• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricket team has the best "Spin Department"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
chicane said:
very little separates india, sri lanka and australia imo.

sl - murali (the best) + bandara (promising)

india - kumble and harbhajan (two of the top spinners)

australia - warne (second best) + macgill (great support bowler, takes so many wickets)

murali and harbhajan have been struggling off late though, so atm i think - australia, india then sri lanka.

on top form - sri lanka (cant beat murali), india, then australia.
The best at home spin attack:

1. India
2. Sri Lanka
3. Australia

The best away spin attack:

1. Australia
2. India
3. Sri Lanka

Overall, if I had to choose an attack:

1. Australia (Warne is so freaking irrepressible, I'd only play with one spinner)
2. India

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
JASON said:
1 Australia (Warne occasionally Macgill)
2 England (Udal/Panesar) = India (Kumble/Bhaji)

Is this guy the English version of NehraFan? England have nowhere near the spin attack of India. You can certainly argue for Warne himself being better than any other spin attack, but England is not number two by any sense of the imagination.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Australia
SriLanka
India
Pakistan
Bangladesh
NewZealand
England

This is obviously when teams play anywhere in the world, If we are talking about Best Spinners when playing @ home then :-

India
SriLanka
Australia
Pakistan
Bangladesh
NewZealand
England

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
1 - Australia: Warne is just a force by himself, let alone a pretty good supporter in Macgill.
2 - India - Kumble & Bhaji: Two great spinners just behind the Aussies.
3 - Sri Lanka: Murali, enough said.

TIF

U19 Debutant
As for spin department, India looks like having only 1 world-class spinner now in Anil Kumble, who is highly under-rated as well. I am yet to see the day when even non-Indians will start comparing Kumble alongwith Muralitharan and Warne. I have tried to bring up Anil Kumble in Muralitharan v Warne discussions, saying that he is good enough to be compared with the 2, but then let alone non-Indians, very few Indians even really care for it.

Also, Harbhajan Singh looks like being over-rated as of now. Cant understand in a country filled with loads of quality spinners, how come Harbhajan Singh had had such long a run just due to a few good series. Harbhajan Singh, hasnt done much recently, going for runs even in those pitches where Kumble has happened to take loads of wickets. Its time Harbhajan got replaced by Ramesh Powar, Piyush Chawla or some other spinner.

As for spin-departments, more like choosing India, Australia and Sri Lanka, it better to choose between Kumble, Warne and Muralitharan and I would rate the 3 equally as of now.

Looking at back-up spinners, India has Ramesh Powar and Piyush Chawla after Harbhajan Singh, Australia have Stuart MacGill and Nathan Hauritz and Sri Lanka have Malinga Bandara and Upul Chandana.

As for Pakistan, they do have Danish Kaneria and Arshad Khan but they need to get in more regular spinners and not part-timers like Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik. And Bangladesh, has a good crop of left-arm spinners though with Mohammad Rafique, Enamul Haque Jnr and 1-2 more.

Rating spin-departments,

1 - India
2 - Sri Lanka
3 - Australia
(However the 3 teams are fairly equal)
4 - Pakistan
5 - Bangladesh
6 - England
7 - New Zealand

However, this thread shouldnt turn into a "Muralitharan v Warne" thread, as there is another thread in for that topic. If it becomes a "Kumble v Muralitharan/Warne" thread, its fine.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TIF said:
As for spin department, India looks like having only 1 world-class spinner now in Anil Kumble, who is highly under-rated as well. I am yet to see the day when even non-Indians will start comparing Kumble alongwith Muralitharan and Warne. I have tried to bring up Anil Kumble in Muralitharan v Warne discussions, saying that he is good enough to be compared with the 2, but then let alone non-Indians, very few Indians even really care for it.

Also, Harbhajan Singh looks like being over-rated as of now. Cant understand in a country filled with loads of quality spinners, how come Harbhajan Singh had had such long a run just due to a few good series. Harbhajan Singh, hasnt done much recently, going for runs even in those pitches where Kumble has happened to take loads of wickets. Its time Harbhajan got replaced by Ramesh Powar, Piyush Chawla or some other spinner.

As for spin-departments, more like choosing India, Australia and Sri Lanka, it better to choose between Kumble, Warne and Muralitharan and I would rate the 3 equally as of now.

Looking at back-up spinners, India has Ramesh Powar and Piyush Chawla after Harbhajan Singh, Australia have Stuart MacGill and Nathan Hauritz and Sri Lanka have Malinga Bandara and Upul Chandana.

As for Pakistan, they do have Danish Kaneria and Arshad Khan but they need to get in more regular spinners and not part-timers like Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik. And Bangladesh, has a good crop of left-arm spinners though with Mohammad Rafique, Enamul Haque Jnr and 1-2 more.

Rating spin-departments,

1 - India
2 - Sri Lanka
3 - Australia
(However the 3 teams are fairly equal)
4 - Pakistan
5 - Bangladesh
6 - England
7 - New Zealand

However, this thread shouldnt turn into a "Muralitharan v Warne" thread, as there is another thread in for that topic. If it becomes a "Kumble v Muralitharan/Warne" thread, its fine.

The reason I don't rate Kumble with Warne and Murali is because Kumble has not performed as well overseas as the other two.

However, he is #3 in spinners atm. If we just didn't happen to have two of the all time best spinners playing at the same time...Kumble would be the best spinner in the world in almost any other era (including the Spin Quartet era).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
If you're going shopping for left-arm spinners, head to Bangladesh.

Mohammad Rafique, Enamul Haque jnr, Manjural Islam Rana, Abdur Razzak, Nadif Chowdhury, Saqibul Hasan, Mehrab Hossain jnr, Elias Sunny, Suhrawadi Shuvo are all slow-left armers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
open365 said:
India have Chawla,Kumble and Singh so i would go with them.

I wouldn't put Chawla up there with them. He hasn't done anything yet, not even in FC cricket. They have Kumble, and Singh.

Chawla is not even in the Panesar category yet. Panesar has more FC experience and more Test experience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
Is this guy the English version of NehraFan? England have nowhere near the spin attack of India. You can certainly argue for Warne himself being better than any other spin attack, but England is not number two by any sense of the imagination.
JASON's a Sri Lankan, pal...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lillian Thomson said:
It has to be Australia. Maybe not much variety, but I would take Warne and Macgill every time.
I'd certainly take MacGill if I was a good batsman who wanted to score some runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TIF said:
Err - that'd be because Kumble, even now, is nowhere near as good as those 2.
Certainly for most of his career, outside the subcontinent he wasn't fit to lace their boots.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
If you're going shopping for left-arm spinners, head to Bangladesh.

Mohammad Rafique, Enamul Haque jnr, Manjural Islam Rana, Abdur Razzak, Nadif Chowdhury, Saqibul Hasan, Mehrab Hossain jnr, Elias Sunny, Suhrawadi Shuvo are all slow-left armers
And only Rafique is even a half-decent bowler.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Richard said:
Err - that'd be because Kumble, even now, is nowhere near as good as those 2.
Certainly for most of his career, outside the subcontinent he wasn't fit to lace their boots.

Agreed. Though for my money, he is easily the #3 spinner in the world. And if he was born in any other era, he'd be number 1.