• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that batting tho. has a strong case for the best of all the teams
Their batting is their strong suite for sure, but best of all the sides though? I'd need to think about that. Aust, WI, Pakistan & SA all have very strong ATG batting.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Their batting is their strong suite for sure, but best of all the sides though? I'd need to think about that. Aust, WI, Pakistan & SA all have very strong ATG batting.
Maybe WI and Australia can compete but the others' batting is overrated.

Pak - Miandad, Inzi and maybe Anwar
SA - Abdv, Kallis and Amla

OverratedSanity

Kallis is an amazing all round package obviously but in ODIs I wouldn't consider him a great solely for his batting.

OverratedSanity

11.5k runs and 17 tons @ 44. Perfectly good ODI player for the 00s at least but maybe not as a modern ODI player.
I wasn't clear. He's obviously great, but a step below AB, Amla among SA and Tendulkar/Kohli/Dhoni, against whom the comparison was.

vcs

Jeez India's ATG bowling is weak isn't it? I mean Zaheer, Srinath, Ashwin, Kapil and Jadaja really your best 5 ever? I don't often talk NZ up, but compare that to Hadlee, Bond, Vettori, Boult/Chatfield, Mills.
Thing with Indian bowlers is that they have a happy knack of overperforming in WC's etc.

watson

Banned
01. Adam Gilchrist
02. Sachin Tendulkar
03. Brian Lara
04. Viv Richards
05. Virat Kohli
06. AB De Villiers
07. Kapil Dev
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Wasim Akram
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

Tempting to include Dhoni or Bevan as the 'chaser', but Kohli is now the best 'chaser' ever IMO, and the best choice of the three.

In the absence of Dhoni Gilchrist walks into the team; as do Tendulkar, Richards, and De Villiers.

Lara is a somewhat controversial choice but his World Cup record is excellent and you can't really ignore pure class. Under-rated.

Kapil Dev has one of the best bowling ERs of all time and one of the best batting SRs of all time (even if you compare his stats across eras). Legendary in the 1983 World Cup, and a natural at No.7.

A toss up between Hadlee and Pollock as the No.8 bowling allrounder, and either would do nicely in that spot. But Hadlee is just too gooda a bowler to leave out.

Murali or Warne? Murali.

It's difficult to choose 2 bowlers out of Akram, McGrath, and Garner. But Akram's left arm variety, and McGrath's superb World Cup record makes them slightly preferred.

Zinzan

01. Adam Gilchrist
02. Sachin Tendulkar
03. Brian Lara
04. Viv Richards
05. Virat Kohli
06. AB De Villiers
07. Kapil Dev
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Wasim Akram
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

Refreshing to see Hadlee included in someone's AT ODI side. Tragically underrated ODI bowler. Probably second to Garner of ODI bowlers in the first 25 years or so.

watson

Banned
Refreshing to see Hadlee included in someone's AT ODI side. Tragically underrated ODI bowler. Probably second to Garner of ODI bowlers in the first 25 years or so.
Hadlee's World Cup record could have been better, but apart from that his overall ODI is brilliant. I can't think of any other 'bowling allrounders' who are significantly better.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Checked Hadlee's record again and yes, he seems very underrated. Like Garner, he appears to have been both economical and wicket taker. Immense record that. As an all-rounder though there are a few who will pip him.

Zinzan

Hadlee's World Cup record could have been better, but apart from that his overall ODI is brilliant. I can't think of any other 'bowling allrounders' who are significantly better.
Checked Hadlee's record again and yes, he seems very underrated. Like Garner, he appears to have been both economical and wicket taker. Immense record that. As an all-rounder though there are a few who will pip him.
Great old ODI footage.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Always reckon NZ's ATG ODI side is one that would cause some real damage if you could actually run a mythical world cup of ATG teams!

Martin Guptill
Stephen Fleming *
Kane Williamson
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor
Brendan McCullum +
Chris Cairns
Jacob Oram/Lance Cairns/Trent Boult
Dan Vettori
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond

12th- Chris Harris

Last edited:

Zinzan

Always reckon NZ's ATG ODI side is one that would cause some real damage if you could actually run a mythical world cup of ATG teams!

Martin Guptill
Stephen Fleming *
Kane Williamson
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor
Brendan McCullum +
Chris Cairns
Dan Vettori
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond

12th- Chris Harris
Totally agree, I've debated this with OS before. I think it's better than India's ATG ODI XI. Even though India's batting shades NZ, NZ's bowling is significantly better imho.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India's batting doesn't just shade NZ's though. It is overwhelmingly better. And in ODIs, more often than not, India would be favoured to win. That is not to say the NZ side wouldn't win many games.

Zinzan

India's batting doesn't just shade NZ's though. It is overwhelmingly better. And in ODIs, more often than not, India would be favoured to win. That is not to say the NZ side wouldn't win many games.
Historically speaking they do, but there's not that much in it. Currently India lead 49 wins to NZ's 43 & it's 15 a piece on neutral grounds. Batsmen like Glenn Turner get tragically underrated with the bat, being one of the true ODI geniuses in the first decade of the format.

Zinzan

Martin Guptill
Stephen Fleming *
Kane Williamson
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor
Brendan McCullum +
Chris Cairns
Dan Vettori
Richard Hadlee
Shane Bond

12th- Chris Harris
Fleming ahead of Turner is laughable in ODIs tbh, saying nothing about the fact that Astle's way ahead of Fleming in ODIs too. :p