• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol what? He played about 12859 ODIs to Symonds 3 didn't he? Of course he'll have more 4-fers in that time. Plus tbf on Symonds, he had much tougher competition for the opposition wickets than Sachin did with McGrath and co.

Is that supposed to show Symonds is better? :p That very point is the biggest factor against selecting Symonds in an ATG ODI XI..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its one thing to compare a bowler who averages 21 to another who averages 28 but at some point, it becomes less important. 37 vs 44 just means they were both ****, just that one had more memorable performances that lead to his team winning.
Not when it mattered the most....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. he did perform much better than Symonds when it mattered most... Its just that it might have mattered less to you does not mean it did not matter in the larger scheme of things.

Zinzan

Its one thing to compare a bowler who averages 21 to another who averages 28 but at some point, it becomes less important. 37 vs 44 just means they were both ****, just that one had more memorable performances that lead to his team winning.
Look I don't want it to seem like I'm suggesting Symonds was an excellent ODI bowler, I just made the point that he was fairly clearly better with the ball than Tendulkar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Guys I did not want to do this but all this BS over rating of Symonds as some God send ODI player has to stop...

Symonds bowling stats in 5+ team tournaments - 5 wkts in 26 games @ 56 and an ER of 5
Sachin bowling stats in 5+ team tournaments - 37 wkts in 79 games @ 35 and an ER of 4.5

Z, you were saying?

They are both mediocre bowlers but Sachin has won matches on his bowling alone far more often than Symonds has. End of story.

Zinzan

Guys I did not want to do this but all this BS over rating of Symonds as some God send ODI player has to stop...

Symonds bowling stats in 5+ team tournaments - 5 wkts in 26 games @ 56 and an ER of 5
Sachin bowling stats in 5+ team tournaments - 37 wkts in 79 games @ 35 and an ER of 4.5

Z, you were saying?

They are both mediocre bowlers but Sachin has won matches on his bowling alone far more often than Symonds has. End of story.
C'mon, HB you're a smart guy, you know I need to know more than just those selected numbers. Where were each of those games played? Who were the opposition? What was the average ER of each of those tournaments etc.

Also, I'm not sure who's saying he was a god send either, I didn't select him as one of my top 10 players or in my ATG XI :p I just happen to think he's in the mix when talking about great ODI Allrounders.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Again.. I do not think he was "great" as an allrounder. As a package player, I see the value he brings but he had about 5 good years and you know you need to do more to make AT XIs in any format of the game really. And the context is obvious. My last two lines sum it up as far as what impact he had as a bowler is concerned.

Sachin won/tied matches bowling the last over of the innings with less than 5 runs needed. Seriously, Symonds is not as good an OD bowler as Sachin was. If Sachin bowled less, it was because he had more injuries and his batting was more valuable to the side. Just the simple nous he brought to his bowling is something that Symonds never had. And I say this as someone who has basically watched his entire career. In terms of being good enough to be in any XI of his era, sure, Symonds brought a skills package that every team of his era would have loved to have but to equate that to an AT XI position, as I said, just seems daft. I dont even think he makes an Aussie AT ODI XI and here we are having to discuss his place in a world XI. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Some god choices there. I wouldn't pick Symonds ftr, nor Pollock. Don't think he's atg odi material personLly, it it's all subjective after all. Afridi too hot and cold with the bat for mine, but I genuinely find it hard to separate the others.

Watson, Flintoff and Kapil all very rounded as allrounders but Jayasuriya the best bet to be selected in an ATG XI I think, simply because of what he offers. And I would choose between Freddie and Kapil for the #7 slot myself and as Z pointed out, Cairns deserves to be in that conversation.

Zinzan

Again.. I do not think he was "great" as an allrounder. As a package player, I see the value he brings but he had about 5 good years and you know you need to do more to make AT XIs in any format of the game really. And the context is obvious. My last two lines sum it up as far as what impact he had as a bowler is concerned.

Sachin won/tied matches bowling the last over of the innings with less than 5 runs needed. Seriously, Symonds is not as good an OD bowler as Sachin was. If Sachin bowled less, it was because he had more injuries and his batting was more valuable to the side. Just the simple nous he brought to his bowling is something that Symonds never had. And I say this as someone who has basically watched his entire career. In terms of being good enough to be in any XI of his era, sure, Symonds brought a skills package that every team of his era would have loved to have but to equate that to an AT XI position, as I said, just seems daft. I dont even think he makes an Aussie AT ODI XI and here we are having to discuss his place in a world XI. :laugh:
Oh yes he would make my greatest Aust XI;

M Waugh
Gilchrist
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Watson
Symonds
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

12th man : Hussey

Shri

Mr. Glass
I would actually say Yuvraj is a better ODI allrounder than Symonds. He would make the side ahead of him.

