• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Neesham is the one over-30 something I'd have no major issues with being given a run in tests. Bat him at 7 and go with 3 seamers and a dedicated spinner.

Stead: "Hmmm...I dunno, your birth certificate checks out, but your instagram history has zoomer written all over it. Come back in 5 years."

Edit: I forgot Neesham's out of consideration because he turned down a central contract. Have to remember to give Jimmy a bashing on twitter for failing to be a feminist ally.

Flem274*

123/5
To me - this post is a serious, serious problem for NZC. A few separate people have now commented that the approach taken - be it the selection of Kuggeleijn or the staleness in selection in general - is causing dedicated fans to lose interest. I highly suspect they have no idea of the damage that they're doing to their valuable "brand". They're really treating the dedicated fan with a complete lack of respect. It's gotta change.
Yeah the current Black Caps (and past sides) have been marketed almost paternalistically to fans as "they're a really good bunch of guys so even when they lose you should still support us" and the Kuggeleijn selection takes the piss out of that.

Now tbh to be consistent with how I would view a random member of the public and employment post not guilty verdict, I have no issues with Kuggeleijn wanting to continue his career even though I've made my thoughts on the verdict and how I know what I know very clear in more private conversation with other CWers. If you are found not guilty of a crime then you are allowed to get a job, anything else is just an extension of the punishment over rehab system we are trying to dismantle inside the prison system.

But - NZC should have addressed this rather than pretend it isn't real while still selling the same narrative. Look at the work NZR and the Crusaders put into acknowledging Sevu Reece and how they have worked on him as a person.

Even that was pushing it in the cbf stakes tbh, but if NZC were willing to show rather than tell then I would have a lot more time for this selection on moral grounds (it was a poor one on cricketing grounds imo). If Kuggeleijn had a solid body of community and rehabilitative work since the case (several years ago now) for example, then that would be a lot more palatable. Even he knows he did something wrong, he admitted it in text.

But instead we get silence on the issues bigger than cricket barring the "such nice guys, punch above our weight" dribble and selection has gone out the gate. The only consistency I see is you need a solid number of FC games under your belt.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely agree that there should always be a road to redemption for anyone, but that NZC did their best to ostrich the situation and pretend it didn't exist. Let's not forget that domestic and ***ual violence is a real problem in New Zealand as a whole and there's a missed opportunity to set an example and improve this element of our culture. Instead, we'll stick our fingers in the ears, clearly encourage stuff not to allow comments on the subject (or coerce more likely) and hope that our association with this wider societal issue just goes away.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
But - NZC should have addressed this rather than pretend it isn't real while still selling the same narrative. Look at the work NZR and the Crusaders put into acknowledging Sevu Reece and how they have worked on him as a person.
Yeah but I still refuse to watch the AB's if Sevu Reece is playing, makes me physically ill.

And yessss... good riddance Larsen.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can’t read very well if he’s misconstrued “David White” as “Gavin Larsen”. Can only hope he’s first of many heads to roll.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was actually thinking the other day, what would Neesham say about SK. Can't imagine he'd hold him in high esteem
There was one T20 they played together, and Neesham ended up next to him when they lined up for the anthems. It seemed to me that every player had linked arms except them - no idea whether that was deliberate or not.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think Larsen deserves some credit for the de Grandhomme selection? I always assumed that he was behind that. It would be interesting to know how much of a say he gets relative to Stead and the captain.

If Edgar is coming back that would be great, although he's currently coaching Wellington in Plunket Shield so not sure how realistic that is.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Larsen moving on was definitely on cards but he wasn't a problem, it has been Stead. Can't wait for the new selector to not agree with the veto power Stead has. At the moment no matter what names are suggested by Larsen and the captain Stead can veto it. Technically Stead is the ultimate the selector, the postman had some role but he could be comfortably over ruled.

Edgar has burnt bridges with nzc so he won't be back. He was treated shabbily when his tenure ended and he spoke out against it as well. Besides Stead won't stand a chance with Edgar who's outspoken and strong character. Role with firebirds is only for a year so won't be a problem moving if at all he wants to. Ideally would be great to have him back but highly unlikely that'll happen.

Would love to see someone like Grant Elliott as a selector. He'd be awesome and most players will be able to relate to him as well as he's only recent retired and understands better than anybody the future of cricket in general and in NZ

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
I forgot about how shabbily Edgar was treated as selector. I didn't realize he had gone for the CE role when it went to David White.