• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some reasons i omitted some players .

1. ABDV - i think he is still not better than Sachin. Because Sachin played much calibre bowlers on the avg:, had much longevity , had to with stand immense pressure, played in much tougher bowling conditions & much bowler friendly rules, good-great avg: in all countries he played in,
has excellent records in worlds cups & tournament knockouts ,has several iconic knocks, brilliant chaser, allround player of every type of bowling etc etc. So i evaluate ABDV's stats based on these factors & hence believe Sachin was the better.

2. Kohli - slightly better finisher than Sachin,has better temperament in chasing huge scores( in other words avg: to good bowliing attacks) but
Sachin was lot better in chasing against great bowling units. And in all other aspects Kohli is still way behind Sachin.

3. Murali - chucking controversy , especially his doosra casted enough doubts thru out his career.

4. Wasim Akram - protege of that proven bottle top operator King Khan. Even with out these unfair tactics he was a brilliant talent. But doubt he would actually have achieved the same stats with out these unfair tactics.

5. Garner lacked longevity. Also him being part of a deadly FAB 4 attack affected him hugely positively.More over Ambrose was preferred because his partner Walsh was strangely below par in onedayers virtually reducing him to an one man army in the majority of his career.

6. Zaheer Abbas - lacked longevity

6. Richard Hadlee - though mainly an one man army, he was not nasty as Ambrose.Ambrose had much longevity.When attacked ,he went into his shell.
All went downhill after 1.5

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Some reasons i omitted some players .

1. ABDV - i think he is still not better than Sachin. Because Sachin played much calibre bowlers on the avg:, had much longevity , had to with stand immense pressure, played in much tougher bowling conditions & much bowler friendly rules, good-great avg: in all countries he played in,
has excellent records in worlds cups & tournament knockouts ,has several iconic knocks, brilliant chaser, allround player of every type of bowling etc etc. So i evaluate ABDV's stats based on these factors & hence believe Sachin was the better.

2. Kohli - slightly better finisher than Sachin,has better temperament in chasing huge scores( in other words avg: to good bowliing attacks) but
Sachin was lot better in chasing against great bowling units. And in all other aspects Kohli is still way behind Sachin.

3. Murali - chucking controversy , especially his doosra casted enough doubts thru out his career.

4. Wasim Akram - protege of that proven bottle top operator King Khan. Even with out these unfair tactics he was a brilliant talent. But doubt he would actually have achieved the same stats with out these unfair tactics.

5. Garner lacked longevity. Also him being part of a deadly FAB 4 attack affected him hugely positively.More over Ambrose was preferred because his partner Walsh was strangely below par in onedayers virtually reducing him to an one man army in the majority of his career.

6. Zaheer Abbas - lacked longevity

6. Richard Hadlee - though mainly an one man army, he was not nasty as Ambrose.Ambrose had much longevity.When attacked ,he went into his shell.
top lel

this is an exceptional post

garner - can't pick him, had too much support
hadlee - can't pick him, was a one man band

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i also don't care who kohli is batting against.

you can put any batsman in history into his shoes and i bet they don't regularly chase down scores with the astonishing ease and precision with which he does.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
I would love to see these "great" bowling units Sachin chased down scores against as well.
by chasing it doesn't necessarily mean finishing off too. because that is dependent on other paramaters too.For instance Sachin was mainly an opener. It is only of sense to assume that it is more difficult for openers to finish off chases than middle order batsmen.I meant in general Sachin was better in chasing against 'great bowling units .

some knocks come to mind
1. 98 vs PAK in 2003
2. 93* vs PAK in toronto 1996 it seems
3 93 vs PAK in adelaide 1999
4. Sharjah desert storms - 2 knocks vs AUS(Warne)
5. 2008 TRI SERIES final in AUS( Brett Lee) -
6. around 93 - vs AUS in 1996 world cup
7. Diana MEMORIAL - though unofficial, was against a world quality bowling unit in swinging conditions.

indiaholic

International Captain
Kohli is far and away the god of chasing.. Tendulkar was significantly better than him in the first innings.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Kohli is far and away the god of chasing.. Tendulkar was significantly better than him in the first innings.
Kohli is better in chasing & finishing mammoth scores. In other words that implies bowling qlty is 'poor' to 'good' at the very best. This doesn't mean Kohli has better technique than Sachin to face deliveries of great bowlers ball after ball and chase down a target in general.This is because it requires only a single delivery to make a batsman discontinue for the rest of the inns. When a batsman face a group of great bowlers, he is always at risk of getting unplayable deliveries now and then which is enough to send him packing back. Sachin had better technique to see of such dangerous deliveries and continue to score in other deliveries when compared to Kohli(atleast Sachin is proven & Kohli unproven in this regard). And we need not discuss about other factors that i mentioned. Sachin was convincingly better

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
by chasing it doesn't necessarily mean finishing off too. because that is dependent on other paramaters too.For instance Sachin was mainly an opener. It is only of sense to assume that it is more difficult for openers to finish off chases than middle order batsmen.I meant in general Sachin was better in chasing against 'great bowling units .

some knocks come to mind
1. 98 vs PAK in 2003
2. 93* vs PAK in toronto 1996 it seems
3 93 vs PAK in adelaide 1999
4. Sharjah desert storms - 2 knocks vs AUS(Warne)
5. 2008 TRI SERIES final in AUS( Brett Lee) -
6. around 93 - vs AUS in 1996 world cup
7. Diana MEMORIAL - though unofficial, was against a world quality bowling unit in swinging conditions.
Dude, I love the desert storm knocks as much as anyone here but you are honestly stretching the limits of your credibility if you start calling those attacks "great". I mean, even Warne was only half fit there and the less said about the rest, the better. Kohli faced better attacks during the run fest of 2013 than Sachin did back then.

indiaholic

International Captain
Did you see Kohli against Amir? Looked like he was playing his own game. His technique is perfectly fine.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dude, I love the desert storm knocks as much as anyone here but you are honestly stretching the limits of your credibility if you start calling those attacks "great". I mean, even Warne was only half fit there and the less said about the rest, the better. Kohli faced better attacks during the run fest of 2013 than Sachin did back then.
Pressure situations can make it feel harder even if the attack wasn't great. He put us in the final all by himself and hit another quality hundred again in the very next game to give us the trophy.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damien Fleming was a terrific ODI bowler, Warne was Warne, and Kasprowicz was pretty decent too. It was not an ATG attack, but far from average.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Symonds should not be in the conversation of allrounders. Either of Dhoni/Gilchrist will be in the world XI. So, it will be a hard hitting batsman at No 6 who can double up as a 6th bowler when required. In terms of that criteria, Symonds is definitely one of the best. The allrounder can be at 7/8 or in the case of Watson/Jayasuriya opening the innings but not at 6. No 6 in ODIs require a specific ability of hitting from ball one and playing a good 30-40 innings which I think even Yuvraj/Dhoni lack but Symonds does.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pressure situations can make it feel harder even if the attack wasn't great. He put us in the final all by himself and hit another quality hundred again in the very next game to give us the trophy.

I agree and that is why I rate them as amongst the great ODI knocks. But as I said, it was stretching ti to call that attack "great". Kasper was not the Kasper he was by the 2003 series and Fleming was honestly the only really good bowler in terms of form that series. In terms of sheer quality, his 175 almost a decade later was better AFAIC.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Symonds should not be in the conversation of allrounders. Either of Dhoni/Gilchrist will be in the world XI. So, it will be a hard hitting batsman at No 6 who can double up as a 6th bowler when required. In terms of that criteria, Symonds is definitely one of the best. The allrounder can be at 7/8 or in the case of Watson/Jayasuriya opening the innings but not at 6. No 6 in ODIs require a specific ability of hitting from ball one and playing a good 30-40 innings which I think even Yuvraj/Dhoni lack but Symonds does.
The guy who hit 6 sixes in an over after facing 2 balls lacks hitting ability. Ok.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The guy who hit 6 sixes in an over after facing 2 balls lacks hitting ability. Ok.
The guy lost us the World T20 final for not able to hit out but just because of that, we can't say he is not an ODI ATG. One offs don't count. The current Indian team actually lacks some one like Symonds. Almost everyone are batsmen who can play a long quick innings after settling down for 10/12 balls. Hardik Pandya is the best bet but he is nowhere close to Symonds. Yuvraj too is in that category who needs atleast 10-12 balls to settle in. I hope Yuvraj comes in the last 2-3 overs some time this series or in future so that we can see what I meant to say.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Still no mentions for dilshan?
Dilshan was a fantastic player in his peak, but he will have to be in the team for his batting, and he is not better than any of Sachin/Gilly/Virat/Viv/Bevan/Dhoni/Ponting/Sanga/Jaya/ABD , so he is not in the conversation for the first ATG team, I think he'll find it hard in the second one as well but will be a lock for third.

Last edited: