalnd for it.

OMM!

U19 12th Man
He is Irish. Why can't England play just ENGLISH players!
Well he is Northern Irish. So from the UK. Like Simon Jones or Gavin Hamilton or Dougie Brown.

Are "Ireland" actually just the Republic of Ireland? Or both Northern Ireland AND the Republic of Ireland? Or are they RoI, but they just steal N.I players?

Jacknife

International Captain
Well he is Northern Irish. So from the UK. Like Simon Jones or Gavin Hamilton or Dougie Brown.

Are "Ireland" actually just the Republic of Ireland? Or both Northern Ireland AND the Republic of Ireland? Or are they RoI, but they just steal N.I players?
I think it's the same as the rugby union team that represents both sides of the border.

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Just seems a bit odd that England can pick Welsh and Scottish players without much being said. They're even looking at a Manx cricketer in Danny Briggs!

Yet a Northern Irishman like Rankin playing for England is some great crime!

(Not that I think he's good enough anyway! Certainly inferior to Tremlett, Broad and Finn!)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just seems a bit odd that England can pick Welsh and Scottish players without much being said. They're even looking at a Manx cricketer in Danny Briggs!

Yet a Northern Irishman like Rankin playing for England is some great crime!

(Not that I think he's good enough anyway! Certainly inferior to Tremlett, Broad and Finn!)
Quite a while since we picked a Scot, tbh. I'd guess Gavin Hamilton was the last and he was hardly a ripping success.

Wales don't have their own national side because they're represented by England, so no dramas there. England & Wales Cricket Board, innit?

I think there's a fuss because we are picking Ireland's best players and they have serious ambitions of being the 11th test nation.