• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who won’t be there next ashes?

Molehill

International Captain
Its safe to assume that Molehill would miss the entire Ashes series when England get trounced in Australia 4 - 0 due to a month long vacation in Turkey
Not sure Turkey is that great in Nov-Jan.

Worth pointing out that one of the two Tests played whilst I was on holiday we won. Although, you won't find me posting in the middle of the night. The only time you're likely to get me posting during play is Adelaide (assuming it's still pink ball) and Perth.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This series for me is the first time I've seen Cummins/Starc/Hazlewood (The big 3 if you will) really start to look like they are not quite up to it at times anymore. Even though Starc has actually been better than I expected. For the last 5 to 8-ish(?) years these guys have been the obvious fast bowling attack for Aus except for the brief burst of Boland. Even Cummins has looked way off and can't help but think the captaincy needs to be given up.

They've kept the Ashes and good chance they'll win the series but not playing Neser was a big mistake IMO. This was the perfect time to play him, in England, dukes ball, form of his life etc. and I can't help but feel that Test cricket has now passed him by

Victor Ian

International Coach
Pretty much agree with all that, the one I find interesting is Head. He's been found out against the short ball now and can expect to get plenty more of that. If he doesn't learn to play it then not sure he'll be in the next Ashes.
im hoping head just decides to follow the Waugh template and then becomes the new rock for Australia. let bowlers wear themselves out bowling short and take advantage afterwards.

Daemon

This series for me is the first time I've seen Cummins/Starc/Hazlewood (The big 3 if you will) really start to look like they are not quite up to it at times anymore. Even though Starc has actually been better than I expected. For the last 5 to 8-ish(?) years these guys have been the obvious fast bowling attack for Aus except for the brief burst of Boland. Even Cummins has looked way off and can't help but think the captaincy needs to be given up.

They've kept the Ashes and good chance they'll win the series but not playing Neser was a big mistake IMO. This was the perfect time to play him, in England, dukes ball, form of his life etc. and I can't help but feel that Test cricket has now passed him by
Yeah he’d be feeling pretty hard done by. Was literally the perfect storm for him to debut. Though a debut in the 4th could’ve been a rough initiation.

TheJediBrah

Yeah he’d be feeling pretty hard done by. Was literally the perfect storm for him to debut. Though a debut in the 4th could’ve been a rough initiation.
Correct, though he has actually played a couple of Tests. This was his moment and he never got the chance

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I think Cummins will be fine. To me it’s just demonstrated how fast bowlers shouldn’t be captains.

As much as I miss golden arm Stokes (could have done with him in the one session we had on day 4 at Manchester) I don’t mind him just being there to bat. I think the captaincy killed Flintoff off. With no Lyon, Cummins has taken a lot on his shoulders.

I’d say Head should be Oz captain and let Cummins go back to being the world’s elite quick, instead of cowering away at first change hiding from Zak Crawley :ph34r:

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I think Smith will retire after the next Ashes. He'll want another go against India and he'll have three two-match away series, first against New Zealand in 2024, and then West Indies and Sri Lanka in 2025, so not a huge workload, especially if he gives up LO internationals after the World Cup (probably wouldn't get picked anyway).

Usman is the best opener in the world right now and has credits in the bank if he wants to keep going. Seems to be quite family focused but again, the lack of big overseas tours may mean he sticks around until he is 39. Maybe it's more likely he retires after the India home summer.

I actually think Starc and maybe Hazlewood will be kicking around then too in some capacity. They may cameo like Siddle did late in his career. These guys both went through stress fractures early on in their careers which led them to being the first generation to be so long held back for rehab/remodelling in the new sports science era. It wouldn't surprise me if they have surprising durability compared to the previous generation.

There was a sense of finality when Lyon came out to bat at Lord's and I have a weird feeling he's played his last test.

So I expect the XI to look something like:

Bancroft (through sheer weight of runs)
Renshaw
Labuschagne
Smith
Head (c)
Green
Peirson (wk)
Starc / Sutherland
Cummins
Murphy
Richardson

Morris, McAndrew, Bartlett might be some other guys in the frame.

On the England side I think Root will probably retire around the next Ashes too. I wouldn't have thought Chris Woakes would have been close to the team but he's been amazingly good in the last few tests. I think Duckett, as good as he has been, more likely than not does not have the technique to survive at test level for another few years.

Crawley
?
Bohannon / Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Foakes / Rew (wk) (can someone tell me if Rew is a serious keeper?)
Ahmed
Robinson
Tongue
Potts

Kraken

State Captain
I think Smith will retire after the next Ashes. He'll want another go against India and he'll have three two-match away series, first against New Zealand in 2024, and then West Indies and Sri Lanka in 2025, so not a huge workload, especially if he gives up LO internationals after the World Cup (probably wouldn't get picked anyway).

Usman is the best opener in the world right now and has credits in the bank if he wants to keep going. Seems to be quite family focused but again, the lack of big overseas tours may mean he sticks around until he is 39. Maybe it's more likely he retires after the India home summer.

I actually think Starc and maybe Hazlewood will be kicking around then too in some capacity. They may cameo like Siddle did late in his career. These guys both went through stress fractures early on in their careers which led them to being the first generation to be so long held back for rehab/remodelling in the new sports science era. It wouldn't surprise me if they have surprising durability compared to the previous generation.

There was a sense of finality when Lyon came out to bat at Lord's and I have a weird feeling he's played his last test.

Renshaw
Labuschagne
Smith
Head (c)
Green
Peirson (wk)
Starc / Sutherland
Cummins
Murphy
Richardson

On the England side I think Root will probably retire around the next Ashes too. I wouldn't have thought Chris Woakes would have been close to the team but he's been amazingly good in the last few tests. I think Duckett, as good as he has been, more likely than not does not have the technique to survive at test level for another few years.

Crawley
?
Bohannon / Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Ahmed
Robinson
Tongue
Potts
God that's a horrible opening pair for Aus.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Renshaw
Labuschagne
Smith
Head (c)
Green
Peirson (wk)
Starc / Sutherland
Cummins
Murphy
Richardson

Crawley
?
Bohannon / Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Ahmed
Robinson
Tongue
Potts
I think Potts will play a lot of Tests but can’t see him being any use down under

kevinw

International 12th Man
I imagine the England top seven will have few changes. Foakes in for Bairstow, probably - Pope likely to be the most vulnerable of the top six.

Bowlers could be a real guessing game. Robinson, Cook, Atkinson, Lawes, Mahmood, Carse, Potts, Tongue in the mix - spinner still likely to be Leach.

Molehill

International Captain

Crawley
?
Bohannon / Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Ahmed
Robinson
Tongue
Potts
I have a feeling unless there's some serious weight of runs in the CC, no one will challenge Duckett. He's a decent player of spin so should do ok (no worse than anyone else really) in India. With SL and WI visiting next year, it could be a fill yer boots situation.

I've never been convinced by Pope, he's got the talent but needs to sort his head out.

England have really missed Leach this series. It's noticeable that the 2 (and quite likely 3) Tests that were lost were when they had limited spin options. Leach had become so good at holding down an end (as well as picking up wickets) and allowing the seamers to rotate. I'd be surprised if he wasn't back in the team for the next Ashes.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
My prediction-
Smith ✔
Lyon ✔
Cummins ✔
Starc ✔
hazlewood ⚔
Head ✔
Green ✔
Carey ✔
Labuschagne ✔