• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketer is peer/pundit review most wrong on?

subshakerz

International Coach
Seriously, I love how all the nostalgia jerks talking about how the 70s and 80s were the pinnacle of cricket forgets that how ****ty the spinners were in the latter.....
70s had great spinners.

80s most recognize as spin shallow because it is part of the Warne narrative.

90s had great spinners and pacers, hence the best era.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
On overrated by Sobers, I present Mahadevan Sathasivam. Sobers called him "The Greatest Batsman ever on Earth" and Worrell called him "The Greatest Batsman I have ever seen", allegedly.
Sobers would never have seen Sathasivam. Worrell played against him twice and was particularly impressed by an innings of 96 out of a Ceylon total of 153 against a Commonwealth XI in 1950. Sathasivam appeared in 11 first-class matches, averaging 41.

He scored 111 against a full Indian side in 1945, 101 on debut a few months earlier against a Muslim team with eight future Test cricketers, and 215 in four hours against Southern India in 1947 whose attack included off-spinner Ghulam Ahmed and two other past/future Test bowlers. It seems that Sathasivam has a claim to be Ceylon's best pre-Test batsman.

Among pre-Test bowlers, left-arm medium-pacer Tommy Kelaart enjoys a formidable reputation -1736 wickets @ 6.81 in all cricket (not first-class) between 1889 and 1918. One of his victims was WG Grace, clean bowled. More recently, Mevan Pieris had 61 wickets @ 17 in 15 first-class matches 1969-75. Pieris was known as the King of Swing.

Further information about these and other leading early Ceylonese cricketers would be of interest, particularly those who didn't play in England.

Migara

International Coach
Sobers would never have seen Sathasivam. Worrell played against him twice and was particularly impressed by an innings of 96 out of a Ceylon total of 153 against a Commonwealth XI in 1950. Sathasivam appeared in 11 first-class matches, averaging 41.

He scored 111 against a full Indian side in 1945, 101 on debut a few months earlier against a Muslim team with eight future Test cricketers, and 215 in four hours against Southern India in 1947 whose attack included off-spinner Ghulam Ahmed and two other past/future Test bowlers. It seems that Sathasivam has a claim to be Ceylon's best pre-Test batsman.

Among pre-Test bowlers, left-arm medium-pacer Tommy Kelaart enjoys a formidable reputation -1736 wickets @ 6.81 in all cricket (not first-class) between 1889 and 1918. One of his victims was WG Grace, clean bowled. More recently, Mevan Pieris had 61 wickets @ 17 in 15 first-class matches 1969-75. Pieris was known as the King of Swing.

Further information about these and other leading early Ceylonese cricketers would be of interest, particularly those who didn't play in England.
Sathasivam and Steve Tikolo perhaps the best batsmen never to play for a test playing nation.

Other Ceylonese cricketers, most likely is overhyped by the posh media class of the era. Only players probably not hyped up are FC de Saram and Daya Sahabandu. It needed the phenomenon called Ranatunga to change the mindset of middle of the line and fringe players.

kyear2

International Coach
I have literally seen Lara bat all through his career and while he says he found it harder to face flatter spinners, it does not mean he had trouble facing them. There is a world of difference and any sane person can see that. Which is what Kumble showed in his interview as well.

But salty can carry on cribbing about stuff that only exist in his head. Reality shows Lara is the best player of spin in my time of watching cricket.

Its sad his life must be pathetic enough to warrant calling these Ws and Ls when its just posting about a sport you follow.
Fully agree.

kyear2

International Coach
I could be very wrong, but remember Benaud, who was exceptionally influential, being one of Warne biggest proponents. Also the narrative that he revived a dying art.

kyear2

International Coach
What's the difference between finding it harder versus trouble?
Finding it harder means you're not in your comfort zone as you are vs bowlers who flight it more, it's not as easy. Trouble means you're struggling, almost failing.

subshakerz

International Coach
Finding it harder means you're not in your comfort zone as you are vs bowlers who flight it more, it's not as easy. Trouble means you're struggling, almost failing.
Well he said he wouldn't like to face those spinners even more than Warne/Murali.

I think Lara's nature was to try an dominate and he found it hard to do it against those. I remember he couldn't really knock Saqlain around.