• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is currently the best, in 2023?

Test format ofc: top team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

subshakerz

International Coach
Thing is, nothing much has changed for Team India in last 5 years except captaincy. Core of the team and playing style all remains the same.
Middle order is in worse shape now than in 2018.

And Australia and England seem better sides now than a couple of years ago. Again why it's better to look at current form for this question.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Thing is, nothing much has changed for Team India in last 5 years except captaincy. Core of the team and playing style all remains the same.
You are still expecting logical arguments ?

He is saying India’s win in Aus in 2018 and 2020 doesn’t matter because India won’t be able to win in Aus next time . India’s home record doesn’t matter . Only thing that matters is last 10 months . And in those 10 months Aus are better than India and Aus’s loss in India doesn’t matter .

Keep going around in Circles.

subshakerz

International Coach
You are still expecting logical arguments ?

He is saying India’s win in Aus in 2018 and 2020 doesn’t matter because India won’t be able to win in Aus next time . India’s home record doesn’t matter . Only thing that matters is last 10 months . And in those 10 months Aus are better than India and Aus’s loss in India doesn’t matter .

Keep going around in Circles.
Current form matters.

ataraxia

International Coach
There is lot of ambiguity on the time frame. Each one is interpreting it in their own way. Leaving a lot of room for people to bash one another and claim their opinion to be superior.

Blame @ataraxia for a **** OP.

Coming to think of it this was a perfect thread created by a kiwi poster to sit down with popcorn and soda and enjoy the show instead of watching his own team being schooled at home.
The 2023 in the title is to remove title ambiguity in searches, similar to tour thread timeframes.

More generally I was interested as to whether people still think #bazball is flash-in-the-pan – hence defining any timeframe would defeat the point, no?

anil1405

International Captain
The 2023 in the title is to remove title ambiguity in searches, similar to tour thread timeframes.

More generally I was interested as to whether people still think #bazball is flash-in-the-pan hence defining any timeframe would defeat the point, no?
That's a totally different conversation.

What's happening here is we are comparing an upcoming (McCullum brand) side which barely played what 8 months of test cricket against two established sides.

Personally England can out do both these sides only after they deliver results in the next one two years for me. Because that's when they'll face the real challenge that will show us where they stand.

anil1405

International Captain
England can very well win in India next time they tour.
This is what I was thinking. One decent knock from Khawaja and Handscomb kinda put us on the backfoot momentarily.

If England manage to succeed with their attacking style in let's say even one of their first 3-4 innings in that tour they will have us under pressure.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally England can out do both these sides only after they deliver results in the next one two years for me. Because that's when they'll face the real challenge that will show us where they stand.
They've whitewashed Pakistan in Pakistan and absolutely demolished NZ home and away, which are incredible results. I don't think it's fair to say the only way they can prove they're better than Aus/Ind is by beating them away from home. All series matter.

anil1405

International Captain
They've whitewashed Pakistan in Pakistan and absolutely demolished NZ home and away, which are incredible results. I don't think it's fair to say the only way they can prove they're better than Aus/Ind is by beating them away from home. All series matter.
It's the ultimate challenges that will prove their worth in the long run. They are among the top 3 sides right now because they've done so well beating Pak away and NZ, home and away, and for what they've achieved prior to McCullum's takeover.

Right now India and Aus are the other top sides so if they are indeed the best side right now it's these challenges that will prove it.

ataraxia

International Coach
That's a totally different conversation.

What's happening here is we are comparing an upcoming (McCullum brand) side which barely played what 8 months of test cricket against two established sides.

^ That's precisely what I wanted

Also, assaulting a poster for of all things changing their mind is peak CW. Changing one's mind after looking at other viewpoints should be encouraged.

Low quality thread tbh; whose idea was it to start it?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the ultimate challenges that will prove their worth in the long run. They are among the top 3 sides right now because they've done so well beating Pak away and NZ, home and away and for what they've achieved prior to McCullum's takeover.

Right now India and Aus are the top sides so if they are indeed the best side right it's these challenges that will prove it.
You're pretty much saying completely ignore every other series except the India and Aus series? That's ridiculous imo. You don't need to win some arbitrarily decided "ultimate challenge" final boss to be the best team in the world. If they beat Australia and India away they should probably be considered one of the greatest teams of all time, much less merely the best team right now. You're holding them to a crazy high standard.

anil1405

International Captain
You're pretty much saying completely ignore every other series except the India and Aus series. That's ridiculous imo. You don't need to win some arbitrarily decided "ultimate challenge" final boss to be the best team in the world. If they beat Australia and India away they should probably be considered one of the greatest teams of all time, much less merely the best team right now. You're holding them to a crazy high standard.
Seriously is that how you understood it?

I am clearly saying they are in top 3 because they've done so well beating other sides but under this leadership they haven't faces the best sides yet.

It's the performances in those key series that will determine if they are the best side or among the top 3 sides globally. Like how hard is it to understand this point for an experienced poster like you?