Zinzan

Watson, Flintoff and Kapil all very rounded as allrounders but Jayasuriya the best bet to be selected in an ATG XI I think, simply because of what he offers. And I would choose between Freddie and Kapil for the #7 slot myself and as Z pointed out, Cairns deserves to be in that conversation.
Cairns does deserve to be in the convo, but his ODI bowling was too expensive for him to make it in.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
reckon warner is on course to take waugh jr's spot in an aussie all time xi.

warner
gilchrist
ponting
jones
watson
bevan
symonds
lee
warne
starc/tait
mcgrath

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Oh yes he would make my greatest Aust XI;

M Waugh
Gilchrist
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Watson
Symonds
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

12th man : Hussey

Lol any which way you balance that side, it will ook MUCH better wtih Mussey in it than Symonds. :)

Zinzan

reckon warner is on course to take waugh jr's spot in an aussie all time xi.

warner
gilchrist
ponting
jones
watson
bevan
symonds
lee
warne
starc/tait
mcgrath
Yeah he would actually, good call. Can't deny what's he's been doing to teams of late. Jeez if he and Gilly came off together... 500 on the cards?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Who is the best allrounder who fits in as top 10 of all time? From the lists so far, I think we have Pollock, Afridi, Jayasuriya, Watson, Symonds, Flintoff, Kapil, Klusenar.

Personally, I will pick Jayasuriya. Have always feared him when he came out to bat against India. He had a steel bat too.
None of them fit the top 10 IMO. Pollock is the best overall ODI cricketer among them, but I would pick Watson in my ATG XI on most days to play the role of the 5th bowler.

kingkallis

International Coach
I will pick players I have seen in action.

Sachin Tendulkar
Wasim Akram
Ricky Ponting
Micheal Bevan
AB de Villiers
Virat Kohli
Muttiah Muralitharan
Allan Donald
Glenn McGrath
Sanath Jayasuriya

MS Dhoni

Playing XI:

Sachin Tendulkar (6)
Sanath Jayasuriya (5)
Ricky Ponting
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Micheal Bevan (7)
MS Dhoni (c) +
Wasim Akram (1)
Muttiah Muralitharan (4)
Allan Donald (3)
Glenn McGrath (2)

OverratedSanity

I would actually say Yuvraj is a better ODI allrounder than Symonds. He would make the side ahead of him.
Interesting argument. Yuvraj hasn't been as regular a bowling option as Symonds was throughout his career, but he's certainly really useful. But his bowling was a huge part in the WC win, which Symonds can't really say.

Symonds takes it because of his fielding but overall I have to say I'm surprised how close they are when I think about it. Don't think there's a massive gap between them.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
I find it interesting that arguably the 2nd and 3rd best ODI batsmen of all time after Viv, don't make your top 10. Obviously I refer to Kohli and AB who to me undoubtedly make up the 3 best ODI batsmen ever. Only problem I have is trying to rank the 3.

It's probably still Viv at 1, AB at 2 & Kohli at 3 for mine.
Some reasons i omitted some players .

1. ABDV - i think he is still not better than Sachin. Because Sachin played much calibre bowlers on the avg:, had much longevity , had to with stand immense pressure, played in much tougher bowling conditions & much bowler friendly rules, good-great avg: in all countries he played in,
has excellent records in worlds cups & tournament knockouts ,has several iconic knocks, brilliant chaser, allround player of every type of bowling etc etc. So i evaluate ABDV's stats based on these factors & hence believe Sachin was the better.

2. Kohli - slightly better finisher than Sachin,has better temperament in chasing huge scores( in other words avg: to good bowliing attacks) but
Sachin was lot better in chasing against great bowling units. And in all other aspects Kohli is still way behind Sachin.

3. Murali - chucking controversy , especially his doosra casted enough doubts thru out his career.

4. Wasim Akram - protege of that proven bottle top operator King Khan. Even with out these unfair tactics he was a brilliant talent. But doubt he would actually have achieved the same stats with out these unfair tactics.

5. Garner lacked longevity. Also him being part of a deadly FAB 4 attack affected him hugely positively.More over Ambrose was preferred because his partner Walsh was strangely below par in onedayers virtually reducing him to an one man army in the majority of his career.

6. Zaheer Abbas - lacked longevity

6. Richard Hadlee - though mainly an one man army, he was not nasty as Ambrose.Ambrose had much longevity.When attacked ,he went into his shell.