• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

kyear2

International Coach
Well for me it's Viv then the rest as far as West Indians are concerned. I think Viv is a case where stats don't tell the truth nor do they do him justice. I mean for goodness sakes Shiv averages a clear 2 runs more (wtf)
Which is why, regardless of what some what to say, strike rate for batsmen does matter.

watson

Banned
well, it is a little simplistic to say that Viv was so good just because his SR was amazing.
No one expects a single point to be anything but 'simplistic', because a single point can only ever be 'simplistic' by definition.

ie. you're trolling.

kyear2

International Coach
That Sehwag, best since Bradman. Stats don't tell the whole story but strike rate matters.
Never said in isolation. Plus it's not like if hos average is low either. They are other intangibles that should be factored in.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think one thing you have to factor in is how highly someone was rated by their peers. Viv was pretty much a unanimous choice for some of the greatest bowlers to play the game. I don't think you could say the same about sehwag.

bagapath

International Captain
Help me rank these four ATG teams...

TEAM 1

hobbs
wg grace
bradman ©
richards
sobers
imran
gilchrist (wk)
marshall
warne
lillee
mcgrath

TEAM 2

gavaskar
hutton ©
lara
tendulkar
hammond
ab de villiers (wk)
miller
hadlee
ambrose
murali
barnes

TEAM 3

sehwag
hayden
g.pollock
kallis
g.chappell ©
sangakara (wk)
botham
akram
garner
steyn
o'reilly

TEAM 4

sutcliffe
trumper
ponting
g.headley
border ©
flower (wk)
s.pollock
davidson
trueman
holding
grimmett

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In team 4, replace Pollock with Faulkner and Grimmett with Lindwall and that would be take 3rd ahead of Team 3 for me :)

adub

International Captain
Can you really be in a World All Time XI if you didn't play for the Bluebaggers? Of course not.

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Border
Waugh (SR)
Miller
Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Davidson
O'Reilly
McGrath

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Phil Emery's not happy. Kept big ears out of the side to the point he had to move states, and still can't crack your NSWcentric World XI.

Chrish

International Debutant
1) Sunil Gavaskar
2) Saeed Anwar
3) Rahul Dravid
4) Sachin Tendulkar
5) Kumar Sangakkara
6) MS Dhoni
7) Imran Khan
8) Kapil Dev
9) Wasim Akram
10) Waqar Younis
11) Muttiah Muralitharan

Batting lower in the order can be difficult too, e.g if the top order collapses, you're stuck batting with tailenders.
Against an older ball and bowlers who are not as fresh. Pitch may have settled a bit, atmospheric conditions may have changed. But yeah, I agree that it is very tough when there is scoreboard pressure of needing runs to win, or save the game, or even make the other team bat again mounting on the batsmen and top order has collapsed. I guess what I am saying is that second innings that is really tough, first innings, should be slightly less pressure, unless perhaps trying to avoid the follow on.

But always nicer to bat with plenty on the board already and the game in control.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Against an older ball and bowlers who are not as fresh. Pitch may have settled a bit, atmospheric conditions may have changed. But yeah, I agree that it is very tough when there is scoreboard pressure of needing runs to win, or save the game, or even make the other team bat again mounting on the batsmen and top order has collapsed. I guess what I am saying is that second innings that is really tough, first innings, should be slightly less pressure, unless perhaps trying to avoid the follow on.

But always nicer to bat with plenty on the board already and the game in control.
Batsmen at 5-6 can often face the second new ball as well.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
1) Virender Sehwag
2) Rahul Dravid
3) Bradman
4) Sachin Tendulkar
5) Viv Richards
6) Garry Sobers (5)
7) Imran Khan (3) (c)
8) Adam Gilchrist (wk)
9) Malcolm Marshall (1)
10) Wasim Akram (2)
11) Muralitharan (4)

Last edited:
Batsmen at 5-6 can often face the second new ball as well.
Yeah, against bowlers who have bowled 80 overs between them, with at least 240 on the board at that stage.

Openers who score a mammoth amounts of runs at great averages impress me a lot. Don't get me wrong, I like my fighters and icing in the middle order. But I think sometimes openers often get undervalued for the bowling conditions they regularly face.

I read Ponting believes it is the best batsman in a team's responsibility to bat three. You can imagine the reasons why. I liked his argument. There are of course counter arguments that are sound too.

Last edited: