• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who won’t be there next ashes?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Broad doesn't go to Australia next time. I know this is a bit negative, but I think he'll be too old and I'd hate to see him embarrassed after all he's done in the past. I know 39 would be younger than what we've seen from Anderson, but Jimmy's longevity is hardly normal.

Wood turns 36 during the series, so he'd be pushing his luck too.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia:

Warner - won't be there
Khawaja - likely won't be there, though he is playing well enough that with some luck it's possible he might get there?
Labuschange - will be there
Smith - will be there (think 25/26 is his last series, though)
Head - will be there
Green - probably will be there? I'm just worried that he might struggle to find his best role now he's not in the side and has had one poor series.
Mitch Marsh - will depend on how the India series goes, I guess. He's still young enough to make it to 2025 but he's also been very much in and out of the side so one bad series and he goes out of the side again. And he's never done well against non-English sides....
Carey - will be there
Starc - tough to say. He'll be 35 by then and is still fairly fit so in theory should make it. What does worry me is that the year before they're playing India who's had the wood on him. At his age one bad series could be terminal.
Cummins - will be there (may or may not be captain though)
Lyon - 50/50, maybe? Could play on, might not. Injuries will matter.
Boland - I have my doubts he'll ever play Tests again
Hazlewood - seems dubious at this point, he's had struggles with fitness and his own bowling has gotten worse. Can see him falling out of favour.

England:

Crawley - reckon he'll stay around because the English setup loves him and his technique in theory would be good for Australian conditions
Duckett - still pretty unconvinced. On dicier decks I think he could get found out hard. Will depend on how long Bazball lasts.
Pope - probably will be there, but he's still not fully convinced me so it's not impossible he falls out of favour
Root - will be there
Brook - will be there
Stokes - he'll definitely try to. Body does seem to be falling apart though and being the captain it's hard to get decent rest. I'd say he plays but no guarantees.
Bairstow - aging and has lost a lot of form. Think he'll struggle to keep his spot for another two and a half years
Moeen - won't be there
Woakes - won't be there because it's not England
Wood - it's going to be tough. England would love him to play but his fitness will always be a test especially as he gets older. Could go either way.
Robinson - fitness will matter, should play in theory though
Broad - likely won't be there, unlike Anderson I'm not sure he has enough tricks to maintain relevance as he ages and his performances outside of England has often been poor for a while
Anderson - won't be there (though you never know with Anderson)

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That looks pretty fair.

Moving onto 2027, I think that series may well see a record number of players (combined from both sides) making their first appearances in an Ashes test in England.

Molehill

International Captain
Pretty much agree with all that, the one I find interesting is Head. He's been found out against the short ball now and can expect to get plenty more of that. If he doesn't learn to play it then not sure he'll be in the next Ashes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much agree with all that, the one I find interesting is Head. He's been found out against the short ball now and can expect to get plenty more of that. If he doesn't learn to play it then not sure he'll be in the next Ashes.
And yet his average in this series hasn't been catastrophic. Perhaps it depends on who Australia play in the next couple of years.

morgieb

And yet his average in this series hasn't been catastrophic. Perhaps it depends on who Australia play in the next couple of years.
From memory we've got Pakistan and West Indies this summer and India next. New Zealand away from home this summer and I think there's a tour of Sri Lanka too.

With the possible exception of India I don't think those sides will test him that much with the short ball.

Burgey

He’ll be captain by then and the dominant player on either side

Molehill

International Captain
From memory we've got Pakistan and West Indies this summer and India next. New Zealand away from home this summer and I think there's a tour of Sri Lanka too.

With the possible exception of India I don't think those sides will test him that much with the short ball.
Shaheen and Naseem could be interesting on Aussie pitches, the Windies less so.

loterry1994

International Debutant
How on earth do we have windies coming two summers in a row. Only series I’ve enjoyed is when India comes to Australia these days. The other teams that tour rarely get close to winning.

Gob

International Coach
lol

Gob

International Coach
Its safe to assume that Molehill would miss the entire Ashes series when England get trounced in Australia 4 - 0 due to a month long vacation in Turkey